New File Integrity Check

Shahdoh

• ED Team

There are no plans to disallow mods.

However, there will be some changes in modding methods, to make them more refined and structured than the current "just change the game files" fashion.

Old method of IC just can't reliably work, because its underlying assumptions were wrong.

Dmitry S. Baikov @ Eagle Dynamics

LockOn FC2 Soundtrack Remastered out NOW everywhere - https://band.link/LockOnFC2.

• ED Team

However, there will be some changes in modding methods, to make them more refined and structured than the current "just change the game files" fashion.

Old method of IC just can't reliably work, because its underlying assumptions were wrong.

:thumbup:

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Great to hear. Im not against such changes :thumbup:

What I want to be able to integrity check is a player in one of my missions joining an su-25T slot, and arming the plane with 8 kh-41p missiles...

[TABLE][sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]|

[/TABLE]

Good to know about the new modding method.

Why must run a modded client in a IC enabled server? Clean client check is very important for those online competitions.

A cheater can use AIM-54 on Su-27 and make everyone know he is cheating. But he may also just modified his aircraft's weight a little lighter or gun round a little more powerful, getting some advantage without knowing by others.

I think the pure client checking is a must have function.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It would be for the server owners to decide what mods he wants to allow for his missions, whether it be a texture/sound mod, additional objects within the massion. Then the clients need to be able to match what that server/mission allows.

Yes, clients should always be IC checked versus what the server owners choose to run. Not every mod is designed as a cheat. In fact the MAJORITY of mods expand what DCS has given us. Those of us that run servers, particularly competitive ones, want the IC system, but it needs the flexibility of desirable mods.

• ED Team

The old IC method will not return because it was trivial to hack it around. May be it was not a common knowledge, but the method was fundamentally flawed.

Not that the new method completely replaces the old one as of now. There's still much work to do. But this will be work in the right direction.

LockOn FC2 Soundtrack Remastered out NOW everywhere - https://band.link/LockOnFC2.

Thanks Coff, but I am still not seeing an answer to my question. Are they going to allow mods to be incorporated into the new IC system at servers discretion(at any point in the future)

?

Edited by Shahdoh

• ED Team
Thanks Coff, but I am still not seeing an answer to my question. Are they going to allow mods to be incorporated into the new IC system at servers discretion(at any point in the future)

?

Don't know about "they", but we are. It will require some means to identify the user mods, though - this is not implemented yet.

The old IC method will not return because it was trivial to hack it around. May be it was not a common knowledge, but the method was fundamentally flawed.

Not that the new method completely replaces the old one as of now. There's still much work to do. But this will be work in the right direction.

:thumbup:

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"

Limited testing, yes. I have a mission that uses 1 added object to the DCS files, a custom race cone. No DCS files were changed. I was able to start a MP session with IC turned on and then had friends try to connect. Whether they had the mod or running clean installs, they were unable to join. Once I removed the mod back to a completely clean install, then others with clean installs could join the IC enabled session.

So far, that's the limit of my testing.

• ED Team
Limited testing, yes. I have a mission that uses 1 added object to the DCS files, a custom race cone. No DCS files were changed. I was able to start a MP session with IC turned on and then had friends try to connect. Whether they had the mod or running clean installs, they were unable to join. Once I removed the mod back to a completely clean install, then others with clean installs could join the IC enabled session.

Can you, please, reproduce the situation with at least 1 client and send me the dcs.log from the server?

• ED Team
Limited testing, yes. I have a mission that uses 1 added object to the DCS files, a custom race cone.
Please attach your 'cone' script file and short instructions for this mod installation.

Men may keep a sort of level of good, but no man has ever been able to keep on one level of evil. That road goes down and down.  
Можно держаться на одном уровне добра, но никому и никогда не удавалось удержаться на одном уровне зла. Эта дорога ведёт вниз и вниз.

G.K. Chesterton

DCS World 2.5: Часто задаваемые вопросы

• ED Team

That's right. Adding mods in 'DCS World\mods' folder is not allowed. Mods can be added only to home folder ('Saved Games\DCS\Mods.....')

Men may keep a sort of level of good, but no man has ever been able to keep on one level of evil. That road goes down and down.  
Можно держаться на одном уровне добра, но никому и никогда не удавалось удержаться на одном уровне зла. Эта дорога ведёт вниз и вниз.

G.K. Chesterton

DCS World 2.5: Часто задаваемые вопросы

• ED Team
Could you explain what is the difference ? How is the new IC actually working ?

Can the servers have mods or not ? Can we have textures and sounds mods ? (As I understand this hasn't been implemented yet, has it ?)

P.S. Players can't join servers which have mods and IC on, no matter if they have mods or not ?

DCS includes manifests, which contain hash/size information about core game files. Modules, located in the game install folder are required to have manifests. If case of any manifest check failure, the client is marked as non-IC-compliant and he can't enter servers requiring the IC. Currently, only a selection of files is checked. Sound/texture modifications are not checked yet.

Modules, located in the 'Saved Games' folder are not expected to have manifests, yet.

The big plan is that:

1) the installed game files are not allowed to be modified.

2) all modification to the game can only be done via user-created 'modules'. Be it sound, texture, model, or unit modfication or a mix of such.

3) each user module will be required to have a manifest, created by an official tool (most likely, the tool will be shipped with the game).

This will make the modifications to the game identifiable and controllable - that is, server owners will be able to control which exact versions of user-mods are allowed to be used by their clients.

And of course, all this implies a published documentation on how to use all this features.

Edited by c0ff
corrected info about the manifest tool.

DCS includes manifests, which contain hash/size information about core game files. Modules, located in the game install folder are required to have manifests. If case of any manifest check failure, the client is marked as non-IC-compliant and he can't enter servers requiring the IC. Currently, only a selection of files is checked. Sound/texture modifications are not checked yet.

Modules, located in the 'Saved Games' folder are not expected to have manifests, yet.

The big plan is that:

1) the installed game files are not allowed to be modified.

2) all modification to the game can only be done via user-created 'modules'. Be it sound, texture, model, or unit modfication or a mix of such.

3) each user module will be required to have a manifest, created by the publicly available official tool (most likely, shipped with the game).

This will make the modifications to the game identifiable and controllable - that is, server owners will be able to control which exact versions of user-mods are allowed to be used by their clients.

And of course, all this implies a published documentation on how to use all this features.

Nice, seems like a reasonable protocol.

That said, let's assume I'm a Single Player user and I use a bunch of SP modules, that either edit .lua files or add textures. Will this integrity check prevent me from running the game althogether, forcing even SP mods to have a manifest, or is it only a check that happens when connecting to MP servers?