Forum Maintenance between 04:00 - 06:00 UTC ×
Forum Maintenance between 04:00 - 06:00 UTC

High end build+VR help?

Hello there,

Before I look like too much of a noob, I've spent the last 5 days until roughly 430 am trying to get a stable FPS with some higher end graphics in my HTC Vive Pro.

VR is still new to me, picked it up when this self isolation thing started.

Looking for a little assistance here, so bare with me for a moment, and thanks for any tips in advance.

Current build is:

Intel I9 9900ks @ 5 ghz

Evga z390 dark

TridentZ 32gb RGB @3200mhz

EVGA 2080 Super stock clocks

Samsung 970 evo m.2

HTC Vive Pro

I feel like the steamvr settings arent even changing anything, I put the render resolution in every position and havent noticed a difference visually or performance wise. (SteamVR 1.11.5)

So as it stands, my cockpit has a very stable fps, everything moves fluidly for the most part,

except for terrain. It stutters, and I've tried lowering a lot of the settings to a point where it's like I'm playing nintendo.

Looking for some pointers, have read more than a few posts that all utilized older steamVR settings, tried both beta DCS and normal.

Intel I9-9900KS @5.2Ghz, EVGA Z390 Dark, 32gb TridentZ ddr4 @3200mhz, EVGA 2080 Super, EVGA 1300w Supernova, Samsung M.2 1tb 970 evo, ASUS XG49V, HTC Vive Pro, Warthog Hotas+Throttle

Hi Wartooth,

This is best put under the tucked away VR selection

Input and Output » Virtual Reality

You will find many discussions about all the VR gear, including the Vive.

I could only find this post with some info, it's a little old tho.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3699005#post3699005

I have a Rift so never set one up. Perhaps just start a new thread, someone with one should be able to help with settings for how DCS is now, many upgrades since that old post above. Gives you an idea of all the settings to play with.

Also start with the VR pre set under the options and work your way up. It's always a balance with VR between eye candy, mission size, graphic settings.

DCS is one of the largest VR sim/games available. Not built for VR from the ground up like in the little games in the VR stores.

So large DCS Mission / Campaign lower settings etc.

The big ones for VR for me under options. PD setting (I use 1.5 old rift), Preload radius around middle, Visibility range Medium to high.

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Wartooth. I too was having some major visual stuttering problems, especially with VR, but then found out one of the most important things to prevent it. Do this:

Create a file in Notepad and name it autoexec.cfg.

Place the following one line in the file:

no_device_hotplug = true

Place the file in the Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World (or DCS World OpenBeta)\Config folder.

Restart DCS and the bulk of the stuttering will be over. Other guys play with adjusting things like shaders and so forth, but I now have excellent resolution and smoothness with Textures set at HIGH and Visibility at EXTREME and some other high settings. On the VR tab on the Settings screen, I set the pixel density at 1.2, though. I expect that the other settings that people recommend may be even better, but this is working great for me now. I can give you some other settings if you want, but I am not really an expert in this regard. I suspect that having lots of memory both on the 2080ti and motherboard makes a difference also, but I'm not really sure. Note that I am just running a 4Ghz machine without overclocking as well! I actually had to disable the overclocking because that was unstable in VR and was crashing my system. Maybe there are ways to overclock without going into "Gaming Mode", but I don't know how to do it. Gaming Mode is a disaster with this game in VR. I am pretty sure, though, having the 2080ti is a key to making this thing run well.

Edited by bigbear

=====================================

Intel I7-6700 32GB RAM, Krait Z170A, NVIDIA RTX 2080ti 11GB, TrackIR5, TM HOTAS Warthog, MFG pedals, Samsung CRG9 49" monitor, HP Reverb VR, 500GB SSD.

Create a file in Notepad and name it autoexec.cfg.

Place the following one line in the file:

no_device_hotplug = true

Place the file in the Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World (or DCS World OpenBeta)\Config folder.

Wait... I thought that went in the Saved Games folder, not Program Files...

No wonder I have been chasing issues!

Intel i7 9700k, 64GB DDR4 (Corsair), Gigabyte Z390 Master, RTX 2080 Ti AMP 11gb, 500GB Sabrent Rocket (System), 1TB XPG Gammix S11 Pro M.2 (DCS), Windows 11 64-bit Pro, Samsung 49" 4K CRG9 Monitor (5120x1440), Samsung Odyssey Plus, TrackIR 5, Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas, Various streamdecks, button boxes, Logitech Pro Rudder Pedals, Corsair K95 Platinum, Iron Claw mouse.

DCS OB, F-14B Tomcat, F-18C Hornet, F-16C Viper, A-10C Warthog, F-5 Tiger II, AV-8B Harrier, P-51D Mustang, FC3, Super Carrier

Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas, (3) Cougar MFD's, Logitech Pro Rudder Pedals, (2) Stream Decks, (1) Stream Deck XL, (1) Stream Deck Mini, Misc Button Boxes