Effect wear off on you? - Page 5 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 04-07-2020, 09:23 PM   #41
Gunnars Driver

For me 2d isnt an option, regardless of screen size. I got a 120” screen but its still 2d. The 3d feeling inside the cockpit and for formation flights and air refueling etc is completely lost without VR.

The first Wow-effect is gone, but the “inside” cockpit feeling still is there.
The Wow-effect from real flying is also since long gone, and I’m in most cases looking more forward to a gaming night with friends then a real flight.
Gunnars Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 10:36 PM   #42
Baldrick33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callsign.Vega View Post
Interesting. I would be curious to see the number of people who have nice 4K TV's (especially OLEDs) like our vs VR preference numbers. I would suspect those that prefer VR for long term would be not nearly as lopsided as say those (majority?) of people that came from flying on small computer LCD monitors that went to VR. The latter does really suck.
Back in the DK2 days I got a 4K 48" TV for sims. I was so bitten by the VR "being in the plane/car" thing that once the CV1 came out I ended up giving the TV to my daughter when she moved out.

There is nothing quality wise that would tempt me back to monitors, the quality of a nice large 4K monitor or TV is already excellent. VR for me is a complete game changer. Doesn't mean I don't hanker for monitor quality graphics in VR, I certainly do but reverting isn't a choice for me now.
Baldrick33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 11:50 PM   #43
eaglecash867

Quote:
Interesting. I would be curious to see the number of people who have nice 4K TV's (especially OLEDs) like our vs VR preference numbers. I would suspect those that prefer VR for long term would be not nearly as lopsided as say those (majority?) of people that came from flying on small computer LCD monitors that went to VR. The latter does really suck.
I've got a 49" Samsung QLED 4K TV hooked up to my gaming rig, and the quality of the video is fantastic. But, it doesn't change the fact that its like watching an HD movie about flying a plane. I can make believe that I'm looking between trees and buildings, but I'm just looking at the space between pictures of trees and buildings. In VR, I don't have to make believe that I'm doing that, my brain is tricked into believing I'm really looking between actual trees and buildings. I don't have the depth perception or spatial awareness in 2D, no matter how big or high-resolution my TV is, it just isn't there.
ASRock Z370 Professional Gaming i7, Intel i7 8700K Coffee Lake processor @4.7GHz, Corsair H105 Liquid Cooler, G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 64GB DDR4 3400 memory, MSI GTX2080Ti Gaming X Trio 11GB video card, Samsung 840PRO 256MB SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 850PRO 2TB SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb Pro, and Oculus Rift CV1. Partridge and pear tree pending.
eaglecash867 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 12:29 AM   #44
Svsmokey

VR tricks your brain on such a fundamental level into believing you are IN that cockpit , and IN that world , that it is difficult to explain to those who haven't tried it .
My daughter and her husband just got the first of two Quests they ordered , and they are absolutely freaking out , despite my telling them about the VR experience for the past year+ , and they haven't even tried wired mode yet !

"Hold my beer"
Svsmokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 01:02 AM   #45
Notso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnars Driver View Post
For me 2d isnt an option, regardless of screen size. I got a 120” screen but its still 2d. The 3d feeling inside the cockpit and for formation flights and air refueling etc is completely lost without VR.

The first Wow-effect is gone, but the “inside” cockpit feeling still is there.
The Wow-effect from real flying is also since long gone, and I’m in most cases looking more forward to a gaming night with friends then a real flight.
What are you flying IRL?
Old 04-08-2020, 01:09 AM   #46
Notso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svsmokey View Post
VR tricks your brain on such a fundamental level into believing you are IN that cockpit , and IN that world , that it is difficult to explain to those who haven't tried it .
My daughter and her husband just got the first of two Quests they ordered , and they are absolutely freaking out , despite my telling them about the VR experience for the past year+ , and they haven't even tried wired mode yet !
I had a buddy/co-worker who is an ex-fighter pilot (former F-16 driver) help me move some stuff with his truck a couple of weeks ago and while he was here at the house I asked if he wanted to see my VR setup I had been talking about at work. He said sure. So I put him on the runway at Nellis in the Viper and as soon as he put on the headset his first words were "Holy F___!!". The entire time he was flying around he just kept saying "Oh my god. Oh...my... god."
Old 04-08-2020, 01:31 AM   #47
Svsmokey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notso View Post
I had a buddy/co-worker who is an ex-fighter pilot (former F-16 driver) help me move some stuff with his truck a couple of weeks ago and while he was here at the house I asked if he wanted to see my VR setup I had been talking about at work. He said sure. So I put him on the runway at Nellis in the Viper and as soon as he put on the headset his first words were "Holy F___!!". The entire time he was flying around he just kept saying "Oh my god. Oh...my... god."
Priceless !

"Hold my beer"
Svsmokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 03:14 AM   #48
BMGZ06

Quote:
All good points guys, thinking of getting another Reverb... interesting thoughts on the more recent "Revision" of the Reverb from Amazon. Is this actually proven or just speculation?

As for the difficulty of spotting airplanes during dog-fighting, that is kinda a huge deal considering how that is a big part of flying DCS planes!
It is not an exact science but for me neither reverb from BH photo was as good as the one from amazon likely due to the build date. IF you buy from amazon you may be more likely to get a recent build. Although maybe because of me BH is out of their older stock.lol They get what thy get and in order to get more or newer ones they have to get rid of their current stock which they said I am helping them with
System Specs: i9 9900KS, EVGA 2080 TI FTW 3 Ultra OC'd, 32gb Gskill Trident Z Royal ram(for the bling), Samsung 970 PRO M.2 SSD,. Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog throttle and VKB GF3/MCG PRO stick, MFG Crosswind V2, HP REVERB.

DCS modules: F-14, F-18, F-16, A-10, Nevada and PG

Other money pit hobbies are: My 07 C6 Z06 and Guns.
BMGZ06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 04:47 AM   #49
Shack

VR only for me. I have to feel the realism factor to fly DCS. BMS was enjoyable until I saw flight in VR then it was like a cat that saw the laser light for the first time …
Reverb Pro HMD
HOTAS: TM Warthog throttle / TM F18 Grip
Dual H640P Huion tablets used with VRK (Virtual Kneeboard ) software
Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker
DOF Reality P6, 6 axis Motion Platform
Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 09:04 AM   #50
dburne
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shack View Post
VR only for me. I have to feel the realism factor to fly DCS. BMS was enjoyable until I saw flight in VR then it was like a cat that saw the laser light for the first time
Lol nice analogy!

My VKB Gunfighter MK III Pro L Review
EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.2 GHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3200 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Samsung 970 Pro, 970 Evo 1TB m.2 Nvme |VKB GF MK III Pro L | Rift S | Oculus Quest |
dburne is offline   Reply With Quote