DCS and Pimax

Wags

Remember when Rift CV1 released we didn't even have ATW. Later we got ASW. Point being software and therefore performance is a moving target. This latest Pitool update for example

I5 6600K @4.5, Gigabyte GA-Z170XP mobo, GMMAXX GTE Cooler, MSI GTX 1080 ti Gaming X gpu (factory OC), SoundBlaster X-F1 sound card, 16 gig Corsair Vengeance ddr4 ram @ 3200 , 3 ssd hds, EVGA 650 Gold Power supply, Saitek X52 Hotas and rudders, 2 AuraSound AST-2B-4 Pro Bass Shakers, Pimax 5K+

The 5K is the one I am considering. My Christmas Pressy list is growing :) Though I think a 2080ti is what will be needed to make it work well. The passmark chart will be interesting when the benchmarks for it finally land.

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

Edit: I see it's posted...

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

5K+ or 8K I think you won't be disappointed either way, great to see the HMDs moving forwards and although I don't own VR equipment yet I'm genuinely excited to see the progress it just a matter of time before I make the switch now.... probably when the gloves are working and we get the 7nm GPU's next year.

I don't think I will ever understand why companies go with angled pixel matrix's like the Vive, Rift, 8K... considering how these images are created in the first place... Vertical/Horizontal X/Y pattern...

I've even noticed that trying to read any text in Vive, if I turn my head 45° left or right, the text becomes more readable.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.csg-2.net/

I have decided to wait until we have something that is confirmed to run DCS on the 5k+. Not only is the 2080ti expensive, AMD has a 7nm card in the pipeline.

Intel Core i7­6700K, 32GB DDR4, 512GB PCIe SSD + 2TB HDD, GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Pimax 5k+

Yup. I'm in the 3,000 range of KS. And I'm going with 5K+ with the $100 credit. I use VR for DCS, so the clarity of 5K+ is more important.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Only thing that turns me off on 5k+ is the ppi is similar to rift, some reviewers said with the wide FOV individual pixels were visible. And Pimax is no compromises right? Just think I’ll regret not going with the modular more demanding 8k(probably years until we get reliable foveated rendering). Either way I’ll be happy as hell right? :)

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

Biggest problem I see for both Pimax headsets in DCS will be the performance. Getting constant 91Hz for the 5K+ or 80Hz for the 8K will be nearly impossible, no matter which hardware you use. And having lower fps will cause noticeable stuttering. SweViver told me, that a 60Hz mode is planned. As we don`t have any infos yet about the actual situation of other performance aids, like brainwarp, ASW or foveated rendering with eye tracking, I have high hopes on this 60Hz mode.

I7 6700K, Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, EVGA GTX1080Ti SC, 32GB DDR4 @ 3000, Win10 64, BenQ EW3270ZL 2560x1440, VPC WarBRD Base + TM Warthog Grip, TM Warthog Throttle, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals, Oculus Rift S

Biggest problem I see for both Pimax headsets in DCS will be the performance. Getting constant 91Hz for the 5K+ or 80Hz for the 8K will be nearly impossible, no matter which hardware you use. And having lower fps will cause noticeable stuttering. SweViver told me, that a 60Hz mode is planned. As we don`t have any infos yet about the actual situation of other performance aids, like brainwarp, ASW or foveated rendering with eye tracking, I have high hopes on this 60Hz mode.

While we don't know how much it will help, we do know that Brainwarp and further software improvements are coming and that they will help to a lesser or greater extent.

Even then, I fear that a 2080ti will be needed for acceptable performance. I'm a late backer (6000+), so I have a little more time and I hope that the 2080ti will go down in price somewhat in the months after launch.

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

According to this review at 2.23.20 The performance in DCS is terrible.

Keep in mind he isn't a huge DCS player... not sure if he had his settings done correctly. Looks like his SS is set to possibly 2.0? That is nuts... on top of that steam 30% SS.

I think we will get a much better idea once primary DCS players get their hands on it, like Jabbers.

5900X - 32 GB 3600 RAM - 1080TI

My Twitch Channel

~Moo

Keep in mind he isn't a huge DCS player... not sure if he had his settings done correctly. Looks like his SS is set to possibly 2.0? That is nuts... on top of that steam 30% SS.

I think we will get a much better idea once primary DCS players get their hands on it, like Jabbers.

Exactly, Sweviver is having such significant framerate issues because he is supersampling a already huge resolution.

He says that you need to supersample in order to get a good image, but I don't see why you couldn't comfortably play it at a PD of 1.0. Surely even this must still look better than on the Rift?

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

Exactly, Sweviver is having such significant framerate issues because he is supersampling a already huge resolution.

He says that you need to supersample in order to get a good image, but I don't see why you couldn't comfortably play it at a PD of 1.0. Surely even this must still look better than on the Rift?

One would think so, but also keep in mind it is displaying a much larger image area so I would think that would affect the image quality to some degree.

I am looking forward to hearing reports from regular DCS players once they get their hands on the units.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Quite.i thought the key point to the pimax was it’s res, thus allowing a PD of 1, but at hires, compared to a Rift at Pd 1.5, but pants res

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Yes, exactly that was my point when I mention 4K per eye 60Hz native resolution mod on the 8K model.

I'm expecting much better performance without high SS need on native resolution and with acceptable details will be playable. There is some guy who was playing DCS with Pimax4K on GTX 1060 so this must be playable on 5K or 8K as well with better-adopted details.

I'm waiting some more experienced DCS player review.

According to this review at 2.23.20 The performance in DCS is terrible.

And an updated review with better Pimax software made it much much better. So there's hope.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Even if we will be able to reduce the PD-setting to 1.0 we might run into some trouble for DCS with the Pimax headsets. Flickering/shimmering of textures could be a problem, when setting the PD or SS settings to low values. And the other problem could be the higher number of objects to be rendered when using the normal or wide FoV mode in the Pimax-tool. Maybe we will feel forced to use the low FoV (which is still better than the actual headsets) to get reasonable FPS.

Edited by ram0506

I7 6700K, Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, EVGA GTX1080Ti SC, 32GB DDR4 @ 3000, Win10 64, BenQ EW3270ZL 2560x1440, VPC WarBRD Base + TM Warthog Grip, TM Warthog Throttle, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals, Oculus Rift S

We forget one very important thing, even 5K+ have a better picture than Vive PRO or Odyssey and that is without taking in consideration FOV advantage.

Even according to this Sweviver preview FPS is not significantly lower if it is not equal to Vive PRO or Odyssey. The only problem so far is actually no ASW which are coming as Brainwarp.

Whatever someone chose will be a huge step forward anyway.