How to Land the Dora - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 08-08-2014, 09:59 AM   #11
Gascan39

Default The Dora made me a better Pony pilot

I am about 0-40 in takeoff attempts. At first I thought it was the Hotas-X with the rudders mapped to the twist grip. I thought once I got home to the WartHog and true pedals, I would be successful. Nope. Still suck. Almost got airborne once, may have been centrifugal force more than lift, lol. I withdrew to the P-51 and took off without incident, and managed to land it without turning it into scrap metal. Wow, crazy. I will keep trying with the Dora, love the -190, but gonna take lots of practice
Gascan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:12 AM   #12
9./JG27 DavidRed+
Posting Rights Revoked

with the p51, out of a habit, i tend to keep my stick pulled back until ~70mph are reached...with the dora i found, it takes off really nice with the stick in center position until rotating speed, and only then pull gently on the stick...

rudder is sufficient for take off, but needs some more input than the p51 it seems.but as soon as you notice that, it behaves what you would expect...

slightly right stick position helps as well...

ill have yet to see how she's behaving in wind conditions.

btw when speaking about landings, anybody tried the AFN-2 homing indicator yet?is it working?
9./JG27 DavidRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 02:06 PM   #13
wolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isegrim View Post
Give her full power insantly to start its not like slowly increase power in the pony.
I do this already, both for the P51 and the Dora. Hold wheel brakes, increase to as much RPM as the wheel brakes can take. Then release them, and increase throttle to full RPM smoothly but quickly (within a fraction of a second).

My questions were not so much that I can't take off in the Dora (I can), but I think there are still problems with the flight model, when it comes to tail wheel locking and cross wind aerodynamic behavior when taking off (try taking off with 10 m/s crosswind and you'll see what I mean). I have to give it full aileron into the wind, full throttle, full rudder, full toe brakes just to keep her aligned, and even then it's a wobbly dance at best.

I am also doubtful that the landings should require so much pull on the flight stick in addition to full elevator trim. Would be nice to know whether these things are still work in progress, or if the Dora really behaved like that.
wolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 02:40 PM   #14
Yo-Yo
ED Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolle View Post
I do this already, both for the P51 and the Dora. Hold wheel brakes, increase to as much RPM as the wheel brakes can take. Then release them, and increase throttle to full RPM smoothly but quickly (within a fraction of a second).

My questions were not so much that I can't take off in the Dora (I can), but I think there are still problems with the flight model, when it comes to tail wheel locking and cross wind aerodynamic behavior when taking off (try taking off with 10 m/s crosswind and you'll see what I mean). I have to give it full aileron into the wind, full throttle, full rudder, full toe brakes just to keep her aligned, and even then it's a wobbly dance at best.

I am also doubtful that the landings should require so much pull on the flight stick in addition to full elevator trim. Would be nice to know whether these things are still work in progress, or if the Dora really behaved like that.
If you are in doubt what is the reason of your takeoff problems - turn on 100% TO assistance. Then apply rudder slowly only maintaining general direction of rolling. If it helps - the reason is not in FM.
Yo-Yo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 02:44 PM   #15
jcomm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yo-Yo View Post
If you are in doubt what is the reason of your takeoff problems - turn on 100% TO assistance. Then apply rudder slowly only maintaining general direction of rolling. If it helps - the reason is not in FM.
Well Yo-Yo, actually for me, turning OFF takeoff assist made things a lot more manageable / plausible.

I can perfectly takeoff and land the Dora, but it was more difficult / unplausible? when I had Takeoff Assist at 100% and wasn't aware of that...
jcomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 03:31 PM   #16
Yo-Yo
ED Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcomm View Post
Well Yo-Yo, actually for me, turning OFF takeoff assist made things a lot more manageable / plausible.

I can perfectly takeoff and land the Dora, but it was more difficult / unplausible? when I had Takeoff Assist at 100% and wasn't aware of that...
I guess your fighting was dramatic...
Yo-Yo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 03:56 PM   #17
Altflieger

I hope take off assist isn't the default setting but it might explain a few things if it is.....
Altflieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 03:56 PM   #18
cichlidfan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altflieger View Post
I hope take off assist isn't the default setting but it might explain a few things if it is.....
Take off assist is set to 100% by default.
ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1
cichlidfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 03:58 PM   #19
txmtb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altflieger View Post
Yes it is, or at least was set to 100% on my install. P-51 was still turned off but Dora was set at 100%.

Win 10 64 Pro, MSI Z87 I5-4670K @4.5 Water Cooled, 16Gb Corsair Dominator, 2X EVGA 970 SSC SLI, 512Gb SSD's, 2 TB HD Raid, , TM Warthog, Pro Rudders, OpenTrack w/ IR Clip
txmtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 04:06 PM   #20
Flagrum
Veteran

I, too, was under the impression, that taking off without TO assstance was ... "easier". I am still very much learning and my experiences are by no means objective and I turned off the TO assistance at a time where I was rather frustrated - bordering to being hectic when trying to get her off the ground ... so ...

But ... but what if the slider "takeoff assistance" is in fact reversed? Or labled wrongly? What if "100%" means in reality "no assistance" and "0%" means "full assistance"? :o)

Flagrum is offline   Reply With Quote