The Rookie Thread

Hey everyone!

Can I have a question about landing carrier this rotorcraft? :helpsmilie:

A couple of helipads are available in the A. Kuznetsov russian aircraft carrier, but while it is moving with fast speed, I become ...floating down from the deck and no wheel brakes helping me or maybe I am using wrong the brakes with avoiding some req. switches.

Thanx!

*And sorry for this n00b question.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Welcome AkeR!

Not sure about that one. I've not landed on the Kuznetsov, but the frigates that are usually formed up with it. No problems here in terms of holding fast to the deck:

screenshot025s.jpg

You have the wheel break on, collective fully down and rpm in idle or even auto, and you should be right.

EDIT: Come to think of it, I have had that problem, early on in my experience. See if you can square the chopper away from the edge of the deck, more toward the middle (but not completely) and see what happens.

I'll check it out and see if I can replicate your problem...

Edited by astrospud

Rectum non bustus

Just installed DCS BS. My version is 1.0. Which patch do I install first? The next one up, or the latest? I read on one thread that the training dissapeared after installing the latest patch. Is this correct? Finally, is there a link to a good Saitek x52pro profile file? Thanks in advance

1. Patch the latest release over a fresh install.

2. Training did disappear after 1.0.2 unfortunately...but you can do dual installs (one 1.0.2 and one 1.0.1) on the same computer with just one activation. It's a little bit of a pain, but still the best alternative. Don't forget about the producer's notes (videos) too.

3. X52 profile is really hit & miss. What's good for one will be crap for another. It's best to just build your profile up yourself. While building your profile, I would suggest...

Custom Tooltips Mod

Pit Trainer

And another from Bucic - X52 Printable Button Layout

Hope it helps.

1. Patch the latest release over a fresh install.

2. Training did disappear after 1.0.2 unfortunately...but you can do dual installs (one 1.0.2 and one 1.0.1) on the same computer with just one activation. It's a little bit of a pain, but still the best alternative. Don't forget about the producer's notes (videos) too.

3. X52 profile is really hit & miss. What's good for one will be crap for another. It's best to just build your profile up yourself. While building your profile, I would suggest...

Custom Tooltips Mod

Pit Trainer

And another from Bucic - X52 Printable Button Layout

Hope it helps.

I have 1.0.2 installed before hearing about the broken training videos. Can you point me in the direction where I can install V1.00.or1.01 and keep my 1.0.2 on my C: drive, so that the down-loadable training video .exe files will know where to go when they are first run? Or does the V1.00 already have the training videos included, and are they the same ones? I only found out after several attempts to install the down loadable .exe training video installs that they will NOT work with an ordinary 1.0.2 install:mad:, it seems they will work with a steam install. I'm wondering now if they will also work with a pirated install lol, that has happened to other programs.

Flying sims since 1980

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Mobo: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming

CPU: i7 6700K @ 4.7 GHz

Video: EVGA GTX 1080

Ram: Patriot DDR4 2800 8GBx2

PWR:Corsair RM750i

first post! hello all. i am very new to Black Shark (3 days) and heres what i know: the basics of flying, How to operate the cannon and the camera, how to lower landing gear, how to pop flares and what to do and not to do....but i need to know where should i start next? learning how to shoot missiles? if so plz lead me in the right direction

Hi wizbomb. A strict learning schedule would stress non-combat flight to a confident degree before weapons employment but enjoyment is a priority too so I'd say definitely learn the Vikhr missile. The Vikhr is the primary weapon of the Ka-50 Werewolf and will save you a lot of headache in the form of incoming enemy fire. If you can operate the cannon you're 90% of the way to using the Vikhr.

A lot of people enjoy doing a "manual start up" which is taking the cold aircraft (for example from the Shooting Range mission) to a combat ready state. Apart from the pride of doing it, it helps one become more familiar with most if not all of the Ka-50 systems. Often you'll discover features you didn't even know it had!

You will want to understand engine management and anti-ice. If you can fly the Altitude mission from start to end that should be enough.

Understanding the autopilot in terms of channels, route mode, PVI, holds, stabilization, etc. is both one of the most uniquely challenging and most rewarding ways to invest in Ka-50 understanding. It's a bumpy road to learn but it will make the rest of your flying career with the Ka-50 more sane.

Assuming the basics of flying are just that, basics. Landings, take offs, and hovering (both with and without the auto-hover system) would be next on my list to practice. You should also, in some test missions, find the performance limits of the Ka-50 in terms of rotor collision and vortex ring state. The value of knowing how to get out of VRS quickly will become obvious once you see it in action.

After that you're probably combat effective for most situations. As needed I would fill in AI wingman commanding and Datalink, SAM evading, A2A engagements, ABRIS familiarization, PVI-800 editing, and the rest of the Ka-50's minor systems, backups, additional weapons, and emergency procedures.

• Like 1

Hi wizbomb. A strict learning schedule would stress non-combat flight to a confident degree before weapons employment but enjoyment is a priority too so I'd say definitely learn the Vikhr missile. The Vikhr is the primary weapon of the Ka-50 Werewolf and will save you a lot of headache in the form of incoming enemy fire. If you can operate the cannon you're 90% of the way to using the Vikhr.

A lot of people enjoy doing a "manual start up" which is taking the cold aircraft (for example from the Shooting Range mission) to a combat ready state. Apart from the pride of doing it, it helps one become more familiar with most if not all of the Ka-50 systems. Often you'll discover features you didn't even know it had!

You will want to understand engine management and anti-ice. If you can fly the Altitude mission from start to end that should be enough.

Understanding the autopilot in terms of channels, route mode, PVI, holds, stabilization, etc. is both one of the most uniquely challenging and most rewarding ways to invest in Ka-50 understanding. It's a bumpy road to learn but it will make the rest of your flying career with the Ka-50 more sane.

Assuming the basics of flying are just that, basics. Landings, take offs, and hovering (both with and without the auto-hover system) would be next on my list to practice. You should also, in some test missions, find the performance limits of the Ka-50 in terms of rotor collision and vortex ring state. The value of knowing how to get out of VRS quickly will become obvious once you see it in action.

After that you're probably combat effective for most situations. As needed I would fill in AI wingman commanding and Datalink, SAM evading, A2A engagements, ABRIS familiarization, PVI-800 editing, and the rest of the Ka-50's minor systems, backups, additional weapons, and emergency procedures.

thanks, you gave me alot of pointers :pilotfly: but one question i do have is.....how come on all the youtube videos i see there is a pilot in there plane.....with mine there is an empty seat, id like to have the pilot :helpsmilie:

thanks, you gave me alot of pointers :pilotfly: but one question i do have is.....how come on all the youtube videos i see there is a pilot in there plane.....with mine there is an empty seat, id like to have the pilot :helpsmilie:

Check out the key commands pdf in the game's Doc folder. Search for word 'pilot' and you'll find it. Keep it handy - opened in pdf reader.

• Like 1

OK...one more question...so i have the cannon down packed very good....but i don't know how exactly to fire missiles.....just to fire it is all i need

thanks for all help

1. key commands

2. THE latest extended manual from the official site with checklists

you can learn basics and go into combat in a day (24 hours of flight/reading time :P) to avoid getting frustrated (?) (7 How to Take Off and Blow Up Stuff)

OK...one more question...so i have the cannon down packed very good....but i don't know how exactly to fire missiles.....just to fire it is all i need

thanks for all help

If you just want to fire it then the ATGM jettison switch will do you just fine :lol:

I hesitate to answer your question directly instead of telling you to read the manual section about it. This isn't to be mean but to encourage you by all means to become comfortable, proficient, and eager with manual use. Get the 500+ page full flight manual from the DCS website, get a good PDF reader (I like Foxit, Adobe Reader is awful), and use the PDF search function liberally. The manual is the holy Bible, the manual is God. Read it, know it, refer to it first.

• Like 1

Hi i got another problem i just been watching some tracks of other people flying the black shark , when they use trim evreything is ok when i use trim with my x52 the black shark always does a nose dive , can someone help with what im doing wrong please . i can post a track if anyonw would like to see . thx

If you just want to fire it then the ATGM jettison switch will do you just fine :lol:

I hesitate to answer your question directly instead of telling you to read the manual section about it. This isn't to be mean but to encourage you by all means to become comfortable, proficient, and eager with manual use. Get the 500+ page full flight manual from the DCS website, get a good PDF reader (I like Foxit, Adobe Reader is awful), and use the PDF search function liberally.

:thumbup:

i can post a track if anyonw would like to see . thx

You don't say " i can post a track". You just post it! ;) In the meantime read the FAQ thread section about trim and about the new trim implementation in 1.0.2 in the update changelog.

• Like 1

I know it's been said previously (reading the manual) and I have said it too.

But if you are the type to jump in feet first, then check out the keyboard shortcut PDf that's in the same Doc folder as the manual. It will show you all the keystrokes for whatever you need to know.

However, it won't put into context what each function is. That's what the manual is for! ;)

Rectum non bustus

hello guys,

i am probably going to ask one of the most stupid questions but I am a real rookie when it comes to Black Shark. I bought the game via Steam and I expected some training missions in the training folder. But there aren't. Where can i find them?