How do I use radar? - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 12-09-2018, 10:59 PM   #11
LooseSeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameswfm View Post
I strongly believe that when the pilot commands a lock the PRF should either go into HI automatically or stay at the most convinient one determined by the computer.
But have you considered that it may work that way in real life..? If so, then perhaps your complaint lies with the real life radar's software designer... so not a bug with the sim, but an accurate representation of real radar limitations?

To be honest, I haven't flown the Hornet for a while, but thinking of PRF implementation on other modules I really can't remember any of them ever having an "automatic" function where the PRF was optimally chosen for you and locked in that setting when a good lock was achieved. It always seemed to be down to the pilot to choose the setting. But hey, I could be wrong!!
- TM Warthog

DCS Modules - A-10C; M-2000C; AV8B; F/A-18C; Ka-50; FC-3; UH-1H; F-5E; Mi-28; F-14; Persian Gulf; NTTR
LooseSeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 11:02 PM   #12
Kenan

Radar so far in DCS Hornet seems...weird..to say the least..I'm having trouble detecting targets..regardless of settings/setup used (number of bars, scan degree, antena elevation etc.)

Commanding Officer of:
2nd Company 1st financial guard battalion "Mrcine"
See our squads here and our promo video.
Croatian radio chat for DCS World
Kenan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 11:02 PM   #13
Jameswfm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LooseSeal View Post
But have you considered that it may work that way in real life..? If so, then perhaps your complaint lies with the real life radar's software designer... so not a bug with the sim, but an accurate representation of real radar limitations?

To be honest, I haven't flown the Hornet for a while, but thinking of PRF implementation on other modules I really can't remember any of them ever having an "automatic" function where the PRF was optimally chosen for you and locked in that setting when a good lock was achieved. It always seemed to be down to the pilot to choose the setting. But hey, I could be wrong!!
I wasnt complaining, I apologize if it came along that way.

The fact that the PRF gets stuck in the frequency it was at the moment of commanding a lock doesnt seem right to me. Even more the fact that you can change it while being locked. If im wrong then I will be even happier to know it works as intended.
Jameswfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 11:05 PM   #14
LooseSeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameswfm View Post
I wasnt complaining, I apologize if it came along that way.
No, not at all. I was just suggesting it might be like that in real life. I mean, I have no idea!! Could be a bug, of course, or could just be something not quite finished yet. I have faith they'll get it all sorted out in the end!
- TM Warthog

DCS Modules - A-10C; M-2000C; AV8B; F/A-18C; Ka-50; FC-3; UH-1H; F-5E; Mi-28; F-14; Persian Gulf; NTTR
LooseSeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 11:05 PM   #15
Tiramisu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenan View Post
Radar so far in DCS Hornet seems...weird..to say the least..I'm having trouble detecting targets..regardless of settings/setup used (number of bars, scan degree, antena elevation etc.)
You may loose lock sometimes, but in the Hornet it should not be hard to find targets on the radar especially with the help of the AWACS. I can often use the radar to get a good picture of the tactical situation, before I dedicate myself to one enemy airplane by radarlocking him.
Tiramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 11:11 PM   #16
Jameswfm

Thanks for the replies guys. Feels good.

I hope maybe mr. Nine Line can take a look at the 2 tracks I attached and see the description so the devs can determine if there is something to dig into or not.

Another thing that makes me wonder, is the fact that after losing lock the radar stops picking up targets for some time and then goes back.

Last edited by Jameswfm; 12-09-2018 at 11:27 PM.
Jameswfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 11:38 PM   #17
Kenan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiramisu View Post
You may loose lock sometimes, but in the Hornet it should not be hard to find targets on the radar especially with the help of the AWACS. I can often use the radar to get a good picture of the tactical situation, before I dedicate myself to one enemy airplane by radarlocking him.

Not sure how can you get a good picture when you're still not able to differentiate basic things like, two targets flying in a standard formation (shown on the radar as one contact).

Commanding Officer of:
Old 12-09-2018, 11:42 PM   #18
Tiramisu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenan View Post
Not sure how can you get a good picture when you're still not able to differentiate basic things like, two targets flying in a standard formation (shown on the radar as one contact).
For me this has never been a problem, because they are displayed on the radar as two very close points, that can be distinguished from each other. If you like I can try to make a screenshot of it next time in one of my flights.
Tiramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 12:12 AM   #19
Kenan

^^No need, I'll take your word for it..I assume it was enabled in one of the recent updates as the last time I tried, the flight of two seemed like a one single contact on the radar.

Commanding Officer of: