P51 FM/DM

gprr

Hello all

1.Was playing Yesterday ("Real Mod") offline and the AI shot part of my wing off, wher the circle of USAF Marking on the wing, All i had to do is apply slight pressure to the other side and vuoalla - flyig straight with one wing tip smoking heavy but no other problems. Think i did it for around 30 seconds and got board,than went to try the AI again.

2.Another thing is elevetor Trim - small positive trim, makes the plane, start rolling to one side...

Any tips/Comments?

Thanks

GP

My rig:

WIN 10 64bit

I7 6700k

Gigabyte GTX 1080 TI

16GB RAM

650W PS

MS FFB2

For 2., I have the same problem when I use my msffb2 joystick. The elevator and aileron trim wheels are crossed in the cockpit.

If I use my CH joystick, they work as they should.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

1: I had the same thing happen to me, once. I can't say that feels very realistic but then, I never flew one in real life.

2: The roll is mostly induced by the propeller spinning, the plane tries to spin with it. Its possible that changing the elevator trim messes with the plane's aerodynamics and messes with the roll trim. Just keep trimming.

P.S. I never read the manual or did the training missions so i might be wrong. All i said was based on games other then DCS.

i5 4590 @ 3.77GHz | GTX 1060 6GB | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 | 1TB HDD+500GB HDD | Win10 Home X64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

2: The roll is mostly induced by the propeller spinning, the plane tries to spin with it. Its possible that changing the elevator trim messes with the plane's aerodynamics and messes with the roll trim. Just keep trimming.

I think he has the same bug that I posted above.

Try the aileron trim wheel and tell us what happens. My bet is that it causes you to pitch up or down.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

I think he has the same bug that I posted above.

Try the aileron trim wheel and tell us what happens. My bet is that it causes you to pitch up or down.

They could also try looking at the trim knobs in the cockpit to see which one is turning. :P

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

• ED Team
Hello all

1.Was playing Yesterday ("Real Mod") offline and the AI shot part of my wing off, wher the circle of USAF Marking on the wing, All i had to do is apply slight pressure to the other side and vuoalla - flyig straight with one wing tip smoking heavy but no other problems. Think i did it for around 30 seconds and got board,than went to try the AI again.

Google "Big Beatiful Doll collision Duxford 2011". It was not Mustang that survived.

Edited by Yo-Yo

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

They could also try looking at the trim knobs in the cockpit to see which one is turning. :P

I always turn them by clicking on them with the mouse.

Yes, I tried your procedure. It didn't seem to work.

----------

Doh, now I feel dumb. Tried it a second time and the trim wheels are correct! Thanks again! :)

Edited by gavagai

Yes, I tried your procedure. It didn't seem to work.

I am sorry to hear that :(, I had the same issue (and got confused when I trimed nose up and my left wing dropped) and I did some search on the forums and this advice helped me. The cockpit animations were also correct, just the effect and the forces in the FF stick were off. I suggest you try again with the axis tune, I am quite positive that's the problem. :joystick: That would also explain why an non FF joystick worked fine for us. Good luck with that though, it's a weird bug for sure.

• Like 1

Sorry, you didn't see my edit. I tried a second time and the trim wheels are correct now! Thank you!

Well, Thank you all for the video and advice:thumbup:

Do have MS FFB2 and will try to solve the trim issue:)

Thanks again

GP

My rig:

WIN 10 64bit

I7 6700k

Gigabyte GTX 1080 TI

16GB RAM

650W PS

MS FFB2

Well, Thank you all for the video and advice:thumbup:

Do have MS FFB2 and will try to solve the trim issue:)

Thanks again

GP

Have you tested your fps with and without ffb enabled?

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=103351

Send me a pm if you think you can help resolve it.

Have you tested your fps with and without ffb enabled?

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=103351

Send me a pm if you think you can help resolve it.

Hello all

Checked both issues mentioned regarding ms FFB Stick:

- No crossed AXIs that creating Elevator trim "problem" - the trim works correctly and the plane rols over with the slightest positive trim.

- Disabaling FFB icreases FPS only when looking on a nenu or before starting mission but inflight, it makes no change for my system (V.Card is 5870)

In any case, Flying WW 2 Sim without FFB is "no can do" for me.

Thanks for helping.

By the way,"lost" a bigger part of the wing (one black/white strip width away from the same markings - close to half wing )yestarday when tuching the ground and it still was mannegable - less then first time reporting but still ...looks way off to me.

GP

Edited by gprr

My rig:

WIN 10 64bit

I7 6700k

Gigabyte GTX 1080 TI

16GB RAM

650W PS

MS FFB2

• ED Team
-

By the way,"lost" a bigger part of the wing (one black/white strip width away from the same markings - close to half wing )yestarday when tuching the ground and it still was mannegable - less then first time reporting but still ...looks way off to me.

GP

What do you mean "manageable'? By the way, google something about Japaneeze fighter with clipped wing - there are some photos. And please check that you are not in "game" mode...

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

So this is a real human being, in a real plane, confident enough of the handling of the plane with this much damage to not bail out, and to bring it home and land it.

(lost) ..close to half wing )yestarday when tuching the ground and it still was mannegable

Would you have brought the plane you landed home in real life ?

Skyraider+1.jpg

Cheers.

Yeah, there is a big difference between being able to fly with half a wing missing and being able to land with half a wing missing. I lost half my right wing in the P-51 a few days ago, and I was able to keep it flying straight at 200 MPH, but I couldn't get it down to a safe landing speed without losing stability, so I had to bail out.

Maybe it will seem more intuitive if you change your thought process about wings. To fly level, you need the moment on both sides of the airplane to be equal. For simplicity, I will keep the stability discussion to wanting a symmetrical distribution of lift on the left and the right side of the airplane and ignore weight. Rather than thinking of an aileron as a device that makes you turn, think of it like a flap: It increases or decreases the lift of a certain section of wing, and can make that lift negative. So to roll right, you increase the lift on the left wing, and decrease the lift on the right wing. You could accomplish the same thing by extending and retracting the wing lengths alternately assuming you are not at the zero lift angle of attack where an entire wing missing would not induce roll.

Now putting those ideas together, suppose you lose 1/3 of your right wing, you can pretend that part is still there but not generating any lift (or drag, but let's ignore yaw stability for simplicity). Assuming 1/3 of your left wing has an aileron on it, all you need to do to fly level is to turn that aileron just enough for that section of wing to have 0 lift. (In reality, that part of the wing would need just enough lift to also compensate for its weight.) Obviously this is easier to do at low angles of attack, which means as you try to slow down and fly at higher angles of attack, you are suddenly going to have stability problems again as you approach the limit of your control authority.

Edited by VincentLaw

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Somewhere around there are pictures of various real fighters which lost large sections of wing and landed safely with no additional damage. I recall seeing a P-47 with only about a third of its wing left, landing. There's been a P-38 with only a couple of feet beyond the engine. F/A-18 with about half of it missing. And an F-15 with only about a foot left.

Granted, the P-51 might be harder to deal with missing wing because the P-51's wing is not a high-lift wing, but on the other hand, that also should mean less differential of lift. Point is, however, although it may seem improbable for an aircraft to be able to fly with large segment of wings missing, not only is it possible, but it's been done repeatedly in the real world.

Edited by Echo38

Would you have brought the plane you landed home in real life ?
Well it very feasible in this skyraider, - a clockwise rotating prop with fullflaps, at landing approach will induce a left yaw, which will counter the lost lift of the right wing , balancing things out a bit. The tricky part is when you flare just before touch down and have to apply more left rudder... so your approach should be more of a sideslip to the left at the point of flaring.. and bingo you're down.... :)