Mount pleasant airbase poll

=DECOY=

Mount pleasant airbase poll  

236 members have voted

1. 1. Mount pleasant airbase poll

• Yes
    • No

Knowing the DCS Community, once everybody has played their fantasies of the '82 conflict some voices start to raise that the map is 'boring', 'empty' and just 'a big pile of water'. I'd vote to put it in :)

''Greed is a bottomless pit which exhausts the person in an endless effort to satisfy the need without ever reaching satisfaction.''

Erich Fromm

I agree, add the airbase.

I’d like to think most people can happily ignore it for historical contexts.

I can’t ignore the value of creating future missions that are based on interesting hypothetical situations, that will increase the interest and replay ability of this map.

I don’t really want to be limited to one era in any map theatre.

Edited by Boomer_QLD
Typo :-)

yes must be available (option/modern mod/etc)

Plus I was used after the war in the 80s/early 90s , argentine air force send planes straight tothe island to make the British on alert and send planes but before get close to BR air space the argentine planes turn back.

That wasdone several times.

some post war intercept missions do happened.

I feel sad to say this, but the possibilities increase with the airbase. Taking it away with scenery tools might be a solution. Never having it from the start is a point of no return. ED already had this issue with Normandy, I think they really need to, after all these years fix the capabilities of farps and airfields on maps else face issues with maps becoming very fixed for mission design and thus limited.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

• 3 weeks later...

I am continuing to investigate with ED if there is any way round this. One idea I had was to maybe have a different map file loaded depending on which date was chosen. I,e, pre 12th May 1985 would load one map and post would load another, whoever, currently this feature isn't available with DCS at the moment. I have requested the feature be added.

This would make the actual download of the map a lot larger but that's the price you pay for having essentially 2 terrains.

Fingers crossed.

Thanks Specter

Custom built W10 Pro 64Bit, Intel Core i9 9900k, Asus ROG Maximus Code XI Z390, 64GB DDR4 3200 RGB, Samsung 1TB NVme M.2 Drive, Gigabyte AORUS 2080TI, 40" Iiyama Display. Wacom Cintiq Pro 24, HOTAS Virpil T50 Stick / FA-18C TM Stick and Virpil T50 Throttle, MFG Crosswind Graphite Pedals. HP Reverb

SPECTER

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lead Terrain Developer / Texture Artist

I am continuing to investigate with ED if there is any way round this. One idea I had was to maybe have a different map file loaded depending on which date was chosen. I,e, pre 12th May 1985 would load one map and post would load another, whoever, currently this feature isn't available with DCS at the moment. I have requested the feature be added.

This would make the actual download of the map a lot larger but that's the price you pay for having essentially 2 terrains.

Fingers crossed.

Thanks Specter

Thanks for the efforts! I really hope there will be some way to enable a realistic representation of the Falklands at the time of the conflict!

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Why not a simple approach?

A official Razbam static template with all the 3D objects, buildings, tower and runway of the Mount Pleasent Airbase that any user can load on the South Atlantic map at will.

Like new artillery batteries, ships and vehicles Razbam are modeling i think is much easier to create this new 3D models like any other static object DCS already have in the editor, create a template with the correct location on Mount Pleasent and let the end user use it or not.

The only issue i see is the 3D object for the runway itself. I dont know If is possible to create such object adapte to the terrain shape and more important, with the capabilities of the normal bases that already exists (radio, beacons, rearm, refuel)

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

I'm very new to DCS but really looking forward to this map set. I spent many detachments flying down there and although the area is quite small in aviation terms, there is enough variety to make it interesting (especially if you include newer facilities). If there is a way to keep everyone happy with both options, then that is great but otherwise, I do think including RAF Mount Pleasant is the most sensible way to go. Having a single 4000ft runway would be quite limiting and Stanley's runway would be too short for the majority of fast air in DCS (it had to be extended and fitted with arrestor gear to allow for Phantom operations post conflict, and even then Harriers remained in some capacity as it was still too short if there was a crosswind). Including Mount Pleasant airbase, and possibly also the facilities at Mare Harbour and at the mountain radar sites would provide much more flexibility for scenario creation.

Disappointing that it will be put in based on the poll results but hey, that's how it goes.

I like the idea of 2 maps, a realistic one to simulate operations during the conflict. And, a fantasy one for... well, whatever.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog

South Atlantic Map

I agree there should be two separate maps. They would be bought as one but installed as two separate map options. They would share the majority of terrain files so as to reduce download size and HDD/SSD space. The 1982 version would have the same terrain shape as the modern equivalent including the flat surface required for Mt Pleasant runway / taxiways etc, but minus the actual runway/taxiway images and buildings. Mare harbour would also be the same, as would Stanley airfield and the modern radar installations (Mt Kent, Byron Heights, Mt Alice etc). Terrain shapes being slightly unauthentic would not stand out enough on the 1982 version to spoil the illusion, whereas the colours and objects of the airbase/radar stations harbour features would stand out greatly on the small, virtually flat map.

If this is not possible however, as a last resort it would be best to include all modern features to give the clients more scenario options and thus open up the map to a wider audience.

It would be good for ED to produce a map maker program and allow the clients to make their own maps, whilst companies such as RAZBAM concentrate their resources and efforts on the aircraft and units.

ANT (EGNF) UK

Edited by antonovia

I preferred an accurate, flexible, contemporary South Atlantic map - so I'm glad Mount Pleasant will be part of the standard map.

Hopefully it'll be suitable for coin op's and what if scenarios where Argentina takes and reinforces the islands before a British task force arrives, a conflict over oil/fishing grounds, etc., etc.

No doubt I'll recreate some missions from Peter Squire's 'The Harrier Goes to War' that describes the 1982 conflict in detail and I'll leave Mount Pleasant unmanned/underutilised for those but I don't foresee any major issue, other than the need to substitute/limit existing flyable aircraft/weapons for missing 1982 DCS assets.

Note / Question :

I do struggle to understand the opposing view or why some want a 'hard baked' South Atlantic map set in 1982, while at the same time fighting faux conflicts in 2011 Caucasus and/or Persian Gulf settings.

Perhaps someone can explain what a 1982 period accurate map brings and why Razbam should ignore the wishes of 75% of the people who replied to the poll.

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

I have produced a couple of Falklands war 2 missions (available on the DCS website) and have based them on the Caucasus map, around the Kerch Strait between Crimea and the Russian coast. This use of a completely different part of the world requires quite a stretch of the imagination to really allow anyone to enjoy the mission (including myself) but It still allows for a rough approximation of a more contemporary conflict as the features of the area chosen allow for positioning of key objectives semi-accurately, ie; RAF Mount Pleasant (Anapa) being not too far West of Stanley (Novorossysk) and on the same land mass, etc.

I think in order to produce a 1982 scenario, it would be too much of a stretch of the users imagination to eliminate Anapa / Mount Pleasant from the map in their heads during said mission. Anapa would always be there in full view and in the centre of the best area to use. This and the need for older versions of the aircraft currently in DCS World, is why I don't try to make a 1982 Falklands war mission, in the Caucasus map.

So I can imagine why people wouldn't want a massive modern airbase sitting there, populated with units or not, smack in the middle of the East Island during their 1982 scenarios on the South Atlantic map.

However, unless a solution to the different periods problem can be found, it's best RAZBAM produce the modern version and I agree with your statement '...while at the same time fighting faux conflicts in 2011 Caucasus and/or Persian Gulf settings', which shows that suspending belief is actually a big part of using DCS World anyway.

It looks like the majority agree too, RAZBAM correctly chose to poll it's customers and have now made the best decision.

Edited by antonovia

• 2 years later...

Is RAZBAM aware of or even involved in this?

Post from a few weeks ago, but I haven't seen it mentioned here:

According to Chizh, ED is working on a technology that will allow users to select different time periods for a map. This will allow to remove (or add) some objects (like aerodromes) that weren't there in a chosen period.

Would be a great solution to the Mount Pleasant airbase issue!

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

That would be very nice indeed. It would also allow putting historical scenarios on Persian Gulf, by removing the recently-built Dubai landmarks. We know the Marianas are coming out with both WWII and modern version, but I don't know if it's planned to use this system.