The Ultimate DCS World JSGME Guide - If you use mods, you need this.

Ebs

Hey guys, maybe someone can help me.

Since DCS 2.0.4 I receive the error message stream read error when generating a new snapshot file. The snapshot generation stops immidietly.

The snapshot file is 3.2MB while the snapshot file I generated of DCS 2.0.3 was 5.7MB

Did someone else also have had this error and give me a hint how to fix it?

My Mods: DCS User Files

Modules owned: EVERY Module :pilotfly:

I dont know? I dont use Steam, but I still use this software without issue.

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

I realize that, however your question was how are you supposed to use it if its no longer supported. The Program is still functional, so you can still use it as I do, but if you have a specific issue, you will have to switch to the other software that alot of guys are using (cant remember the title at the moments sorry, might be in this thread though?)

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

are there instructions here how to use OvGME for the less than tech savvy?

I was going to direct you to the official OvGME thread, but noticed that indeed it's more of a support thread and there is no Guide showing the use of this utility :( ... it's true that it has a very comprehensive Help within the app, but it isn't as simple as a Guide should be.

So, I wrote my own Guide, trying to share my experience using OvGME .. hope it will be useful, its located here:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=182827

:)

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Hi Everyone,

If you're at all serious about using mods in DCS:World, you need JSGME. Plain and simple.

Cheers!

Ebs.

TL;DR? Take your Ritalin and try again.

5 years later...

I followed your instructions, thank you! Now, when generating the first snapshot, I get a "Stream read error" in DCS2.0: :cry:

Last line visible in the generated snapshot-file is:

C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World 2 OpenAlpha\Mods\terrains\Nevada\Surface\Nevada.onlay.sup4 5541a73

How can I trace the error?

Regards,

flankerrider

flankerrider

CPU | AMD Ryzen 5900X | Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Graphics | ASUS 1080 | Storage | Crucial_CT1050MX300SSD1 (1TB, SATA600, 2.5", SSD, OPAL, SED) | SAMSUNG MZVPV512HDGL-00000 (512.1GB, PCIe3x4/NVMe, M.2, SSD, SED) Wheelbase | Fanatec Clubsport V2 Wheels | Fanatec Podium Classic | Fanatec Clubsport Pedals V2 | Fanatec ClubSport Shifter SQ V 1 Monitor | LG 2560x1080 VR Headset | HP Reverb VR1000 2nd batch | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind Pedals | Recaro-seat (ex-Lancia) | MonsterTech Rig |

• 2 weeks later...
Is it all manual i.e. Just Delete Folders ?

Yes.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

How do I UNinstall JSGME ?

There does not appear to be any uninstaller in Add/Remove Programs OR Programs and Features (or Start/All Programs Folder).

Is it all manual i.e. Just Delete Folders ?

Yes, but remember to first use JSGM to deactivate your current Mods, thus returning DCS to its initial state.

After deactivating the mods, save the Mods that you currently have in _MODS, just in case you decide to reapply them later on.

Finally, you delete the JSGME files that are on your DCS program folder:

jsgme.exe

jsgme.ini

jonesoft.txt

jsgmehelp.txt

:)

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

• 1 month later...
Where is everyone downloading this from? The link is gone from the OP

In all seriousness, don't bother. Jump directly to OVGME and you will not regret it.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=171956

JSGME is just cumbersome to setup and use and without future development.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

• 4 weeks later...

I want to use my JSGME mods in 2 OpenAlpha, if that is possible. I don't think I can just create a _MOD folder there, and copy and paste. So, what do I need to do? Do I need another copy of JSGME for 2 OpenAlpha, and how would I identify it on my desktop?

TWC_SLAG

Win 10 64 bit, 2T Hard Drive, 1T SSD, 500GB SSD, ASUS Prime Z390 MB, Intel i9 9900 Coffee Lake 3.1mhz CPU, ASUS 2070 Super GPU, 32gb DDR4 Ram, Track IR5, 32” Gigabyte curved monitor, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pedals, Voice Attack, hp Reverb G2.

I want to use my JSGME mods in 2 OpenAlpha, if that is possible. I don't think I can just create a _MOD folder there, and copy and paste. So, what do I need to do? Do I need another copy of JSGME for 2 OpenAlpha, and how would I identify it on my desktop?

I had JSGME running in both Beta & Alpha, for me it required 2 copies of JSGME one in each game folder.

Recommend you take a look at OVGME, it's an updated JSGME & allows one mods folder to run multiple versions of DCS.

Example I have DCS Beta and Alpha on an SSD in F: drive with JSGME I needed to replicate the _MODS folder for both versions of the game.

With OVGME I have all the mods now in a folder in D drive a normal HD, with only one version and use it to load mods for both Alpha and Beta separately.

IMHO it has a better interface and features too

I had enough trouble getting JSGME to work.:doh: I'm not good with computers. I better stay with what I know.

If I put another copy of JSGME for 2Alpha in a different drive (D) would that work? If 2Alpha is on the C drive, would the _Mod folder there look to the D drive version of JSGME?

TWC_SLAG

Win 10 64 bit, 2T Hard Drive, 1T SSD, 500GB SSD, ASUS Prime Z390 MB, Intel i9 9900 Coffee Lake 3.1mhz CPU, ASUS 2070 Super GPU, 32gb DDR4 Ram, Track IR5, 32” Gigabyte curved monitor, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pedals, Voice Attack, hp Reverb G2.

JSGME is a wonderful piece of software I have used for many years. My thanks to the creators. With that said it hasn't been updated for a long time and while it still works, there is a new piece of software called OvGME by Sedenion.

When OvGME was created it was basically JSGME lite, however Sedenion has been open to suggestions of users and has updated it several times with many new features. For me it is the goto application for adding mods to a game. Mainly because you only need one copy of the program, and one copy of your mods (unless there are different versions for each version of DCS). Also the program or mods can be on different drives from where the game is (this was something important in my case because my game is on an SSD and I wanted the program and mods on an HDD. Thank you so much Sedenion.

Now as to not being computer savvy... You can use the search feature to search the forum posts for an answer. Or, these forums are full of wonderful and very helpful people. All you need to do is ask, someone will have or find the answer if its out there.

Edited by DeJohn

OVGME also has a comprehensive help section that should answer most any question that may arise.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup: