The F-35 Thread

Groove

http://www.dutchnews.nl/news/archives/2009/04/first_jsf_fighter_jet_will_cos.php

The Dutch authorities estimate JSF price 110 million EUR per test airframe. Ouch!

Wasn't it supposed to go in mass production as a cheap alternative of the F-22? If those numbers are correct it goes well above the Eurofighter for instance... And normaly test beds are cheaper than the final version which should have all the features implemented.

Edited by =RvE=Tito

"See, to me that's a stupid instrument. It tells what your angle of attack is. If you don't know you shouldn't be flying." - Chuck Yeager, from the back seat of F-15D at age 89.

=RvE=

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow... That is a seriously expensive bird. Though it would be more interesting to see price estimates for production airframes.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Pentagon Hack..

Or is this just a way to point the finger in someone´s face and pick a fight? which I don't think is so unlikely.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124027491029837401.html

Edited by shaggy

Intel Core i7-8700 3,20GHz - EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC2 - 32Gb Ram - DCS on 500 GB SSD - Windows 10 - Thrusmaster Warthog - Thrustmaster TPR pedals - Track Ir 5 - Samsung Odyssey+

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.virtualredarrows.com

• 2 weeks later...
http://www.dutchnews.nl/news/archives/2009/04/first_jsf_fighter_jet_will_cos.php

The Dutch authorities estimate JSF price 110 million EUR per test airframe. Ouch!

Wasn't it supposed to go in mass production as a cheap alternative of the F-22? If those numbers are correct it goes well above the Eurofighter for instance... And normaly test beds are cheaper than the final version which should have all the features implemented.

Sorry I can't follow, 110 mil is a bit too much IMHO!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

110 for test planes is just fine. They are test aircraft - they are limited, early production samples and as such they don't come cheap.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Still holding on that 49% cost overrun margin? No wonder we have to pay for the mistakes all those greedy people make :thumbdown:

Not to mention LM bribing our government for at least the second time. And all those people will start bitching over here about the sound. Better get the Gripen-NG and be over it. It's proven, quiet, 1 engine, is a bomb truck, and has no degraded stealth.

• Like 2

Creedence Clearwater Revival:worthy:

You making a mistake by adding the other costs of operational aircraft into the cost of a test aircraft. F-35 doesnt cost as much as F-22's!

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

• 1 month later...
Interesting read:

plus new pic:

sdsfdcreghjk.gif

Hi Groove, can you remember where you got the above picture from?, I know the picture is pretty much self explanatory but is there a technical article or pdf regarding the performance of the JSF's RCS against various radar frequency/wavelengths that was linked to the above picture?. I'd really like to read it if there is. Thanks.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Topol, AFAIK the JSF's VLO performance against various frequency/wavelengths figures are classified, but after the recent leak of classified data on the JSF you never know, if the VLO JSF offers no protection against VHF multimetric wavelengths that would be very interesting indeed.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Are those precise enough for targeting?

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

Topol, AFAIK the JSF's VLO performance against various frequency/wavelengths figures are classified, but after the recent leak of classified data on the JSF you never know,

It was reported that stealth was not compromized. The data was sensitive but not 'Top Secret' sensitive. 'Classified' can be NOFOR - like a lot of the -1's.

if the VLO JSF offers no protection against VHF multimetric wavelengths that would be very interesting indeed.

No, it isn't - not even remotely. The interesting thing rather is that the RCS is small even against those, so range is limited - further, it is mostly the X-band that actual threat radars operate in (the ones that can guide weapons at you) and that is the most interesting part of the radar range for a stealth fighter.

They might see you, but they'll have trouble putting weapons on you while you'll be lobbing HARMs/SDBs/JDAMs at them.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

They might see you, but they'll have trouble putting weapons on you while you'll be lobbing HARMs/SDBs/JDAMs at them.

Still there must be some tricks to make modern long range radars/SAMs more effective against low RCS targets. And when the SAM detects you and can fire first beyond your weapons range the table is turned. It will be interesting at what distance S-300/S-400/Patriot can find/shoot at F-35.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Probably at around 30km, assuming they aren't being jammed. The aircraft will always out-range the SAM at this point - SDBs will fly pretty far - so far that you can launch them, beam the target SAM and not worry about having to use countermeasures. The missiles will simply not reach you - for this reason you have IADS - some radars will remain silent and come up and launch only when you are in the Rtr.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]