rift s shimmering drives me mad.

jozeff

Hi guys,

I'm having a lot of fun flying DCS in VR.

However the shimmering is quite annoying and I don't seem to get rid of it.

I used all settings in dcs vr optimization guide.

I use pd 1.5 in Oculus tray tool and used the vr shader mod.

I turned msaa off in game and set msaa in Nvidia control panel.

I have a GTX 2080super and a 9700i with a lot of fast ram.

Am I overlooking sonething here?

I'll try to post my settings in a screenshot later.

Thanks in advance!!

Jozeff

Turning MSAA off and then on in Nvidia Control panel does nothing.

Run 2x MSAA in DCS. AF to 16x.

Still going to get some shimmering though.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I would think with your rig you should be able to run in game MSAA at 2x.

I run resolution of cockpit displays at 512.

Only thing I set in Nvidia Control Panel is " Prefer Maximum Performance".

I leave pre-rendered frames at default of 1.

If that is a Rift S you might want to lower your SS to around 1.3.

My settings:

W1YlfyB.jpg

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Echoing what other people have said. Use MSAA 2x via the in-game settings, the NVCP setting doesn’t work in DCS VR. Also you might need to lower your PD/SS. Try 1.3 SS via OTT with 2x MSAA.

Intel Core i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz // Nvidia GTX 1080Ti // 32 GB DDR4 RAM // 1 TB SSD

Thanks guys, I'll give it a try.

I thought msaa in Nvidia inspector was way better than in game settings but ok.

I have ss 1.5 or 1.6 but I don't really see a difference..

I have the vr shader mod installed and use the setting where you can set the anti aliasing for centre of view. Do you guys use that??

This I'm running PD of 1.2 and MSAA 2x.

Setting AF or MSAA out of game via nvidia control panel doesn't work.

Those who think it does fails to notice the fact that it isn't on at all, and of course that brings some perf benefits and they announce it as "better", heck I have been there.

The shader mod does indeed help with performance a lot, but last time I tried it it borked up cockpit canopy reflections something awful when I was over water and went back to regular.

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.

The thing with the shader mod is that you need to go through uninstall / re-install each update even when that goes through utility's like OvGME and stuff.

And even then they can get borked leaving you again with nothing.

It would be far more easier when ED provided a option for a selectable shader for VR.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

It always shimmers on the ground, no matter what the settings, mod, etc...

MSAA though is a big framerate killer, I would rather increase my PD to 1.2 and keep it off.

Shader mod didn't do much for me, I suspect maybe it works on lower end systems.

Shimmering will be there for a long time. Best to accept it. Had briefly a Reverb and also with that high resolution, shimmering is still painful, especially on the carrier looking around.

But also on monitor you do have that, but to a lesser degree.

I guess, only once we have real high resolution headsets like 8K per eye, this will go away.

Try with ASW disabled. I can't stand ASW. Everything is jelly or broken on edges. I can live with doubling effect because of frames missing than having everything wobbly.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

Try with ASW disabled. I can't stand ASW. Everything is jelly or broken on edges. I can live with doubling effect because of frames missing than having everything wobbly.

Agreed, this came back on for some reason on my index and I couldn't stand all the artifacts, some of which fit into the "shimmering" description.

5800X3d, 32GB DDR4@3400, 6800 xt, Reverb G2, Gunfighter/TMWH

• 3 weeks later...

Another thing is to use OTT instead of the game PD settings. Still searching for a option to set the VR window output resolution on the forums but the game creates a smaller window which ads to the shimmering effect.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

I found the DCS SSA set to 1.5 helped a lot with shimmering and I did not notice a drop in FPS.

I am locked in at 45 Hz permanently so this may explain why I do not notice a difference, however I also did not notice an fps drop when I was testing the headset with a max setting of 60Hz with re projection set to "auto" (60Hz and 30Hz), but again this is a binary 60 or 30 so no good for testing FPS drops.

My Pixel density is 1.0 (I find this setting to be more expensive in frame rates than the MSAA setting in DCS, I can set a PD of 0.9 and run 4 MSAA all day long but I prefer 1.0 and 2 MSAA).

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

Since when does dcs ssaa work with vr?

Infact ssaa should not work in vr

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽 Meta Quest 3  🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, F-15EX Throttle, MFG Crosswinds v3, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

Since when does dcs ssaa work with vr?

It doesn't.

Don B

Ok, so I'm a bit confused.

I set pixel density to 1.5 in Oculus tray tool.

In dcs I have it at 1.0 so it doesn't do anything.

Msaa I have at 2x.

Should I mess with the ssaa??

If I turn off msaa an raise pixel density I don't see that much of a difference to be honest.

Also msaa 2x and msaa 4x looks the same to me except for much lower dose.

I have a rift s, 2080 super and 9700k and 32 fast ram

Thanks a lot.

Cheers

Jozeff

Do not use SSAA for VR.

Don B

Do not use SSAA for VR.

Exactly

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽 Meta Quest 3  🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, F-15EX Throttle, MFG Crosswinds v3, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

I will have to go back and check it, placebo effect perhaps.

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.