Is 1.5.2 Update2 the end of rubberbanding?

0xDEADBEEF

Rubberbanding is a problem in a lot of games like classical tactical shooters. Often a logic is used to minimize the rubberbanding by softening movement lines by momentum when due to ping a change in movement is not transmitted. But I'ver never seen such extreme effects like in DCS where non moving objects are affected too.

Rubberbanding is a problem in a lot of games like classical tactical shooters. Often a logic is used to minimize the rubberbanding by softening movement lines by momentum when due to ping a change in movement is not transmitted. But I'ver never seen such extreme effects like in DCS where non moving objects are affected too.

I still don't get it...I've never had any of the problems you speak of. So rubberbanding is when an object moves from position and crashes into you?

I still don't get it...I've never had any of the problems you speak of. So rubberbanding is when an object moves from position and crashes into you?

it's when someone has latency issues and/or packet loss, the server doesn't know where to put the plane of that person, so it warps them around till the next packet arrives at the server.

it can cause people to lose radar lock or visual sight of someone when by no means should they have, or cause people collide with each other, also can cause planes to just randomly explode or even despawn.

usually because someones computer doesn't have good enough specs to play on the server they're connected to, or their or the servers connection isn't good enough.

some people exploit this, and intentionally do things to cause packet loss... get someone off their six or dodge an undodgeable missile by just vanishing, then going in behind them before they get kicked for ping or timeout, and re-appearing...

Edited by Hadwell

My youtube channel Remember: the fun is in the fight, not the kill, so say NO! to the AIM-120.

System specs:ROG Maximus XI Hero, Intel I9 9900K, 32GB 3200MHz ram, EVGA 1080ti FTW3, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVME, 27" Samsung SA350 1080p, 27" BenQ GW2765HT 1440p, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p G-SYNC

Controls: Saitekt rudder pedals,Virpil MongoosT50 throttle, warBRD base, CM2 stick, TrackIR 5+pro clip, WMR VR headset.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

it's when someone has latency issues and/or packet loss, the server doesn't know where to put the plane of that person, so it warps them around till the next packet arrives at the server.

it can cause people to lose radar lock or visual sight of someone when by no means should they have, or cause people collide with each other, also can cause planes to just randomly explode or even despawn.

usually because someones computer doesn't have good enough specs to play on the server they're connected to, or their or the servers connection isn't good enough.

some people exploit this, and intentionally do things to cause packet loss... get someone off their six or dodge an undodgeable missile by just vanishing, then going in behind them before they get kicked for ping or timeout, and re-appearing...

Thanks, I understand...beam me up Scotty!

Normally, in most other miultiplayer gamess, when a client hasn't received a packet from the server in time it will predict their current position. A simple example is to just take their previous velocity and orientation and use that to predict where they are now. In a FPS, if that remote player is jumping the client can predict their position from their parabolic arc. Depending on the game type there are all sorts of tricks that can be used to cover up missing or delayed data.

What happens in DCS is totally bizarre; planes randomly warp around. My guess is that it's not a lack of data (or at least not just that) but bad data (either position or velocity) has been received. The client is totally trusting on what it receives from the server and just acts on it.

Maybe it's a really hard bug to track down, but they could at least put in some client side failsafes (throwing out bad data, i.e. if the new position it receives for a plane has it move 500m vertically when it was last moving completely horizontally).