DCS: MiG-23MLA by RAZBAM

MrDieing

Lousy weather in Europe? LoL

Bad weather would be the norm in most scenarios other than mid summer.

Except for target identification poor weather and icing pose great risk in the most common phases of flight especially landing. I wouldn’t want to operate the mig23 in low ceilings and near zero temps. Not that western fighters would be unaffected but they re easier to fly in imc.

DCS of course doesn’t bother with such trivial things as weather and icing.

So.... where’s my mig23?

What in particular makes Western fighters less affected by IMC and near zero temperatures?

I think that some people just find western instruments layout easier easier to use, especially in IMC, like the artificial horizon or HUD for instance.

But sure, Russian planes are rugged like nothing else for harsh conditions.

• Like 1

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

It's a question of what you're familiar with. I find both AI styles about equally easy to use - if anything I lean towards the Russian style, but that's just me - and I prefer the Russian way of displaying the radar picture on the HUD. Looking down at the scope is disorienting to me. I understand the MiG-23 is in general a less capable fighter than contemporary Western designs and certainly less capable than newer Western planes, but I fail to see how it's worse in IMC and especially in icing conditions. What am I missing?

It's a question of what you're familiar with. I find both AI styles about equally easy to use - if anything I lean towards the Russian style, but that's just me - and I prefer the Russian way of displaying the radar picture on the HUD. Looking down at the scope is disorienting to me. I understand the MiG-23 is in general a less capable fighter than contemporary Western designs and certainly less capable than newer Western planes, but I fail to see how it's worse in IMC and especially in icing conditions. What am I missing?

I didn’t spot anyone questioning the Russian way of dealing with icing, and I certainly wouldn’t.

I certainly miss the flight path marker in Russian HUD, and for the record, despite being used to Russian instruments layout, India selected western type HUD with FPM for MiG-29K :music_whistling:

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

I didn’t spot anyone questioning the Russian way of dealing with icing

I was referring to this post:

I wouldn’t want to operate the mig23 in low ceilings and near zero temps. Not that western fighters would be unaffected but they re easier to fly in imc.

It will take atleast a year, possibly two or three. At best she is currently in the 3D department, would be my best guess.

''Greed is a bottomless pit which exhausts the person in an endless effort to satisfy the need without ever reaching satisfaction.''

Erich Fromm

• 4 weeks later...
This module will be instant buy for me i really like the russian planes to bad we will never get a MIG-31 lot of people wanna see this monster interceptor

I think alot of people want to see any sort gen4 red air. Guess that a Gen3 mig23 will have to do.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

• 3 weeks later...
It's a question of what you're familiar with. I find both AI styles about equally easy to use - if anything I lean towards the Russian style, but that's just me - and I prefer the Russian way of displaying the radar picture on the HUD. Looking down at the scope is disorienting to me.

Yes that's very true and it is remarkable how that familiarity can lead to more efficiency too. I'm very fond of the VVI display on the HUD when in Nav Mode myself that the Russian jets have. I quite like the Su-25A's gauge layout as well. Can't wait to get the Flogger and see what it's like.

I've been under the impression the MLA has an IRST. Is that true? And is this it?

MiG-23-Flogger-1.thumb.jpg.499511443b2c4483cd6e17d4bb805237.jpg

Edited by 045
Might have found it.

I agree. But a marginal aircraft such as Mig-23/27 family, is not needed. RAZBAM and ED could do better, by RAZBAM assuming DCS: level development of MIG-29S, perhaps up-variant of 1990's early 2K's SMT. While ED retains control of FC level MIG-29S and flight model development for all versions.

However it appears that Flogger dev is already well into its project schedule, so my view is moot.

AFAIK, nobody is able to do a MiG-29. The MiG-23 is the most advanced fighter the Russian MoD seems willing to allow at this point afaik. I am sure there are devs that want to do Flankers & Fulcrums, it just isnt permitted right now.

Modules: FC3, A-10C, M2000C, MiG-21bis, F-86F, AV-8B NA, F/A-18C, F-14A/B, F-16C, F-15E, F-4E, A-29, Eurofighter Typhoon, A-6E, MiG-23MLA, Nevada, Persian Gulf, South Atlantic, Syria, Afghanistan

Specs: Intel i7 2600K, Nvidea GTX 980, 16GB RAM, NVMe SSD, Saitek X-55, TrackIR 5, Samsung Odyssey VR

The Russian MoD explicitly forbade them to make an Su-24, so it's doubtful more modern MiGs and Sukhois are doable. I'm surprised they swung a 23 somehow, I seriously doubt we'll see anything newer than that fully modeled anytime soon.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

AFAIK, nobody is able to do a MiG-29. The MiG-23 is the most advanced fighter the Russian MoD seems willing to allow at this point afaik. I am sure there are devs that want to do Flankers & Fulcrums, it just isnt permitted right now.

Some 3rd parties or ED would be able to do it, but they aren't allowed to do so :smilewink:

Mirage fanatic !