VR Advice please

I'm not sure why everyone loves the Rift so much. I've used it, the vive and the odyssey. The Odssey is better in every regard (for seated experience) except it does not have support for asynchronous warp (it's rift exclusive software) and that's not without it's nay sayers (just read the oculus thread here). If I were to do it all over again I would buy the odyssey over the rift everyday without a doubt. I believe they are the same price at $400. If performance is really a concern then turn your PD down until you get a better GPU.

5800X3d, 32GB DDR4@3400, 6800 xt, Reverb G2, Gunfighter/TMWH

I'm not sure why everyone loves the Rift so much. I've used it, the vive and the odyssey. The Odssey is better in every regard (for seated experience) except it does not have support for asynchronous warp (it's rift exclusive software) and that's not without it's nay sayers (just read the oculus thread here). If I were to do it all over again I would buy the odyssey over the rift everyday without a doubt. I believe they are the same price at $400. If performance is really a concern then turn your PD down until you get a better GPU.

It doesn´t matter as long as we get another member to join us onto the VR-hype-train :D:D

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

Thanks! So Rift is as good as it will get for me with this PC in the foreseeable future. I think I'll pull the trigger, thanks for your input.

Is there anything that will be disappointing compared to 1080p + Track IR, or is it definitely a step up?

Be prepared for hard times checking your six with OR fov. Resolution is next problem but not so big with inc. PD. Vr is the way to go.

Wysłane z mojego SM-G935F przy użyciu Tapatalka

PC: i7 13700k, 64GB RAM 3200MHz DDR4, RTX 4090, VR: Quest 3.

VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip, VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, crosswinds rudder pedals, VPC panel CP3, WinWing PTO2

Looking around, the Odyssey would cost twice as much as the Oculus for me in central Europe. Maybe I wasn't looking at the right place. Ordering from the US is not an option due to crazy high taxes.

It's not worth twice as much... enjoy the Rift!

5800X3d, 32GB DDR4@3400, 6800 xt, Reverb G2, Gunfighter/TMWH

It's not worth twice as much... enjoy the Rift!

Yeah, I love my Odyssey, but it's the same price as the Rift here. If it was twice as much I wouldn't have bought it.

On the subject of tracking, another vote for being very happy with Odyssey tracking in general. I only play Beat Saber in the non-sim VR world, and my only limitations with that game have to do with my lack of Force sensitivity, not the controllers. ;-)

I'd also note that the resolution of the Odyssey in IL2:BoS/K/M makes for a big difference without the performance issues of the more powerful DCS engine. Almost all of my sim time here lately have been re-learning how to fly helos in DCS (and on a side note, VR is an even bigger game changer for helos than it is for fixed-wing craft) and dogfighting over the ruins of Stalingrad.

Edited by nervousenergy

PC - 3900X - Asus Crosshair Hero VIII - NZXT Kraken 63 - 32 GB RAM - 2080ti - SB X-Fi Titanium PCIe - Alienware UW - Windows 10

Sim hardware - Warthog throttle - VKB Gunfighter III - CH Quadrant - Slaw Device Pedals - Obutto R3volution pit - HP Reverb G2 - 2X AuraSound shakers

I'm just afraid of instrument readability, that some people reported to be unsatisfactory. How bad is it? (I currently play in 1080p)

Depends on the aircraft and your pixel density. Get it up above 1.6 and almost everything is readable if you lean in a little. Below that and you will have some problems even with zoom in some aircraft. The Gazelle is the one I recall having functional problems with -- also one of the best cockpits for VR aside from that issue though.

does the odyessy controller work in DCS?

i have odeseey but stopped using it because i was waiting for official motion controller support from ED

Currently ED has only Oculus Touch supported.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Depends on the aircraft and your pixel density. Get it up above 1.6 and almost everything is readable if you lean in a little. Below that and you will have some problems even with zoom in some aircraft. The Gazelle is the one I recall having functional problems with -- also one of the best cockpits for VR aside from that issue though.

Not on my Rift and I only run 1.2. Zoom put stuff right in front of your face so I don't see how you can have trouble.

Dunno man, all I can tell you is that I found it very difficult to effectively use a few readouts (such as the distance to waypoint) that can be pretty important. Zoom certainly helps but not with everything, and it's slow so using it in tense situations is not ideal.

I'm currently up at PD 2.2 and don't have this problem anymore -- of course now I have different ones. Still, it's all worth it.

I run PD at 1.5 and have no trouble reading most of the gauges.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Looking around, the Odyssey would cost twice as much as the Oculus for me in central Europe. Maybe I wasn't looking at the right place. Ordering from the US is not an option due to crazy high taxes.

Well, get the one you can afford then I would say.

Wow..all these guys pitting one headset against the other I think is very counterproductive!:(

Sounds just as bad as all the non-vr users bashing VR when they have no experience with it. If you don't have a headset don't discount it if you have never experienced it. As I mentioned before, I have BOTH headsets and BOTH are great!!

Reflected, I guarantee no matter which one you buy you will be EXTREMELY happy with it.

Edited by walleye62

anyone runnning both the odyessey headset, but with touch controllers? i hear ppl using the odyessey HMD with HTV vive wands in other appications..
I didn't know that's even possible. How are the hand controllers get tracked without external sensors? The controllers that come with any Windows mixed reality headset use the built-in cameras of the visor to track their position in space.

I don't know how that would work with Vibe or Oculus controllers without external sensors.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

i7-7700k

eVGA 1080 Ti

Win 10 Pro

Samsung Odyssey WMR

Warthog HOTAS

I'm pretty curious about you guys running touch controllers at all. What are you using them for? How so? Seems like fumbling around for them, taking hands of HOTAS, while blind would not be super fun. It's already bad enough reaching for the mouse now and then but maybe I'm missing some technique.

I'm pretty curious about you guys running touch controllers at all. What are you using them for? How so? Seems like fumbling around for them, taking hands of HOTAS, while blind would not be super fun. It's already bad enough reaching for the mouse now and then but maybe I'm missing some technique.

I tried using them, fully expecting them to be rubbish and they were just that. Basically a placeholder until VR gloves arrive.

X-Plane employment of touch controllers seems quite better though. Quite weird for moving yokes or side joystick, but very useful por rotaries, dials, switches and all kind of stuff inside cockpit. And the integration of menus and options via sidestick is great too.

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

"One final thing. DCS member Kegetys has made a GREAT mod which has really increased VR performance. It's huge! The only con I can think of for it is that it breaks multiplayer integrity checks. But I think some of the guys have figured out a workaround for this. Anyways, I would say it is a must for most VR users.

Hope this helps

Link for the mod:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=215373

Oh and I forgot, whatever one you get you will be blown away. I will never go back to 2d."

Get the Mod before you buy the RAM. I haven't seen where my system uses the extra 16gb of RAM.

i7-7700K, 32GB DDR4, 525GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080Ti 11GB, Liquid Cooling, Win 10, Warthog HOTAS, TPR Pedals, HP Reverb, Oculus Rift with Touch, Jetseat and bass shakers, PointCTRL, and Scale F-14B Cockpit