F/A-18 VR Pit

dobroDude

I started building a pit a few years ago but it was just a meager desk with a few monstertech mounts. My budget has increased steadily since then so, in August 2019 I decided to get a 3D printer and put my engineering degree to use — finally. I've learned a lot from you guys on these forums and thought I should finally show it off.

Photo%20Apr%2006%2C%2011%2038%2006%20AM.jpg?raw=1

Goals:

• Build a pit purely for VR use. No backlighting and unnecessary paneling for cosmetic purposes — just nice enough to not be an eyesore.

• Design based on Super Hornet to be more future-proof (but mostly to avoid making that dumb wing fold lever).

I designed everything in Fusion 360 and printed on an Ender 5 in PLA.

Most of the switches I got from AliExpress or Mouser. I even used locking toggle switches where required (e.g. Master Arm, Laser Arm, Anti-Skid, IDECM, Wing Fold, and Launch Bar). I used small NKK locking toggles and created a threaded cap to mimic the various honeywell-style levers.

All panels use an Arduino Pro Micro that I programmed to imitate a game controller. It's a bit annoying because they all say "Arduino micro" or something like that and I can't change it. Also, every now and then DCS scrambles my bindings because of that. But I have presets saved to easily re-bind everything.

For those wondering, here's a list of all the off-the-shelf hardware I'm using:

• Thrustmaster F/A-18 stick and Warthog throttle

• Oculus Rift S

• MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

• Sahaj 15 CM Warthog stick extension

• 3 x Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

• 2 x Monstertech extended desk mounts (one for throttle, one for stick)

• Buttkicker

• Logitech G710+ Keyboard

• Logitech Trackball mouse

Photo%20Jan%2005%2C%204%2007%2049%20PM.jpg?raw=1

Photo%20Jan%2005%2C%204%2008%2011%20PM.jpg?raw=1

Photo%20Jan%2005%2C%204%2008%2021%20PM.jpg?raw=1

I've since updated the hook handle design. You can see here it was two halves screwed together on top of a switch. Now it's a solid piece with a set screw. Way better.

Photo%20Jan%2005%2C%204%2008%2038%20PM.jpg?raw=1

Simple desk-mounted mouse pad that is bolted underneath the chair. The trackball mouse mount is from thingiverse and it's awesome. I modified it quite a bit in Blender. Both the mouse mount and the sensor panel are bolted to the mouse plate.

Photo%20Jan%2005%2C%204%2009%2000%20PM.jpg?raw=1

Photo%20Jan%2005%2C%204%2019%2057%20PM.jpg?raw=1

Photo%20Jan%2005%2C%204%2009%2007%20PM.jpg?raw=1

Simple MDF board mount.

Photo%20Jan%2005%2C%204%2009%2023%20PM.jpg?raw=1

Can't wait for DCS to implement the rest of these controls! Especially indexer brightness and black level.

Photo%20Jan%2005%2C%204%2009%2047%20PM.jpg?raw=1

Rhino IDECM panel. From left to right: Jammer, RWR, Dispenser. I'll bind the Jammer switch to ECM knob whenever that gets implemented.

Photo%20Jan%2005%2C%204%2009%2058%20PM.jpg?raw=1

That guarded locking lever is the Rhino-style wing fold switch. Down is spread, middle is hold, and up is fold. I have programmed some custom LUA controls to make this work int the Hornet.

Photo%20Jan%2005%2C%204%2010%2009%20PM.jpg?raw=1

Photo%20Jan%2005%2C%204%2010%2023%20PM.jpg?raw=1

Photo%20Jan%2005%2C%204%2010%2043%20PM.jpg?raw=1

Definitely the hardest part to design and build. I spent weeks trying to figure out how to make the SEL JETT knob be both a rotary encoder and a push button. Finally settled on making it just a push button. If I ever need to use it, I can just rotate it in-game with the mouse.

Photo%20Jan%2005%2C%204%2011%2005%20PM.jpg?raw=1

Photo%20Jan%2005%2C%204%2011%2016%20PM.jpg?raw=1

3D printed USB HUB for my USB ... hubs.

Photo%20Jan%2005%2C%204%2011%2039%20PM.jpg?raw=1

Photo%20Jan%2005%2C%204%2012%2004%20PM.jpg?raw=1

Made this chair mod years ago and used the leftover faux leather to make a stick boot.

Photo%20Jan%2005%2C%204%2012%2027%20PM.jpg?raw=1

Can anyone guess my next project?

Photo%20Apr%2005%2C%205%2030%2025%20PM.jpg?raw=1

Edited by dobroDude

Awesome work. Very practical setup and pretty good looking, too. Are those rudder pedals your own design?

Thanks dude! I wish, those are MFG Crosswinds - highly recommend! But I did make a cheap mount out of MDF board. I probably should include more detail about the off-the-shelf hardware I'm using.

• Thrustmaster F/A-18 stick and Warthog throttle

• Oculus Rift S

• MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

• Sahaj 15 CM Warthog stick extension

• 3 x Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

• 2 x Monstertech extended desk mounts (one for throttle, one for stick)

• Buttkicker

• Logitech G710+ Keyboard

• Logitech Trackball mouse

Edited by dobroDude

Wow, that's pretty amazing! Fantastic work @DobroDude! I'm trying to do a VR Hornet pit as well and what you have looks perfect. I assume all the switches, knobs, gear handles etc work correctly?

Any chance you would be willing to replicate that setup? I'm happy to pay for the fabrication and time as there is no way I could do any of that. PM me if interested.

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

Wow, that's pretty amazing! Fantastic work @DobroDude! I'm trying to do a VR Hornet pit as well and what you have looks perfect. I assume all the switches, knobs, gear handles etc work correctly?

Any chance you would be willing to replicate that setup? I'm happy to pay for the fabrication and time as there is no way I could do any of that. PM me if interested.

I’m sorry man, I currently don’t have enough time to reproduce and I’m only getting busier. I’ll let you know if anything changes. But yes! All the switches work correctly. Except the SEL JETT — it's only a push button. Too hard to make it a rotary switch as well.

Edited by dobroDude

I actually flew Dobro's setup since he is a close family friend (broski) and its friggin cool. Only problem is I dont use VR and reaching out to grab things was at first like trying to find your way in the dark, but it was nonetheless cool. Sometimes a little black cat would grab your ankle too but from what i hear actual hornet pilots say they find those anklebiters in the real jets too.

You should show the connection points under the desk in the back too.

Oh isn't that the same chair you use for the sitting scybian too?

...Dobro's gonna kill me

I’m sorry man, I currently don’t have enough time to reproduce and I’m only getting busier. I’ll let you know if anything changes. But yes! All the switches work correctly. Except the SEL JETT — it's only a push button. Too hard to make it a rotary switch as well.

Understood. Thanks anyway. Enjoy. I'm totally jealous.

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

That's a very nice setup! Congratulations!! Any chance that you're willing to share the STL-files for your prints or even a shopping list / instructions how you did it? I'm specially interested in the Hook and landing gear lever panels. Great job!

Modules and maps: all of them :doh:

Specs: ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-I, Intel i7-8086K@4.9GHz, 32GB Corsair Vengance RAM, Nvidia RTX 2080 FE, 2x1 TB Samsung EVO 970 M.2, WIN10 64bit, HP Reverb

That's a very nice setup! Congratulations!! Any chance that you're willing to share the STL-files for your prints or even a shopping list / instructions how you did it? I'm specially interested in the Hook and landing gear lever panels. Great job!

Yeah man! Sometime this week I’ll try and put together a detailed shopping list and instructions with the STL files.

If I were a bettin' man, based on the last pic I'd say you're working on converting the throttle switches? Love how you did the left and right consoles with gear/flaps and the hook handle. A lot of us virtual hornet drivers will probably "borrow" your designs lol

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Edited by Dreadwing

If I were a bettin' man, based on the last pic I'd say you're working on converting the throttle switches? Love how you did the left and right consoles with gear/flaps and the hook handle. A lot of us virtual hornet drivers will probably "borrow" your designs lol

Thanks dude! No need to borrow the designs ‘cuz I’ll post the files eventually haha I need to clean up some of them first. This whole project was my first time using Fusion, soldering, Arduino, etc. So my panels got progressively better.

And bingo, working on a complete Rhino throttle. Going to be a very long term project. I spent months attempting to mod the Warthog into a good Rhino setup but that would be even more work than starting from scratch. Found some 3D scans so I’m already off to a good start.

Thanks dude! No need to borrow the designs ‘cuz I’ll post the files eventually haha I need to clean up some of them first. This whole project was my first time using Fusion, soldering, Arduino, etc. So my panels got progressively better.

And bingo, working on a complete Rhino throttle. Going to be a very long term project. I spent months attempting to mod the Warthog into a good Rhino setup but that would be even more work than starting from scratch. Found some 3D scans so I’m already off to a good start.

Have you looked into the open hornet project? They pretty much have everything you need to build a 1:1 hornet pit from panels to switches to fcs

Yeah man! Sometime this week I’ll try and put together a detailed shopping list and instructions with the STL files.

Thank you very much!!!! Just started a bigger maintenance session on my 3D printer to be ready.

Modules and maps: all of them :doh:

Specs: ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-I, Intel i7-8086K@4.9GHz, 32GB Corsair Vengance RAM, Nvidia RTX 2080 FE, 2x1 TB Samsung EVO 970 M.2, WIN10 64bit, HP Reverb

@dobroDude I am really interested in this, as I am just about to buy a Warthog throttle with the intention to mod it as much as possible into a Hornet one (fingerlifts, antenna elev control...). If you gave up on this, I would like to know which problems you did find. And if you have a plan for the scratch build, I would gladly help (I am a HW engineer, and can help with all electronic design, mechanical setup is what would cause me headaches here )

I'm actually halfway through building the throttle from the OpenHornet project! The files provided are a little rough around the edges (the throttle is still in development) and I changed a lot of the hardware to metric which is easier to source in Australia, but it was a great starting point!

I'm actually halfway through building the throttle from the OpenHornet project! The files provided are a little rough around the edges (the throttle is still in development) and I changed a lot of the hardware to metric which is easier to source in Australia, but it was a great starting point!
I'm conceptualizing a Warthog to Hornet throttle conversion using OH, starting with getting the grips and switches set up then try to figure out the software piece.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh yes, these stl files would be fantastic! how did you build the hook lever? thanks for sharing! :-)

Outstanding job ! Congratulations.

Intel i9 7980XE @4.4Hz

64GB DDR4 RAM at 2666MHz

GTX 1080Ti with 11GB GDDR5X

Reverb Pro HMD

HOTAS: TM Warthog throttle / TM F18 Grip

Dual H640P Huion tablets used with VRK (Virtual Kneeboard ) software

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

DOF Reality P6, 6 axis Motion Platform

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

That's a great pit, i love it. Just a bit jealous that you got the MFD mounts with Monstertech Logo.. still going to steal a few ideas from you. How did you attach the center cougar angled? I got the MT MFD mounts too and was wondering how to do it for quite some time. Did you use the pitch/nick adapter from Monstertech, or did you built something on your own?

cheers

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus / 4x TM Cougar MFD / TM TPR / HP Reverb G2

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for the late reply guys - had some life changing things happen with work and I haven't been able to keep up with this stuff for awhile. The central MFD is mounted with a custom 3D printed mount that sits at 10°. Hook lever and gear handle are just 3D printed handles that have a snug set screw mounted onto a basic two-position toggle switch - works great!

Sorry for the late reply guys - had some life changing things happen with work and I haven't been able to keep up with this stuff for awhile. The central MFD is mounted with a custom 3D printed mount that sits at 10°. Hook lever and gear handle are just 3D printed handles that have a snug set screw mounted onto a basic two-position toggle switch - works great!

By far one of the best cockpits I have ever seen.

Remember some say you can´t use a button box with VR :lol::lol::lol:

I own the very same trackball, using a flat bracket attached to the right side, the 3D part support looks awesome. I will figure it out something similar.

Great, great job.

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle