shkval moves withouth input

Sure, it has a mind of its own sometimes but it's manageable. I can only imagine the outcry of the community if ED would change the current target tracking logic to contrast tracking, the howls of rage would fill nights of agony.

Some people do not like realism, when it is to limit their capabilities or adds more challenges to do something.

The current implementation is completely unrealistic, and some people are so custom to that and will defend it because their faith to ED. So as it is always up to ED to change or fix something and it is depending their schedules as their testing for performance impacts etc, it just is so.

From a programmers point of view, the current decision to make it track object IDs is a valid one as otherwise one would need to write software that will ook at your image every few frames and determine if you've still locked onto something with contrast and tell this to the server sim. Imagine doing that with multiple KA50s and targets, the server would go nuts!

There is nothing like that in the server-client requirement. The system can be made real contrast-based and yet use a simple cheating method to communicate for server that WHERE it has been locked (just a point in space) and so on. It is again the client-server task to communicate that what does the missile do. As even Server doesn't need to know where you have locked your targeting system, as it doesn't matter. You can be launching missiles even without any lock, and server cares only about that where missile is flying (direction). For all kind third party softwares like a TacView the system if can inform the camera direction, used FOV and then if having a range information from the system (laser activated, ranged target etc) then that as well. Nothing special really from current ones.

Tradeoffs had to be made to make the game playable. If you can do a better job, or think you can, provide evidence and calculations to back up your claim.

Complaining won't get you far, providing solutions will.

Want first to provide evidence for that the current one is the best solution? If you even provide evidence how the current one is programmed, we can then check the code and come to conclusion that it is either best available, or we can do better, even much better.

But we are not here to do the work for the ED in programming, we are here to tell the problems and discuss for what should be simulated.

Like we can find out that there is odd behavior in the missile flight dynamics, but it is ED job to do all science to confirm it or tell it is wrong.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Yes, I think videos / tracks are very necessary.

Just look at this thread. People still don't understand why the Shkval is problematic and a long time ago I posted my findings about the 'magic Shkval formula' for locking somewhere.

Do you see a single response from ED on this topic anywhere? Did they say the Shkval logic is gonna be reworked for BS3?

I'm feeling like if we don't raise awareness, it's not gonna get fixed. People will just assume it's how it's supposed to work and the few experienced Ka-50 drivers have to deal with the same crap again. A lot of hype for nothing.

• 4 weeks later...

I reckon the popular colour shkval mod is responsible for most of the problems people are reporting.

I tried it for a while and found it severely decreases your chances of locking a target at pretty much any range. Also found the shkval went crazy Ivan a lot more often with the mod as well. As soon as I reverted to standard black and white shkval I could lock targets no problem and it behaved itself pretty well again.

The colour shkval mod looks great but the lock logic is set up for black and white. Colour breaks that logic. Ditch the colour mod if you want your shkval to work again.

I have plenty of videos about that, but I have been wondering is there any use to start doing couple dozen bug reports when the Black Shark 3 is coming out that renders likely everything undone (it is literally same thing as starting now to report bug reports for Black Shark 1).

When I get to on computer where I have those videos, I will post one here about how problematic the system truly is.

Nearly one month later, still no track?

• 7 months later...

Let's keep the thread clean. This bug report is about a specific bug, not other ones, or the state of the module. With regards to Shkval moving on it's own, yes, this has been a bug a long time now. It has nothing to do with mods, as I am running  aclean installation with no mods, never have ran them, and I get this bug sometimes. It has also been reported multiple times, with tracks having been provided. The question is if this bug has been found, and if so, when we can expect it to be fixed. If it isn't found, more tracks are needed, but it is absolutely overdue a long time now.

@BIGNEWY, could you check the status of this issue please?

Thanks in advance.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• ED Team

Hi, 

with any bug report we need a track replay showing the issue, I will be happy to check it out. 

As far as I can see we have no reports for SHKVAL moving on its own, unless my search skills have failed me. 

please remove all unofficial mods before testing

thanks

• Like 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

6 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

Hi, 

with any bug report we need a track replay showing the issue, I will be happy to check it out. 

As far as I can see we have no reports for SHKVAL moving on its own, unless my search skills have failed me. 

please remove all unofficial mods before testing

thanks

No worries brother, here is one of the many threads (this is the longest one) where the issue is described. Further down page, at least one track file is provided. This has been a problem with BS since BS2. It never got solved: 

Just to specifiy, it occurs to us with vanilla DCS, not once a mod installed, so definately no file corruption. The issue is that Shkval will sometimes drift on it's own, esp. if used actively in a close encounter. The ranging will instantly drop (from the actual range down to eg. 0,9 km - displayed on Shkval), a cross appears on Shkval indicating inproper solution and then it drifts uncontrollably to either of the sides, typically right for me. 

- Never had mods. Clean install.

- Laser is on and has been used to range (also verified that it's working, not overheated).

- All the respective systems and buttons are double-, tripple- and quadrupple-checked, and in accordance to the manual-procedure.

- Weapon type selected irrelevant, as is range or any other factor. It just happens, typically once per flight, sometimes more.

- Has been in DCS for ages, since BS2.

Other posts regarding the same issue:

Edited by zerO_crash

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• ED Team

Thanks, 

had a closer look in our reports, it was worded differently, which is why my search failed the first time. 🙂

Shkval mark spontaneously runs down is reported and planned for fixing. 

thanks

• Like 2

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2