Colliding with own bombs during a divebombing attack, bug?

Spacehamster

I went for a divebombing attack at 40 degrees and after release the bombs passed through my plane and exploded.

1. They should have the same speed as my plane on release. And they should follow a trajectory that would make a collision impossible.

2. On the replay you can see the bombs slowing down a lot after release and hovering through my plane before exploding.

The plane was an F5

divebombing_crash.trk

Edited by Spacehamster

In the F-5 it is stupidly easy to go zero or negative G.

If you are at zero or negative G the bombs will be very hesitant to leave your plane, which is bad because they're programmed to explode on the next thing they touch.

I've blown myself up a few times in the A-10 by trying to push the nose down too hard just before dropping.

DCS modules are built up to a spec, not down to a schedule.

In order to utilize a system to your advantage, you must know how it works.

Look at the attached image. It is several screenshots in sequence. The plane explodes shortly after the last. All of this happens in less than two seconds.

The bombs instantly float through the plane and explode after passing through it. Physics says the bombs have the same acceleration vector as the plane on release, and they get pulled away from the planes vector a bit because of gravity. It is a bug. And not some aerodynamic unfortunate G-force.

divebombing.thumb.jpg.96efb424e62caa421cdae54fdbb7ec35.jpg

as i can barely see on a picture: G: -0.3

so watch out for that

Looks like the 2nd to last shows -3.9 unless I'm reading it wrong.

• Like 1

Win 10 64 Pro, MSI Z390 I7-9700K @5ghz Kraken Z63, 32Gb Corsair Dominator, MSI RTX-2070, 1TB NVME 2TB SSD's, TM Warthog, Pro Rudders, OpenTrack w/ IR Clip

Just LOL!

:megalol:

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

You can Clearly see the Horizontal Stabs in a Stick Forward Position/Negative Deflection as well before the last picture where you essentially pull up into the bombs.

Looks Like Your Diving in Negative Gs and Negative/Declining Slope, as Pitch Angle Starts around 52, is 54 shortly after release and Increases Past 55, then you pull up, 47, 44, Boom.

Releasing while still in Negative slope, bombs have a fuze delay, they float through your plane immediately after released from pylon due to negative slope, then you pull up into armed munitions and boom.

Pilot Error.

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Your Plane is in a Negative Slope.

The bombs Continue on the Angle after Release, however your plane is continue to increase the angle of the dive even after releasing,

Your Aircraft is moving down, the bombs arent floating up.

The Pitch Angle on the Info Bar doesnt lie.

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

Your Plane is in a Negative Slope.

The bombs Continue on the Angle after Release, however your plane is continue to increase the angle of the dive even after releasing,

Your Aircraft is moving down, the bombs arent floating up.

The Pitch Angle on the Info Bar doesnt lie.

It is not.

I waited until the negative G passed, then pressed the release, and upon release, there was a sudden negative G generated by the bomb release. Also let's not forget the bombs failing to follow their own inertia and gravity and floating comfortably through the plane before exploding. That sudden negative G spike is not pilot's error. And even if it were, the bombs would press against the mounts before eventually sliding off, and not float through the plane. That is a bug. I was at +0.1 G, but after the release the game decided to create a negative G spike of 0.9.

https://youtu.be/daIpfLo99dY

As you can see the negative G only happened after bomb release and is not pilot induced. Which was the first bug, because a sudden loss of big heavy objects below my wing should have induced a positive G because it would point the plane's nose up. Not the opposite direction. And the second problem is the bombs getting magical instant drag + them passing through the plane before exploding 10m away from the plane without even touching it

Edited by Spacehamster

You were in a Declining Slope when you released.

You Rolled in and Put Stick Forward,

At the Start of the Slow Motion Segment:

Pitch Angle was 51°

Pitch Angle Increased to 53°

Bombs Were Pickled at 53°

Aircraft Continued to Increase Pitch Angle to 55° after release, Bombs Followed the 53° Trajectory

Aircraft Then decreases Pitch Rapidly to less than 40°, and re-intersects with bombs.

The Aircraft/Sim doesnt throw a "negative G" anything at you, your Horizontal Stabs were in Negative Pitch the entire Dive because you executed the roll over late, and have to push the stick forward to put the nose on target, and continued to keep stick forward during release press,.

If any Spikes Happened, it was when you reached to press the pickle button and pushed the stick forward.

Edited by SkateZilla

You were in a Declining Slope when you released.

That slope was done declining as you can clearly see my G was 0.1 + on release. Can you not ignore the mounting evidence?

Also the pich instrument does in fact lie. It might have been misaligned on take-off. But the external camera G display does not lie.

Edited by Spacehamster

That slope was done declining as you can clearly see my G was 0.1 + on release. Can you not ignore the mounting evidence?

Also the pich instrument does in fact lie. It might have been misaligned on take-off. But the external camera G display does not lie.

The Gs do not support your claim, in fact prove my conclusions, anything less than +1.0 G Implies Negative Pitch.

Release at .1G is equivalent to releasing in zero G, which would also indicate a declining slope, as you need to to get less than 1G

You released at -2.9 AoA, the AoA didn't spike, it was a steady increase through out the dive....

The AoA, Pitch Angle, all continued to show declining slope, Even after the bombs were pickled.

I'm not referring to the in Cockpit Pitch, I'm Referring to the Pitch on the Information Bar, which is separate from any in cockpit instruments.

The Evidence shows you released in a declining slope.

They didn't have instant drag, they continued on a path of 53° while you dove to 55° and then pulled up and re-merged into them.

Your IAS Started at 873, Increased to 890 At Release and Continued to 901 when you merged.

Edited by SkateZilla

• ED Team

seeing the same as skatezilla, the drop was forced on to the target outside safe release parameters

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

It is not.

I waited until the negative G passed, then pressed the release, and upon release, there was a sudden negative G generated by the bomb release. Also let's not forget the bombs failing to follow their own inertia and gravity and floating comfortably through the plane before exploding. That sudden negative G spike is not pilot's error. And even if it were, the bombs would press against the mounts before eventually sliding off, and not float through the plane. That is a bug. I was at +0.1 G, but after the release the game decided to create a negative G spike of 0.9.

https://youtu.be/daIpfLo99dY

As you can see the negative G only happened after bomb release and is not pilot induced. Which was the first bug, because a sudden loss of big heavy objects below my wing should have induced a positive G because it would point the plane's nose up. Not the opposite direction. And the second problem is the bombs getting magical instant drag + them passing through the plane before exploding 10m away from the plane without even touching it

Just going to re-quote myself. Because you people show a lack of understanding of physics and vector math and reading comprehension.

They didn't have instant drag, they continued on a path of 53° while you dove to 55° and then pulled up and re-merged into them.

Your IAS Started at 873, Increased to 890 At Release and Continued to 901 when you merged.

They could not have continued on a magic path of 53 because then they would have to pass through my plane, which is physically impossible. But they did that.

Stop blaming the physics bugging out two-fold on players. Attitudes like this delay fixes for bugs for months becuase every bug report has to get through this wall of "pilot's error", even in the face of hard proof which I presented in the video and replay and in the quote at the beginning of this post.

0.1G is a Negative Slope.

I dont have a lack of anything, Physics, Vector math, paths, trajectories, or reading.

The only issue is lack of a Collision Model/Detection on the Pylons, Thus when you pickled, You flew through the Bombs as they continued on their own inertial path.

Releasing in a Negative Slope in Real life, would have send them bombs up into your aircraft, tearing off wings and have the same end result.

So Your, bug claim initially is that the physics of their path after release was wrong,

And when told you had a negative slope, you're switching your argument to collision detection.

Correct?

Edited by SkateZilla

Ignoring the obvious issue where the bombs clipped up through your plane...

As far as I'm aware, 0.1G is way outside release parameters for ANY dumb bomb. The fact that the drop went haywire is not surprising at all.

Edit: didn't notice bignewy's post at the beginning of the page

Edited by Pocket Sized

DCS modules are built up to a spec, not down to a schedule.

In order to utilize a system to your advantage, you must know how it works.

• ED Team

I took the liberty of recording the tacview, hope it helps.

AoA -3.8

G -0.3

-53.7 pitch

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2