The Rookie Thread

Hi !

Is there a possibility to 'lock' the fly-by(F3) view? (I would like to see two or trhee passtrhougs..)

And the point of view of these fly-by?

Thnks in advance!!

Use F2 to position yourself - this locks the flyby to the plane you are looking for.

Then press LCTRL + F3, it will give you a flyby from the point when you pressed the key.

The mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open | The important thing is not to stop questioning

It seems that I'm finally understanding how to fly the Black Shark. I want to share my new discovery in this thread.

Since the beginning, I was pressing the trim button after moving the stick and releasing almost instantly, because that's the most similar to what is done in a fixed wing aircraft (first fly the ship, then trim). But I have found out that everything is a lot easier if, before moving the stick, I press and hold the trim, then move the stick, then release. (This is valid to FFB joysticks).

I'm talking about the movement of the joystick, not whole maneuvers. I have seen that it has been a lot of discussion on the forums about hold or not to hold the trim button during a maneuvers, but I'm not referring to that.

I'm so happy with this, control is now completely different. My own question about the centering forces being disabled when pressing the button is now disregarded. It was a problem derived from the fixed wing aircrafts piloting habits... yet another.

With my new piloting skills, yesterday I felt confident enough to finally start a campaign, but the first mission was a stroll (ouch!). Well, maybe today I'll enter combat for the first time. It will be a pity to die again, I've been able to fly a lot without important incidents since my last death :D

This sim is a dream.

but the first mission was a stroll (ouch!).

and be carefull concerning 'mission complete' for this first mission or you will be strolling for ever

I had to Edit this first mission (start with 80% complete:music_whistling:) so that I would get to the Next mission, so be aware, mt

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

TrackIR Troubles

Hi guys,

Got a slight problem here, have flown BS for a while, then had video problems, and now trying to get back to where I was previously, going OK, but can't get TrackIR 4 to work in the sim.

It works perfect in IL2, and have the corect version for this, it shows in the axis controls in options, but not in game.

Am I missing a key to hit or something, have searched my manual, also the pdf's that came with the game, but no luck. Tried LCtrl + F1, LWin + F1, etc

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

can't get TrackIR 4 to work in the sim.

my TIR4 worked no problems

use present software for the TR5?

should work when in options

does it also show the axis in the options?

somebody had to define the axis for the TIR4

i still press F12 F9 for center/freeze (jumps to 'airports sometimes, but press F1 back to cockpit), mt

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

Hi guys,

Got a slight problem here, have flown BS for a while, then had video problems, and now trying to get back to where I was previously, going OK, but can't get TrackIR 4 to work in the sim.

It works perfect in IL2, and have the corect version for this, it shows in the axis controls in options, but not in game.

Am I missing a key to hit or something, have searched my manual, also the pdf's that came with the game, but no luck. Tried LCtrl + F1, LWin + F1, etc

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sounds like you're not getting a profile loaded in TIR5 - try the using the Profiles->"Exclusive" checkbox and see if it works ingame then. At least that would confirms if it's the profile not being assigned that is the problem.

The mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open | The important thing is not to stop questioning

Solved now

Hi Panzertard,

I ended up installing the new drivers, 4.1.0.37 and it started working again, without changing profiles or anything else, don't know why the 4.1.0.36 drivers stopped functioning (only in DCS:BS), but all going great again now, thanks for your replies everyone.

Starting out with LOMAC

Hello to all, I flew lock on several years ago with the 44th, it has been a long while since I have flown the sim. Looking to get back into flying. Thought I would start with some offline with the original Lomac before getting upgraded to FC2 and Black Shark. I am running windows 7 and was wondering what all i need to get the game up and running again with win7. I have plenty of video ATI 5870 x 2 in crossfire daul SS kingston HD's 8 gig's of triple chan. mem AMD QuadCore Black box 960, run all CH products FSPTPP Track IR5. Just haven't been able to find much info on what If any problems I might experience with LOMAC and win7. Thanks in advance for any help.

"It got more exciting with each war. I mean the planes were going faster than hell when I was flying a Mustang, but by the time I got to Nam, it scared the piss out of a lot of guys just to fly the damn jets at full speed. Let alone do it in combat." ~ Robin Olds[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ok is there anyway to set it so i can free look in the cockpit using the mouse? As this would make things alot easier than use the hat switch on my joystick.

LALT + C will change mouse mode, it's 3 modes - the combo cycles which mode you use.

Hi all,

So I just read up on a post and a link today that explains that neither clouds or fog have an effect on the LOS of ground AI units.

So instead of slowly learning by increments what does or does not affect ground AI LOS, I will post what I understand to be the case and hope that some more experienced users of the sim can clarify and correct:

Things that affect ground AI LOS:

The ground (meaning hills, etc) - so terrain masking can effectivley block AI LOS.

Buildings - (not sure if these means all buildings and stuctures, or only a sub set. For instance, can I block the ground AI LOS by hiding behind a bridge? What about a tent?

Up for questions:

rain?

snow?

smoke (from explosions, burning wrecks, artificial smoke)?

distance (meaning if I am out of range, is there a variable distance of detection, or is it that once I am within X distance and not masked by terrain or buildings, I am seen?

Other vehicles, etc. Can I hid behind another helo in the air, or am I detected as well?

Various, non-building-type, structures?

Ships?

Don't affect ground AI LOS:

trees

fog

clouds

Thanks,

SNAFU

IMO from my own observations:

- Buildings & statics as well as other AI units will block LOS

- Terrain

Nothing more.

Also, you can learn like I did - if it shoots at you, then his LOS is free. ;)

IMO from my own observations:

- Buildings & statics as well as other AI units will block LOS

- Terrain

Nothing more.

Also, you can learn like I did - if it shoots at you, then his LOS is free. ;)

Hahaha! Yeah, I've started trying hot missions and I am getting knocked down fairly often.

• 1 month later...

Addie - lay off the drugs man...

Hey gang - I just completely uninstalled BS to do a clean install of 1.0 and then patch over it with 1.0.2 as I heard that was the best way to go.

Unfortunately I failed to save Parabellum tutorial mission I had downloaded originally from http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2626185/1.html

Apparently the download link no longer exists.

Would some kind soul here happen to have the file - tutorial01.miz, that they could email me? I would really appreciate it!

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Please disregard the above request gang - duh - forgot I image my hard drives once a week with Acronis, was able to explore to the file on my last image and get it back so all is well!

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

hello all, I wonder if someone can answer my questions.

1) Would the ABRIS have an option to give warning about incoming missles and ground hostilities?

2) Is there away i can have high resolution shkval? i have changed my cockpit to high resolution and played with brightness and contrast but still hard to spot enemies on ground!

Thanks,

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Let freedom ring with a shotgun blast

ATI 4870 1GB Cat. 10.8 | Windows 7 64 | TrackIR 5 | Saitek x52 | 4GB DDR2 | E8400 O.C 3.8 Ghz | The Logitech® G9 Laser Mouse

http://www.war-hawks.net

is recruiting.

http://www.war-hawks.net/private/index.php/recruitform

1. Nah, ABRIS is a fancypants map. There are "radio assists" in the options for incoming missile alerts.

2. Shkval resolution is set in the displays. If I can remember the options are 256, 512, 512 every frame, 1024, and 1024 every frame. This affects the ABRIS and Shkval.

hello all, I wonder if someone can answer my questions.

1) Would the ABRIS have an option to give warning about incoming missles and ground hostilities?

2) Is there away i can have high resolution shkval? i have changed my cockpit to high resolution and played with brightness and contrast but still hard to spot enemies on ground!

Thanks,

Hi,

1) No, ABRIS is powerful but is a navigation tool. Any targets on there are either pre-programmed or due to data link from wingmen.

Possible missile warnings:

* Ka-50 have NO radar warning unlike fixed wing.

* Ka-50 have NO infrared missile warning

* Ka-50 does have laser-warning, top left of cockpit red lights in the direction of the laser. Most SAMs do not use this. It could indicate a tank is ranging you up for a shot, or something ranging you for cannon, maybe an enemy helicopter even

* If you have radio assists turned on, an "observer" or "spy" will call to you on the radio with warnings like "missile 12 oclock low" etc. I've started using this on single player myself because I don't allow myself any recover, and it's more fun and less frustrating this way. Although realistic, I hated the sudden death explosion with no idea what caused it.

* Your wingman can report attacks

* Spot the smoke trail yourself if you're good and lucky.

2) You have already set it to high resolution if you set cockpit to 1024 every frame. However - map buttons or slider on joystick to zoom instead of using trackir to zoom. When you look at the shkval, zoom right in and it will use all possible pixels. Or output your shkval to second monitor, then it's very easy to identify targets.

If you're still learning the cockpit, get the tooltips mod from the mods forum that shows you the key shortcuts it's great.

Cheers

Pimax Crystal VR & Simpit User | Ryzen CPU & Nvidia RTX GPU | Some of my mods

If i'm going to get shot down by infrared missile that missile has to be fired from a short range, correct? do modern air crafts have infrared missile detection system?

The counter measures equipped with BS, is it only good for infrared? what about laser guided missiles?

Thanks.

Edited by InFireBaptize
more questions

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

ATI 4870 1GB Cat. 10.8 | Windows 7 64 | TrackIR 5 | Saitek x52 | 4GB DDR2 | E8400 O.C 3.8 Ghz | The Logitech® G9 Laser Mouse

is recruiting.

There are systems in some modern aircraft that detect missile launches by the heat and plume of it launching up. Some even can detect the flat optically perfect surfaces in an IR seeker when its trained at the aircraft before launch. Ka-50 has none of it.

Flares are only good for infrared. Laser guided couldn't give a toss about flares. A fair number of systems will use a laser rangefinder and then fire an IR missile though so just because your LWR goes off doesn't mean it's not an IR missile.

There are systems in some modern aircraft that detect missile launches by the heat and plume of it launching up. Some even can detect the flat optically perfect surfaces in an IR seeker when its trained at the aircraft before launch. Ka-50 has none of it.

Flares are only good for infrared. Laser guided couldn't give a toss about flares. A fair number of systems will use a laser rangefinder and then fire an IR missile though so just because your LWR goes off doesn't mean it's not an IR missile.

Thanks Frederf, now is BS has flares for laser guided missiles? how to evade them?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

is recruiting.

IR = Flares

Radar = Chaff

Laser = (nothing?)

For laser guided missiles there are two types: command-guided and seeking. Command-guided means that the launching platform is steering the missile. This is how Vikhr works. Seeking means the missile is homing on laser energy hitting the target. This is how Hellfire works.

In both cases if you kill the launching platform the missile will probably miss because it will lose command guidance or laser illumination. This is pretty hard though considering your missile is about as fast as the enemy's. If you fire first though then you are safe if you destroy him.

Other than that, it's good old fashioned making a hard target. Move across the missile's travel so it has to turn. Command guided laser missiles usually turn pretty poor. The missiles on most tanks and helicopters are made to hit slow moving ground targets. Only the dedicated ADA platforms expect a fast moving target (Bradley Linebacker).

Also, if you can put a big heavy thing between you and the missile like... oh, Earth.

IR = Flares

Radar = Chaff

Laser = (nothing?)

For laser guided missiles there are two types: command-guided and seeking. Command-guided means that the launching platform is steering the missile. This is how Vikhr works. Seeking means the missile is homing on laser energy hitting the target. This is how Hellfire works.

In both cases if you kill the launching platform the missile will probably miss because it will lose command guidance or laser illumination. This is pretty hard though considering your missile is about as fast as the enemy's. If you fire first though then you are safe if you destroy him.

Other than that, it's good old fashioned making a hard target. Move across the missile's travel so it has to turn. Command guided laser missiles usually turn pretty poor. The missiles on most tanks and helicopters are made to hit slow moving ground targets. Only the dedicated ADA platforms expect a fast moving target (Bradley Linebacker).

Also, if you can put a big heavy thing between you and the missile like... oh, Earth.

Thanks Frederf, i have more questions:

Differential engines control handles

1# What is it for? i know when i start up the engine i have to click on PageUp twice but what happens/what is the benefit of clicking the PageUp three times?

2# The collective, why do i keep getting a warning (Rotor RPM warning push-light) if i pull up on the collective too much?

#3 Also why do i get a warning when i fly too fast? 30 on airspeed indicator?

#4 why Missile warning system with laser jammer, self protection system mode of operation select has no function? is this BS real limitation or game limitation?

Thanks.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

is recruiting.