RL aim9 version drag. (feed my curiosity)

VIXEN413

Hey everyone,

Was just wondering, all conditions and the rest of the loadout being the same, if the hornet is equipped with 9x or 9m at the wingtip, is there any change it induced drag and possible range of the A/C.

Basically, Looking at the fins of the missile being soo different and their position relative to wingtip vortices, I was wondering if the fins of the 9m were acting like a sort of winglet that would help you somewhat with drag.

Also, wondering if someone did check the theory in dcs...

Thanks in advance..

BR

Rig: MB Gigabite z390UD, CPU Intel I7 8700k, RAM 32G DDR4 3200 Gskill ripjaws, GPU MSI RTX2080SuperOC, HDD Crucial mx500 1tb M2 sata, PSU Corsair 850W, watercooling Corsair h100,

Controlers TM f/a 18 stick on Virpil warbrd base, TM cougar f16 stick on cougar base, Cougar F16 throttle on TUSBA, ch pedals, TM cougar MFD

27" monitor with trk IR 5 and HP Reverb HMD.

Modules F18, F16, F86, Mig15, FW 190D9, Nellis range map, Aggr campaign, Middle East map

Well,

Can‘t answer your Aim-9 question, but would be surprised if there is any net drag reduction bonus, if you subtract any potential gains from the added overall drag caused by carrying the missile itself.

Also, since pylon drag apparently isn‘t modelled on the Hornet, you already get an unrealistic drag reduction bonus.

Regards,

Snappy

Edited by Snappy