Weapons loadout questions

Mauser55

Hi, I have two questions.

1. Who decides on the aircraft armament before real mission starts? Is it pilot, ground support staff or somebody else?

2. How often are used guided bombs compared to their unguided variants during the real combat missions? Because on the most videos from the battle zones I see only GBUs. What is the ratio?

THX

Edited by Mauser55

Hi, I have two questions.

1. Who decides on the aircraft armament before real mission starts? Is it pilot, ground support staff or somebody else?

2. How often are used guided bombs compared to their unguided variants during the real combat missions? Because on the most videos from the battle zones I see only GBUs. What is the ratio?

THX

1. A mixture of High Level Command/Mission Planners/Sqn Command/Pilots. Depending on the mission/operation and the RoE in place, and quite often a simple case of what weapons are available. In many cases the weapons used won't necessary be the "ideal" weapon. The pilots flying the mission will rarely have much input on the ordnance they carry on most combat sorties.

2. Again it depends on the operation/target and RoE. In current ops PGMs are used due to the proximity of friendly forces and/or civilians, and the fact that we are engaging point targets. Should there be another large scale conflict such as the first gulf war, then there is a good change that "dumb" munitions will see some use, although PGMs will still be used as much as possible. The simple fact is that PGMs are designed for the most part to replace the old dumb munitions, and are more effective against just about every type of target.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL