The Rookie Thread

Show them, Spenen! :)

noc, someone with BS installed will have to pick it up from here.

its ok dude.. but the missiles I was talking about are the ones in the pedia

not all are carried apparently by the shark, but the KH line should?

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

its ok dude.. but the missiles I was talking about are the ones in the pedia

'50 carries what's listed in the manual. Nothing else.

but the KH line should?

It should. You can use your payload editor (in the mission editor) for your flight to explore aaaaaaall the possibilities, without a shadow of a doubt ;)

Thats a shame. Would been nicer to carry them R-73s....

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

• 2 weeks later...

How do I stop the rudder from over-correcting. X52 Pro (using control column twist).

I can use the Control-Enter and T trimmer, but surely those are only necessarily when flight dynamics change - ie when trying to hold straight and level flight at various speeds.

It's like trying to fly through variable wind conditions and almost always from port to starboard.

Also, most of the helicopters I've flown (simulators, that is) the collective automatically matches power to vertical movement - ie throttle/collective up, you go up and vice versa. But I am having to use the keyboard in conjunction with the collective to rise or go down. Even with minimum throttle the aircraft maintains height (which sounds clever, but isn't what would happen for real). What's going on, and how do I fix it?

• Like 1

Welcome, RobAnt! :thumbup:

How do I stop the rudder from over-correcting. X52 Pro (using control column twist).

Set axis curvature for the rudder axis. Joystick configuration tips and advices

I can use the Control-Enter and T trimmer, but surely those are only necessarily when flight dynamics change - ie when trying to hold straight and level flight at various speeds.

The topic of trimming has been pretty much covered in at least one major topic. Please use the forum search http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b68/Bucic/DCSforum/Instr/ed_forums_search_function.png and go through sticky topics and FAQ's.

Also you should map the [T] to one of your joystick buttons.

It's like trying to fly through variable wind conditions and almost always from port to starboard.

Also, most of the helicopters I've flown (simulators, that is) the collective automatically matches power to vertical movement - ie throttle/collective up, you go up and vice versa.

Simply put those were not simulators.

But I am having to use the keyboard in conjunction with the collective to rise or go down. Even with minimum throttle the aircraft maintains height (which sounds clever, but isn't what would happen for real). What's going on, and how do I fix it?

The 'problem' is that you're new to simulators and for you there's quite a lot to learn. You can start here Sticky: Rookie pilots - Quick Intro. A general note - if you observe a certain behavior of the helicopter in DCS BS you can safely assume it is as it is in reality ;)

Thanks for the tips.

Not so sure about me being a "novice", though. My first introduction to simulators was on the RAF's original Jaguar system at RAF Lossiemouth (Oh, and a quick go on, what I guess was, an elderly Hunter cockpit trainer at RAF Chivenor). back in the early/mid '70's.

I will concede that these were just a quick introduction, but I do understand the further effects of flight control (ie using ailerons and rudder to turn). I find it easier to land an RC helicopter than an RC aeroplane. I guess that's because I can get it closer to me to see what's going on.

And I've owned MSs FS software for years.

I don't agree with your comment "A general note - if you observe a certain behavior of the helicopter in DCS BS you can safely assume it is as it is in reality". Put simply, I'm observing, what I believe are inconsistencies between my commands and the X52 Pro.

For instance; if I use Z & X to control the rudder they work fine, and do what I expect - they revolve the ship around it's center.

So, your mention of "axis curvature" is something I'll investigate further, and of course I'll look all the other links too.

Sorry if my post seemed patronizing to you then :)

Well, the first thing you should investigate is that you've mapped right axes to the right controls. Make sure you map your throttle lever NOT to throttle axis but to collective. Review other axes as well and use the in-game [Ctrl+ENTER] indicator (make sure you know all of its indicating symbols.

Also please make sure you don't have your game set to "Game mode".

I guess at this point the GUI manual will be your close friend :) You can try asking someone over Teamspeak at some MP server to help you out in your entry hours.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi All.

Have just got round to installing the shark and setting up my joystick (Logitech Extreme3D Pro),

which works great in flight sim 2004.

I know that this sim is way different to most game type,so i have printed out the manuals and watched hours of vids and finally took the giant step and tried taking control and doing a controlled hover,now my dilemma is that when i use the throttle to raise the collective i move it a fraction slowly and the shark goes up vertically like a bat out of hell out of control,now question is,can i set the sensitivity of the throttle so that it moves more to the speed of the cockpit collective lever or am i not doing something right.:helpsmilie::joystick:

David.

Hi All.

Have just got round to installing the shark and setting up my joystick (Logitech Extreme3D Pro),

which works great in flight sim 2004.

I know that this sim is way different to most game type,so i have printed out the manuals and watched hours of vids and finally took the giant step and tried taking control and doing a controlled hover,now my dilemma is that when i use the throttle to raise the collective i move it a fraction slowly and the shark goes up vertically like a bat out of hell out of control,now question is,can i set the sensitivity of the throttle so that it moves more to the speed of the cockpit collective lever or am i not doing something right.:helpsmilie::joystick:

David.

Set your axis tuning in the options/controls menu. Be sure to know the axis (you may do so by false assigning a command and moving the axis desiring calibration for knowing which system has it, which is what I do)

Be sure to set it to a slider. You may set a deadzone, user curve, inverted input, or slider depending on config and preference, and test on the spot..

My opinion on that black nipple you call throttle: get Thrustmaster T-flight HOTAS X (which is my tool) and have a decent HOTAS for a spin. It works like magic with blackshark.

That joystick will pain you because you have very little coils to control the resistance generating lift, therefore your throttle mini button works as a short coil rather than a long coil inside, giving less control over collective.

17356.png

my coil

thrustmaster_t.flight_hotas_x.jpgAnd its cheap (30 bucks)

Edited by WildBillKelsoe

Hello all,

i have a question. I want to use the mouse and scroll wheel for looking and zooming but i cant find the controls for that

If anyone doesn't know what im taking about, this guy is clearly using mouse and scroll wheel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oucXaEZG0vM

press Lalt + c

now you can do it..

• Like 1

Set your axis tuning in the options/controls menu. Be sure to know the axis (you may do so by false assigning a command and moving the axis desiring calibration for knowing which system has it, which is what I do)

Be sure to set it to a slider. You may set a deadzone, user curve, inverted input, or slider depending on config and preference, and test on the spot..

My opinion on that black nipple you call throttle: get Thrustmaster T-flight HOTAS X (which is my tool) and have a decent HOTAS for a spin. It works like magic with blackshark.

That joystick will pain you because you have very little coils to control the resistance generating lift, therefore your throttle mini button works as a short coil rather than a long coil inside, giving less control over collective.

17356.png

my coil

thrustmaster_t.flight_hotas_x.jpgAnd its cheap (30 bucks)

Thanks for the heads up,will look at another stick,while waiting will try to get some sense out of the logitech, i need to get some practice in.

David

Thanks for the heads up,will look at another stick,while waiting will try to get some sense out of the logitech, i need to get some practice in.

David

Dont quote images, Dave. Moderators will be pissed. If collective is hard with that nipple, you can always use the num + and num - to increase and decrease.. Hell you can even use an Xbox 360 pad for analog sticks allow for better sense and somewhat immersion (which is what I used prior to the TFHX)

• 2 weeks later...

David

Try using both! thrustmaster t-flight for throttle and rudder and extreme 3d pro for cyclic. I'm using the small throttle axis for wheel brakes. It's a great combo.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Try using both! thrustmaster t-flight for throttle and rudder and extreme 3d pro for cyclic. I'm using the small throttle axis for wheel brakes. It's a great combo.

+1

Read this before buying any joystick!

Newcomers - if you pick a joystick, look for its inside pictures on the internet and check if it's not fitted with junk pots!:vertag:

th_crap_pot_potentiometer.jpg

If you're not into reading much simply don't buy any Logitech sticks nor Thrustmaster's (including Cougar!). That Thrustmaster 16000 something is fine though. Saitek sticks are much better choices in any price range. There's nothing to compare.

Edited by Bucic

Hi Yall.

After much trying and tweaking (set the collective to 2 of the buttons on the base) i finally

got it off the ground and hovering (not to controlled but am practicing),by giving the up collective quick short taps as opposed to a definite press,though as i said in an early post the stick seems so sensitive and am a geek noob at seriously tweaking the settings.

So what you saying is that the saitek X52 is a better proposition for a HOTAS stick.

David

Hi Yall.

After much trying and tweaking (set the collective to 2 of the buttons on the base) i finally

got it off the ground and hovering (not to controlled but am practicing),by giving the up collective quick short taps as opposed to a definite press,though as i said in an early post the stick seems so sensitive and am a geek noob at seriously tweaking the settings.

So what you saying is that the saitek X52 is a better proposition for a HOTAS stick.

David

Well, I got a DOA saitek x52 non pro from amazon, and replaced it with the cheaper, but still reliable, t-flight hotas X. check the above of this page for photos. My slider works very well, as if I own a true collective. Anyways, your money, your choice. cheers. N_O

Im going to buy a Thrustmaster T-Fight Hotas X this week. Its 40€, so i think it cant be a mistake. Gonna play the new BS2 with it. X52 is more then twice the price, sure its better but still. Why spent the money when the Hotas X is good as well.

Depends on how much time you want to spend hitting keys on the keyboard.;)

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Hi Yall.

My new controller arrived today and am in the process of setting it up,so i have a question for X52 users how do you assign the throttle to the collective up and down,i go to options/controls/collective up select the X52 click add and move throttle back and nothing happens,now there so it seems i am doing something wrong but for the life of me i cant see what.

so help me please as i want to get crashing then flying:joystick:.

David

Hey, rookies, have you ever heard about the ED Forums » English » Sim Topics » Input and Output ? ;)

David,

There's nothing specific to X-52 assignments. Please refer to the GUI manual. If you follow steps there and it still doesn't work, please post some screenshots or some more detailed description of your problem. Make sure your joy. is fully functional (in the windows controllers properties). What the GUI manual may be missing is the note that when you have some dodgy buttons or axes (that shoot unintended signals) they may "steal" your assignment. You might want to pay attention to that as well.