Which Mig I should buy? (A/G/S)

Hi guys, I would like to know which of the three versions in play today is the best choice for use/purchase.

Are there differences in terms of engine performance and weight/performance?

I've seen that from a while, finally, the Mig-29 has a PFM, is it applied to all three versions?

I think I explained myself, besides this, I would like to know what differences there are in terms of countermeasures and armaments, and which are recommended for a bit of fun in PvP servers.

Thanks a lot in advance to everyone

You get all three no matter if you buy FC or the just the MiG-29. The S is applied to the 9.13 it does have slightly more fuel, jammer, TWS with R-77s and can fire gun with central fuel tank. Differences in radar and cockpits are not modeled. I have not tested it but have never heard someone mention that the G also has the engines in the less powerful detuned mode. It only appears if you select MiG-29A under the German coalition.

Edited by AeriaGloria

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

You get all three no matter if you buy FC or the just the MiG-29. The S is applied to the 9.13 it does have slightly more fuel, jammer, TWS with R-77s and can fire gun with central fuel tank. Differences in radar and cockpits are not modeled. I have not tested it but have never heard someone mention that the G also has the engines in the less powerful detuned mode. It only appears if you select MiG-29A under the German coalition.

First of all, thank you for your reply.

What does it mean: "The S is applied to the 9.13"?

So if I understand correctly there is no difference in performance and the best and most up-to-date choice is the S version?

I have read that has an older graphic and the in-game plane weight's more.

It weighs more because of larger fuel tank more fuel and ECM. The S is an upgrade that can be applied to 9.12 or 9.13, the one we have in DCS is a 9.13.

So do you recommend the S version, despite the higher weight?

P.S.

Why we don't have the 2nd generations of 29?

Like M or K? (9.15 or 9.31)

Search is your friend there are many long threads about the subject.

It depends what you are doing. If only pvp yes S is more capable, also has expanded G and alpha and deflection limits. More nations operated 9.12s and many more 9.12s were built than 9.13s. 9.12 is also better looking and has more liveries.

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

MiG29A: First version.

MiG29G: "German version" MiG29A but modified. Can carry drop tanks under wings. Also warning system "Betty" has german voice.

MiG29S: Newer generation. Internal ECM Jammer. Slightly better radar. More internal fuel. Can carry R-77 Active Missile (russian Amraam). Can also carry the extended range ER and ET missiles.

Also has more advanced flight control system (not simulated). Has more loadout options for Air-Ground missions compared to 29A.

MiG29S is the most capable version. MiG29A and G are fun for challenge or for historical reasons.

All variants are included in Flaming Cliffs 3 package or the MiG-29 separate module. Worth noting if this is your first DCS purchase:

Flight modeling is excellent PFM. But cockpit is not clickable and systems are a bit simplified.

Later versions of the MiG-29 (like 9.15 or 9.31) are not avalible and will not be. Modeling of new russian aircraft in high detail is a "no go" for several reasons.

Edited by Schmidtfire

Search is your friend there are many long threads about the subject.

It depends what you are doing. If only pvp yes S is more capable, also has expanded G and alpha and deflection limits. More nations operated 9.12s and many more 9.12s were built than 9.13s. 9.12 is also better looking and has more liveries.

"Search is your friend" - I have already looked in this section, but the answers present only partially answered my doubts.

"More nations operated 9.12s and many more 9.12s were built than 9.13s." - I don't understand this part.

Thanks anyway for the answer, also the aesthetic aspect is certainly important, a model better defined and with more liveries is certainly more appealing.

Lots of countries operated the 9.12 as it was exported towards the end of the Cold War. Fewer nations use the 9.13 as Sukhoi became more popular as an export. I don’t have exact production numbers other about 1600 made and line is still open for MiG-29M orders it seems. Wonder if there will be any attrition replacements for the Russian Navy. But with the Kuznetstov perhaps being scrapped who knows.

I know it’s wiki but it’s usually good with operators

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Mikoyan_MiG-29_operators

Maybe the 9.12s and 9.13s part threw you off. I was just referring to the number in existence of 9.12 models and 9.13 models. I should have just wrote 9.12 and 9.13.

As for red air it’s a hard question to answer and frequently debated, some say it is because of Russian tech export law, and then there’s that thing ED said that they couldn’t do anything more modern than Su-24. Recently Wags said in a podcast 3rd parties could do them if they proved they have the info, very complex subject. You should look in chit chat section it usually is moved there https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=206392&highlight=Modern+red

Edited by AeriaGloria

Schmidtfire I wanted to ask, you heard the expanded alpha and g limits are not modeled in our S model? I have no idea, had not personally heard anything either way on that specific subject. I know that’s OT a little but it is important that not all differences are modeled.

I don't think that is modeled. Also real MiG29 has a 4G limit when center tank is mounted. Don't think that limit is simulated. IRST system is over-performing in DCS module. Helmet sight has simplified symbology and functions (is closer to KA-50 type crosshair IRL).. etc.

Flaming Cliffs series modules are a bit simplified. They are still very detailed compared to other sim and flight games but not as detailed as the clickable DCS modules if that makes sense.

Still great fun and a very good value for the money :)

Schmidtfire I wanted to ask, you heard the expanded alpha and g limits are not modeled in our S model? I have no idea, had not personally heard anything either way on that specific subject. I know that’s OT a little but it is important that not all differences are modeled.

I seem to remember Chizh mentioning something about this on the Russian section once, but I cannot remember if they were going to implement it or just thought about doing it.

JJ

I don't think that is modeled. Also real MiG29 has a 4G limit when center tank is mounted. Don't think that limit is simulated.

The MiG-29 as such does not have a 4G limit for the centerline tank. All stores come with some restrictions that should be observed by the pilot for safe operation, but they are not systemic - i.e. the flight control system does not impose them.

So its not a limit they can simulate other than the aerodynamic/weight effect of ordinance.

JJ

Yes Schmidt, I do agree the IRST probably performs better than its real life counterpart(as it appears equal with the flankersin game), it is a much smaller unit than what’s in the Sukhois.

I always think it’s funny with all the MiG and Sukhoi HMDs that lock on causes green circle to follow the target!

Yes. The IRST are overperforming on Sukhois too. Interview with pilots also confirm that it was not very good system. I can see it work together with GCI interception IRL, but in DCS it is very accurate and effective finding targets.

I agree, moving circle on lock is weird. In reality you have a crosshair with a circle. You put symbology over target and slave missile seeker head. Also audio tone should be heard when the missile aquires a target...

Yes Schmidt, I do agree the IRST probably performs better than its real life counterpart(as it appears equal with the flankersin game), it is a much smaller unit than what’s in the Sukhois.

I always think it’s funny with all the MiG and Sukhoi HMDs that lock on causes green circle to follow the target!

Not everything has better performance in the game.

The engines for example.

There are reports of AW in which Valery Menitsky (one of the most awarded Russian pilots, and the chief Mikoyan tester) said that in afterburner power it normally takes 8 sec. to accelerate from 600 to 1100 km/h at low altitude.

There was specified the weight of the plane in reference, it was a configuration for just over 33.000 lbs (15,000 kg or slightly over).

However, in game, we are not at these levels, if I remember correctly someone did some tests and staying on those values we talked about 12 seconds.

Which is about the time taken by an F15 to over 44,000 pounds.

Thanks to all of the answers and to have clarified my doubts, I will be able to start with clearer ideas now.

When a Sukhoi pilot says the system was not very good, then we cannot really say from that if the system in DCS is worse or better. To me it is also not very good, because it is useless in head on BVR. It is nice for chasing someone, because then it has a good range, which is very plausible.

The range of the laser rangefinder is certainly overmodeled,

I used to think the laser range finder was overmodeled since it should have 10km or less range, until I read that short blips of radar are used to find range beyond 10km. I should’ve saved the source where I read that....