DCS World 2.0 and New Maps Discussion Thread

Wags

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks fabulous! I've got DCS:Black Shark but never put it on my hard drive for serious play because my rig is far too inferior to the fundamental requirement of the game. My HD 4870 is sort of out-dated compared to other 5000 series. And I don't think DCS: Black Shark uses quad core CPU, so my Q6600 is not fully utilized by the game.

I ran it for an hour and gave up. But the avionics is damn impressive, it actually reminds me of Jane's Longbow which I played time after time almost a decade ago.

So this A-10C Warthog is a whole new add-on like Red Viper in Falcon 4 ? Or it's just a single ship add-on? Anyhow, when is it due out?

Cool thanx for those pics!

The light, textures and shaders look not good at all in those and HDR doesnt seem to have the factors given to really reveal their power.

BUT the last couple of screen shots looked so much better that I am pretty sure it s really about the airbase preview here more on a geometry level.

And yes the base is very sweet!

And talking about the last screen shots, are there texture channels for specular and/or glossiness now?

Because it kinda looked like the specular on the flying F15Es were broken up.

That would be so sweet for giving different surface attributes to weathered or camouflage paintings.

Thanx again for feeding the horde :) great job!

This will get the best sim of all times.

4790K@4,6Ghz | EVGA Z97 Classified | 32GB @ 2400Mhz | Titan X hydro copper| SSD 850 PRO

Moments in DCS:

--> https://www.youtube.com/user/weltensegLA

-->

WELD's cockpit: --> http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=92274

Thanks for the update, really looking forward to this one!!

Keep up the good work ED, luckybob9, and Zimster! :thumbup:

[sigpic]http://www.virtualthunderbirds.com/Signatures/sig_LD.jpg[/sigpic]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Corsair 750D Case | Corsair RM850i PSU | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X CODE | 32GB Corsair DDR4 3200 |

Intel i7-8086K | Corsair Hydro H100i v2 Cooler | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW | Oculus Rift |

X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty | Samsung SSD 970 EVO 1TB NVMe | Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB | WD Caviar Black 2 x 1TB |

TM HOTAS Warthog | TM Pendular Rudder | TM MFD Cougar Pack | 40" LG 1080p LED | Win10 |

So this A-10C Warthog is a whole new add-on like Red Viper in Falcon 4 ? Or it's just a single ship add-on? Anyhow, when is it due out?

It's a separate game. I believe the intention is to make it network-compatible with other DCS titles (the only other one at the moment is Black Shark), but otherwise it's not an "add-on" but a separate product. The DCS titles each have one flyable aircraft modeled in excruciating detail.

No firm release date (since ED try not to make promises until they know they can keep them), but their latest stated hope/intention/desire was to release it by the end of the year. My guess is 11:59pm on December 31st. :D (I imagine they would want to at least get it out before the Christmas break.)

First of all thanks for the update, From what we see Nellis AFB looks great and very lively considering all static aircraft and objects in those shots.

Now here's few questions, DCS:A-10C is gonna present Nevada theater when it comes out, right? Now IIRC, all in game Hog trainings are to be done flying off from Nellis AFB but are there gonna be any war campaigns in Nevada theater?

I was thinking of virtual Red Flag campaign as a final part of a DCS:A-10C training syllabus, I'd still like to see A-10C training in such manner of completing the course in Nevada and passing the final Red Flag campaign before being able to unlock or let's say virtually redeploy to Caucasus theater!

From what I see Nevada terrain is even more detailed in mesh than actual Caucasus/Georgia from DCS:Black Shark and FC2.0 or you simply run all graphics maxed out?

New F-15C and F-15E look great so I wonder who is the creator of new F-15C 3D model? I really like Gys and Valery Eagle, I use it with both FC1.12a and FC2.0 so a simple poly comparison between the two would be realy welcome. I always wondered why ED didn't select Gys' F-15C for DCS:A-10C, is it becuse the one in Nellis screenshots is even better (more detailed)?

Thanks Wags once again!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

[Assumptions On]

I take it that the aircraft parked on the apron are static are are not placed in relation to the taxi lines - eye candy. Given the aircraft proportions and the taxi lines, it appears that the lines should be place further apart or there should be less of them. Also, as someone else mentioned, the taxi lines appear to be about 10x scale (but then proper taxi lines on the parking aprons have always been a problem). I hope the spawn points for aircraft correlate to the taxi lines....

[Assumptions Off]

Other than that, I love the new base - absolutely!

Taxi and runway markers are looking superb. Of course, all these graphic additions to the airfield beg the question: do we, or will we, get to have Clearance Delivery, Ground Control, Tower, and ATC communications in different channels and will there be a competent conversational exchange [hand-offs] between the aircraft and these actors - an expanded tower communications ["\"-"F6"] structure maybe? Can we pre-program UHF/VHF radio channels specific to the map we are flying?

Edited by Oscar

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I was watching a local show called good game that was covering PS3 and XBOX games at e3 recently showing the gesture control and voice control games and demos coming up and I could help but think how good the tech would be blended into ATC and JTAC in DCSW

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

Combat Wombat's Airfield & Enroute Maps and Planning Tools

cw1.png

Are the rest of the airfields in the Crimean map going to get a face lift as well?

From the FAQ:

Q: Has the old terrain been updated?

A: Several airfields have been made more detailed and feature new textures, VASI, lighting, taxiway signs, and terminal buildings.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=56699

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Yes indeed. It would look better without that post-processing, or better yet, with true HDR instead of bloom.

The entire scene looks very brownish. I would expect in a sunny day at Nellis that the sunlight would increase the contrast and make the colors really stand out, not wash them out.

The shadows on the ground looks off, like the plane is floating (probaby because the lack of self-shadowing on the planes).

EDIT - Also the bloom effect used is wrong (unfortunately, few developers seems to use bloom in the correct way). The bloom should occur only in very bright areas, when the light bleeds into other objects (example, sitting in a dark room looking out the window to the sun, the frames around the window get "bloomy"). When I see bloom used everywhere, I cringe.

Edited by SFJackBauer

HDR makes it look toonish... perhaps because it is WIP?

Exactly. It's not HDR though. It's good it will be optional.

Edit:

Regarding the Warthog FAQ - the Georgia terrain update will be huge! The current map barely reaches the center of Georgia

dcsgrnd_new_airports_map_big.jpg

map link http://goo.gl/maps/XTRI

Edited by Bucic
  • Like 1

Yes indeed. It would look better without that post-processing, or better yet, with true HDR instead of bloom.

The entire scene looks very brownish. I would expect in a sunny day at Nellis that the sunlight would increase the contrast and make the colors really stand out, not wash them out.

The shadows on the ground looks off, like the plane is floating (probaby because the lack of self-shadowing on the planes).

EDIT - Also the bloom effect used is wrong (unfortunately, few developers seems to use bloom in the correct way). The bloom should occur only in very bright areas, when the light bleeds into other objects (example, sitting in a dark room looking out the window to the sun, the frames around the window get "bloomy"). When I see bloom used everywhere, I cringe.

It will look better when it's completed, capable artists at work here. The inablilty to understand the WIP meaning may result in fewer WIP screenshots which will result in suckage at it's finest. :D

The actual expanded maps is shown here:

http://www.simhq.com/_commentary/all_101c.html

Exactly. It's not HDR though. It's good it will be optional.

Edit:

Regarding the Warthog FAQ - the Georgia terrain update will be huge! The current map barely reaches the center of Georgia

dcsgrnd_new_airports_map_big.jpg

map link http://goo.gl/maps/XTRI

If the map in that link is sized to show what we will have, and I presume it is, then..........DAMN!:shocking:

The inablilty to understand the WIP meaning may result in fewer WIP screenshots which will result in suckage at it's finest. :D

I agree:)

Edited by Wags

I only respond to that little mechanical voice that says "Terrain! Terrain! Pull Up! Pull Up!"

Who can say what is impossible, for the dream of yesterday is the hope of today and the reality of tomorrow.

-Robert Goddard

"A hybrid. A car for enthusiasts of armpit hair and brown rice." -Jeremy Clarkson

"I swear by my pretty floral bonet, I will end you." -Mal from Firefly