EDM EXPORTER for Blender 2.8

tobi

Funny idea Thunderphantom :].

I think the problem might be that the airplane you are replacing has a more complex collision system and that this is not connected to the collision object you export in Blender.

If you can see your collision object in MV (pushing the red box button I think) then it is nothing related to the exporter I guess. It is more about adjusting the unit's lua files, Where I think we might not be able to support you in this treat.

Quiza pueda encontrar mas information en el foro sober este tema en concreto.

Animo y suerte con su projecto, se ve muy original. Me gusta el disenio vintage del ovni :]

I didn't know the community has to fight "encryption"(format) to be able to make other tools make 3D models for DCS ... isn't modding a well supported thing?

I'm referring to the

I have used much of the knowledge provided by NickD. ( https://ndevenish.github.io/Blender_ioEDM/ )He made the difficult start decrypting the EDM files and thus laid the foundation and understanding for developing such addons.

There could be another un-encrypted version where it would be easier to make addons on, meant for the modding and sharing (and importing?), but the encryped one would be kept for ED and ED's third parties. Because there's only one, it forces people to try to do whatever it takes to make it work.

Edited by Worrazen

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

Hi, You can create collision shells and collision lines and give them certain names. I do not know the requirements for the rafale. If you want to integrate the collision forms into an existing edm file it will not work. creating a new extra file is possible. If and how exactly it will be integrated I cannot tell you

I just want to drop a line to say thanks for this thread and for everyone's efforts. I'm totally new to all of this. I have no modelling experience or skills at all so am starting from scratch.

A step by step narrated video series would be very welcome if anyone has the time. Now that we are in lock down and I'm medically retired so I thought I'd finally take the plunge rather than watching the vids and not actually trying them as I'd really like some fire trench/foxhole models for missions in working on.

As I said I have no modelling skills so have started by importing community models into blender and following the steps to getting them into model viewer. I will get to learning how to do my own. I've managed that and can see the models in model viewer. Not had any luck exporting materials and just see a message saying the texture is missing so my learning goes on and I'll keep at it.

Anyway thanks to everyone posting here. The skills you have are mind blowing.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

Hi ICEVIPER!

It is a long way but nothing that can not be achieved :].

I think the best thing you could do is to start understanding the basics of Blender, before jumping into anything else. Creating a static model would be pretty straightforward, however, there are concepts to be understood before, so you know what you are doing.

For the video tutorials, I can not go for that right now, sorry. In any case, you will find enough to keep going in this post (some people including me have posted pretty decent info here to achieve what you are looking for, is hard to get the basic concepts... but after goes quite smooth), the documentation of the addon is quite straight forward but you should learn Blender 2.8 basics first, I think.

Best and good luck with your project!

• Thanks 1

Hi ICEVIPER!

It is a long way but nothing that can not be achieved :].

I think the best thing you could do is to start understanding the basics of Blender, before jumping into anything else. Creating a static model would be pretty straightforward, however, there are concepts to be understood before, so you know what you are doing.

For the video tutorials, I can not go for that right now, sorry. In any case, you will find enough to keep going in this post (some people including me have posted pretty decent info here to achieve what you are looking for, is hard to get the basic concepts... but after goes quite smooth), the documentation of the addon is quite straight forward but you should learn Blender 2.8 basics first, I think.

Best and good luck with your project!

That's the plan. I've already started doing my homework so fingers crossed. I was amazed I was able to get something into the model viewer tbh.

Regards

Geoff

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

Hello all,

Ive downloaded the edm zip file and when in Blender, i follow the instructions but I dont see it listed anywhere under the Add-On's. Im currently using the newest Blender 2.8 version.

Hi ostheim,

I have uploaded a little video about How to Download/Install/Export to MV

Hope you find it useful :]

*I have no issues with lates Blender 2.82a

Best

• 2 weeks later...

Ah the tool works nice but I'm running into a problem.

I'm animating a turning ship screw, I added a 2nd bone and animated it to turn, that all wokrs fine, but the location is wrong in model viewer and in game, the propeller moves back inside the center of the model (origin point)

What is the proper workflow to make sure other objects and bones in the model appear in game where they should ?

Edited by Balu010

Ah the tool works nice but I'm running into a problem.

I'm animating a turning ship screw, I added a 2nd bone and animated it to turn, that all wokrs fine, but the location is wrong in model viewer and in game, the propeller moves back inside the center of the model (origin point)

What is the proper workflow to make sure other objects and bones in the model appear in game where they should ?

Hey could you post a simplified .blend file where the problem occurs?

Maybe this video could help you.

The animation of the turning turrent is similar to a turning ship screw

Hey could you post a simplified .blend file where the problem occurs?

Maybe this video could help you.

The animation of the turning turrent is similar to a turning ship screw

Thx for the video.

My example is even simpler ,2 objects, 2 bones. But my objects are already created, I add bones later. I parented my objects, the moved the 2nd bone to its place and made the keyframes. That is it.

The one thing I noticed what is really different in your video is the way you created the bones. You added them as connected and used the option to disconnect them. I used the add menu to add the 2nd bone already not connected to the first. I'll give a try to your method.

Edit: I played around with it a bit more , and I think I figured out what I messed up, at one point I used apply all transforms on my bone, and all position was from that point from there, guess what, it was in the middle :D

Edited by Balu010

Ok fine!

It was not it, but I finally figured it out!! yay :D

For objects to show up at the proper place in DCS in blender the bone have to be set "Relative Parenting"

In pose mode select a bone other then the main bone go to the Bone properties and under Relations just under the Parent name there is the flag, it was off from me on all my bones, dunno why.

I hope it helps if others run into this problem.

It was not it, but I finally figured it out!! yay :D

For objects to show up at the proper place in DCS in blender the bone have to be set "Relative Parenting"

In pose mode select a bone other then the main bone go to the Bone properties and under Relations just under the Parent name there is the flag, it was off from me on all my bones, dunno why.

I hope it helps if others run into this problem.

Ok thank you. I will also add this to the docu
Edited by tobi

• 2 weeks later...

First off, thank you for creating this tool.

We only had a new version of 3DS max, and there was no EDM exporter for our version. It created nightmare. At least with Blender all of us are on the same page and format.

But I now Have an issue. I exported a model as a test, it views well in ModelVeiwer and we've imported it into DCs with little issue.

Except, after making a few tweaks to the model, for the life of me we can not longer export it as an EDM. There is no error in the console. It just states the export is complete.

So after days of trying to figure out what we broke, I tried just exporting the normal cube. I give it a render node, a texture, make sure its in Tris and export.

it does exactly the same thing.

It exports as a 1kb edm file, that opens as a blank file in Modelviewer.

So either I've now done something wrong, or did our exporter break?

Any ideas?

Hi moody,

Did you use an armature as the root of the model? There is a good tutorial video by grajo how to set up a simple model and a list of neccessary steps in the read me. Did you follow them?

First off, thank you for creating this tool.

We only had a new version of 3DS max, and there was no EDM exporter for our version. It created nightmare. At least with Blender all of us are on the same page and format.

But I now Have an issue. I exported a model as a test, it views well in ModelVeiwer and we've imported it into DCs with little issue.

Except, after making a few tweaks to the model, for the life of me we can not longer export it as an EDM. There is no error in the console. It just states the export is complete.

So after days of trying to figure out what we broke, I tried just exporting the normal cube. I give it a render node, a texture, make sure its in Tris and export.

it does exactly the same thing.

It exports as a 1kb edm file, that opens as a blank file in Modelviewer.

So either I've now done something wrong, or did our exporter break?

Any ideas?

Did you create Armature and parent model to it? Only what is parented to the Armature is exported.

If it is not this, then with the info you provide, I can not give any other diagnostic.

Maybe Tobi could check your file for debugging if both of you are up to it.

Did you create Armature and parent model to it? Only what is parented to the Armature is exported.

If it is not this, then with the info you provide, I can not give any other diagnostic.

Maybe Tobi could check your file for debugging if both of you are up to it.

Same idea writing parallel :)