jcomm

Mine are at:

Pitch: Nullzone=0, 15% curve
Roll: 10% nullzone ( due to problems in joystick), linear
Yaw: Nullzone=0, 33% curve
jcomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 04:53 PM   #72
Buzzles

Hmm, she's a bit of a handful, nothing that's too bad though by the looks of things. I flew with auto rudder and TO Assistance off.

First take off attempted ended in failure as I was caught off guard by just how strong that left torque yaw is.
Second attempt was very dirty and almost ended in disaster, but managed to get airborne.

Take off really isn't much different from the P51D when you forget to dial in the 6 degree rudder trim.

First landing attempt ended in a crash, partly because of a two point landing, but also because I stuffed up the approach and hadn't lined up properly, which meant when I bounced I bounced onto the grass.

Reckon I could probably land it next time, just need to go learn the correct landing speed first.
Buzzles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 05:14 PM   #73
fastfreddie

For the guys who have figured out how to taxi pretty good set up a quick mission with a runway start. Engine is already going so just move on down the runway and once you get used to takeoffs just turn around to practice landings.

I see people trying to practice on the online servers and I don't think that is a good idea. Slight lag is enough to deal with when you know how to takeoff but trying to learn in it is a bad idea. I must of saw one guy yesterday crash a dozen times in a row and he even quit doing the taxi to the runway.
fastfreddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 06:01 PM   #74
Lange_666

Send a message via ICQ to Lange_666

I'm still struggling with one major thing on take-off that i can't explain.

- Tailwheel aligned, no rudder deflection
- Move throttle up
- Start moving forward
- Move stick back to lock tailwheel
- Aircraft tends to move a little bit to the left, i add right rudder to compensate. Dora goes back in a straight line.
- As speed goes up, aircraft goes again a bit to the right, i add a bit more right rudder.

- If i overdo this last part, aircraft tends to go to the right. But i i then release the right rudder a bit, it starts going more to the right. The more i release the right rudder or if i even input a bit left rudder, the more the aircraft goes to the right where it eventually starts to drift and take-off is over. How is this explained?
System: Win10 Pro 64-bit, CPU: I7-4770K @ 4.6 GHz, Cooling: Corsair H100i, Motherboard: AsRock Extreme4, Video: ASUS Strix 1080Ti OC 11GB, RAM: 16 GB
Corsair Vengance 2133, SSD's: Samsung EVO 120GB & EVO 250GB, HD: Samsung 1TB, Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Cougar (U2 mod) & CH Pro pedals, TrackIR4
Lange_666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 06:06 PM   #75
Mainstay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lange_666 View Post
I'm still struggling with one major thing on take-off that i can't explain.

- Tailwheel aligned, no rudder deflection
- Move throttle up
- Start moving forward
- Move stick back to lock tailwheel
- Aircraft tends to move a little bit to the left, i add right rudder to compensate. Dora goes back in a straight line.
- As speed goes up, aircraft goes again a bit to the right, i add a bit more right rudder.

- If i overdo this last part, aircraft tends to go to the right. But i i then release the right rudder a bit, it starts going more to the right. The more i release the right rudder or if i even input a bit left rudder, the more the aircraft goes to the right where it eventually starts to drift and take-off is over. How is this explained?
You sure your tailwheel is in line with the aircraft before locking it?>
Old 08-10-2014, 06:12 PM   #76
Cowboy10uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foul Ole Ron View Post
In case you haven't seen it elsewhere make sure you have takeoff assistance set to zero and auto rudder off. Seems to be on by default. Makes takeoffs easier I found.
Ahhhhh didn't know that. It's not something I checked as don't use them, so figured it would be off. I'll check that ASAP. Thanks mate

Cowboy10uk

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot
Cowboy10uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 06:20 PM   #77
Lange_666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainstay View Post
You sure your tailwheel is in line with the aircraft before locking it?>
Yup, 100% (outside view check before take-off)

BTW, if it's not, i'm going all over the place...
System: Win10 Pro 64-bit, CPU: I7-4770K @ 4.6 GHz, Cooling: Corsair H100i, Motherboard: AsRock Extreme4, Video: ASUS Strix 1080Ti OC 11GB, RAM: 16 GB
Corsair Vengance 2133, SSD's: Samsung EVO 120GB & EVO 250GB, HD: Samsung 1TB, Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Cougar (U2 mod) & CH Pro pedals, TrackIR4
Old 08-10-2014, 06:22 PM   #78
SAM77

Maybe try using brakes to keep it goin straight at first then use rudder when you feel its effective.
Old 08-10-2014, 06:43 PM   #79
T}{OR

What really changed T/O in DCS for me was pulling the stick fully back on T/O until reaching ~60 MPH / 100 km/h. You have to center it before the tail starts lifting off the ground.

The idea behind this is to have more control over your tail wheel since rudder isn't effective until you pick up some speed. If you leave it centered for the initial run the tail will be touching the ground but will not control the A/C.

Unlike Mustang, Dora is a bit specific here. You really need to tap those wheel brakes to keep her straight until the rudder becomes effective. Although most of the time I almost do not need any rudder input on the initial run.

I've also found that gradual power increase works best with both A/C. You do not need 100% throttle to lift off. T/O with no more than 60-70% until you get a feel for it.

Also - jab the rudder, do not hold it in one direction for long.

By using the same technique I showed in my Frankie video, I can easily do a two pointer in a Dora.
DCS P-51D: [TEST] TO distance / gross weight / temperature
T}{OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 06:44 PM   #80
Lange_666

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAM77 View Post
Maybe try using brakes to keep it goin straight at first then use rudder when you feel its effective.
No joy man, tried that already.

After another 25 attempts in the last 35 mins with only 2 take-offs (the 2nd one and another lucky shot around attempt 11, don't know how i kept it up) i call it day today.

I must admit, in all my years of flightsimming (started out in everything i could lay my hands on on the C-64) this is the first aircraft where i do not have a single clue on how the aircaft behaves while i'm rolling down the runway. Not a single clue.

To stop i entered the P-51 (which i bought but really never flew) and made three 3 take-offs in a row without a single problem (take-off assist set to 0%) and it's months since i've flown this thing. But the Dora...??? Not a clue.