JTAC/CAS series anyone? - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 01-04-2019, 01:20 PM   #21
LeVince

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomestMaximusTheFifth View Post
@HAWG63, that is a perfect example.

I like that type of examples because it is not simple. It is a difficult scenario (yes you might have to go over it a few times to understand it) that is close to what you will be doing in practice. most of the scenarios that you see in training videos are very simple and just repeat what the AI JTAC in DCS does.

what will even be more informative is if you would explain the situation and what the JTAC wants to do before hand, so that the viewer has an idea of what to expect and is not taken by surprise by the events.

Example

1). prior to the radio comms, you explain that there is JTAC on ground at this position.
2). explain that the JTAC is going to use positions A and B if he is contacted by an aircraft.
eg. if only one aircraft shows up, JTAC will give holding point A, 2 JTAC will give A and B, 3 ... etc
3). show the two flights approaching and give info (spd, hdg, alt), and then explain that in the radio transmission, flight HAWG will identify itself with the following line, break up the line and show how it will be different to DUDE.

basically i'd like to see each line in a comprehensive radio interaction analysed and explained with a shit load of different examples to show how that line can change according to the situation.

on another note, i know i am asking too much (and i know beggars cannot be choosers) but i see potential in this series

Awsome, I agree with you that much more information could be given in these videos, but these videos would last for hours. There are as many possibilities as scenarios and Hawg could write a book.
I think that given the density of the subject, several small videos such as Hawg publish for now, are better than a long and potentially boring video.

I invite you to watch the "Joint Publication 3-09.3 Close air support" referred to in the first video. You will find a source of inspiration and intelligence, there are many examples of communications and explanations of each step of the CAS. Hawg's videos illustrate some chapters very well

Finally, a little practice, the CAS is dynamic, there is a lot of improvisation. Impossible to go around all the possibilities in video.
Old 01-04-2019, 03:32 PM   #22
Yurgon
Campaign Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeVince View Post
[...] and Hawg could write a book.
Actually not a bad idea. Insta-buy for me.

There's "Fire Strike 7/9" from a British JTAC serving in Afghanistan, but I don't recall reading terms like "9 Line" or "GTL", "LTL" or anything that goes into all those details that would help us learn CAS or use it in DCS. Still a highly recommended book for anyone interested, though!

Okay, sorry, now back to topic.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:50 PM   #23
HAWG63

Awesomest,

I see what your saying now. Thank you sir! It is well received and I am confident all the following videos will be different in their delivery as I try to find what is received the best!

Levince and Yurgon.

Thanks gentlemen. I promise to work towards my 9 line video this week as family priorities got me away from the computer last week.
Yurgon, I will make a specific mission with regards to GTL and LTL's that will have no choice to discuss KEYHOLE and deconfliction options. I believe what I have so far ready for this video will really open up what people can imagine to execute safe and proficient strikes!

Back to 9 Line DCS screen captures!
HAWG63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 04:40 AM   #24
AwesomestMaximusTheFifth

All the best @HAWG63, looking forward to the new video soon

F-14 | F/A-18C | A10-C | AV-8B NA | M-2000C | MiG-21bis | Ka50 | UH-1H | Mi-8MTV2 | FC3 | CA
Caucasus | Nevada NTTR | Persian Gulf

If you can build it why not!!!
AwesomestMaximusTheFifth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 03:27 AM   #25
HAWG63

All,

I've fallen the way side with the Situation update and 9-Line video.

In other news after speaking about this loft or Toss technique with the F/A18C I smashed together a quick and dirty about what it is I am actually talking about. Sometimes I like to fly and not have to JTAC boys!

In this example we use terrain to mask our advance into the target area. By doing so we minimize our vulnerability period to almost NIL in this example. By making best possible speed we are able to LOFT deliver the GPS guided munition at a distance and we are long gone even before the weapons hit. Hope this helps.

JDAM LOFT/TOSS delivery for those that want to spice things up and.... Stay alive?https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiSXg8c5UbQ&t=8s
Old 08-20-2019, 08:37 AM   #26
rag48

Just wanted to say that after seeing this thread I picked up a copy of Fire Strike 7/9 a few months ago, and just got to finishing it. A great read! Would highly recommend it.
rag48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 02:43 PM   #27
HAWG63

Ill be able next week to lay down a couple more JTAC educational videos in my petty JTAC channel in hopes to bring more realism to DCS MP. So I decided to splice the tapes to show how fruitful it can be when all the sex has been spat on the radio. The sound alone is worth it troops! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tz2p7y63d3o
Old 02-12-2020, 10:51 AM   #28
EntropySG

regarding CAS and JTACs:

The 132nd Virtual Wing is opening recruitment for dedicated A10-C pilots again. Although we train for and fly all mission profiles (AR, SCAR, etc), the focus of our A10 squadron is on Close Air Support featuring human JTACs.
(In addition to A10 pilots, we always have room for more JTACs, should you be interested in becoming a JTAC (no matter if you are experienced already or want to start from scratch), we would also be happy to have you on board!)

After completing your Mission Qualification Training (MQT), we offer CAS qualifications up to and including FAC(A)qualification.

If you want to be part of a tightly structured and friendly multiplayer environment that focuses on immersion, realism, and strategy, come and visit us.

Our Training days are Wednesdays at 1900z, and on Sundays we have either Training or Combat missions (completion of MQT is required to participate in our Combat Missions).

To see us in action, please check out our youtube channel; and give us a visit on our website, where you will find all info you need about the recruitment process.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqw...EPIaeUYGoxqnmA
http://132virtualwing.org/

We mainly fly on the Persian Gulf map.

Please note that a good level of English, and a proper microphone setup, are mandatory.

We looking forward to hearing from you!
Old 02-13-2020, 01:59 AM   #29
HAWG63

Thanks Entropy!

I have played several missions with the 132nd and it is well worth the time invested every time!

Entropy. HAWG63 and RIFLE are one and the same.

Cheers.