[Mig-21][SP] The Brezhnev Crash

1168578.JPG

December 1981.

Brezhnev crashed one of his very fast western luxury cars. It is not clear if it was due to an excess of vodka or one of the (many) recent seizures.

The problem is that he will not be getting back soon to his role.

On this scenario Georgia and Chechnya have unilaterally declared indipendence.

You are pilot of Mig-21 Red5 on a 10 mission linear campaign where you will be running CAP missions, interceptions, air to ground and even using precision stand-off weapons in many VVS coordinated attacks.

I hope you enjoy this campaign as much as I enjoyed playing it and as much as I enjoy the Mig-21.

MODS

• Mig-21 (obviously)

CREDITS

• rudel_chw for the static airport templates (modified them a bit to reflect 80s SAM equipment)

DOWNLOAD

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3302704/

UPDATES

• 17/11/2018 fixed the first mission Su-25s not heading for the target area
  • 23/12/2018 fixed last mission trigger broken after last 2.5 update, additionally now campaign will progress if player comes back to base safe, regardless of mission result.

Edited by leonardo_c

• 2 weeks later...
1168578.JPG

December 1981.

Brezhnev crashed one of his very fast western luxury cars. It is not clear if it was due to an excess of vodka or one of the (many) recent seizures.

The problem is that he will not be getting back soon to his role.

On this scenario Georgia and Chechnya have unilaterally declared indipendence.

You are pilot of Mig-21 Red5 on a 10 mission linear campaign where you will be running CAP missions, interceptions, air to ground and even using precision stand-off weapons in many VVS coordinated attacks.

I hope you enjoy this campaign as much as I enjoyed playing it and as much as I enjoy the Mig-21.

MODS

• Mig-21 (obviously)

CREDITS

• rudel_chw for the static airport templates (modified them a bit to reflect 80s SAM equipment)

DOWNLOAD

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3302704/

UPDATES

• 17/11/2018 fixed the first mission Su-25s not heading for the target area

Thanks so much!!! I was looking for some new missions for the Fishbed!

Pain is weakness leaving your body...

My Hangar:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

- CPU: Intel Core i9-9900KF @ 3.60GHz to 5.00GHz

- MB: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS XI HERO Z390

- GPU: ASUS STRIX RTX 2080 SUPER OC 8GB

- RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (8GB x4)

- Storage: 1TB SSD Samsung 860 EVO 1TB

- PSU: ASUS ROG THOR 850W

- Monitor: ASUS ROG XG248Q

- Case: ASUS ROG HELIOS

- Mouse: ASUS ROG CHAKRAM

- Keyboard: ASUS ROG STRIX FLARE

- Headset ASUS ROG DELTA

- Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog SN #95039

OP, thank you. This looks very interesting, I'll give it a try.

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Does the mod pass IC?

I do not have a definitive answer but my best guess is that it should since it is only a campaign and some missions, nothing is added to the DCS installation folder. ;)

If you refer to the VPC mod I think yes, I'm not an avid multiplayer but I had never had problems with it installed in C:\Users\myUserHere\Saved Games\DCS\Mods\tech\main

Hi, could be adapted to insert a Blue force composed of F-5/A-4 aircraft?

One of the variants I had in mind was to add Turkey to the Blue side, so we would have F-5s and even F-4s in the fight, but then I decided that it would be more interesting to exploit the fact that actually Mig-21s were built in Tbilisi (I did not make that up, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mikoyan-Gurevich_MiG-21#Production)

As for the A-4 I do not have yet that mod installed but hey, you can edit the missions, just keep an eye on the flags and mission goals, if I remember correctly there are a couple where you have to destroy fighters.:thumbup:

I've a problem with the VPC airfield equipment. I installed it, checked the correct installation (in the module manager) but when i start the campaign it says VPC airfield equipment required. Any clue?

Pain is weakness leaving your body...

My Hangar:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

- CPU: Intel Core i9-9900KF @ 3.60GHz to 5.00GHz

- MB: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS XI HERO Z390

- GPU: ASUS STRIX RTX 2080 SUPER OC 8GB

- RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (8GB x4)

- Storage: 1TB SSD Samsung 860 EVO 1TB

- PSU: ASUS ROG THOR 850W

- Monitor: ASUS ROG XG248Q

- Case: ASUS ROG HELIOS

- Mouse: ASUS ROG CHAKRAM

- Keyboard: ASUS ROG STRIX FLARE

- Headset ASUS ROG DELTA

- Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog SN #95039

I've a problem with the VPC airfield equipment. I installed it, checked the correct installation (in the module manager) but when i start the campaign it says VPC airfield equipment required. Any clue?

Unfortunately, the zip folder is not "install friendly" so I dragged the "tech" folder of that zip into:

c:\users\myUserFolder\Saved Games\DCS\Mods

After this you should have:

c:\users\myUserFolder\Saved Games\DCS\Mods\tech\main

and then a bunch of files and folders there.

i have the same problem like Fishbed-21. And i thought of the savedgames folder as a alternative install location as well, didn't try that yet though. But doing it the OvGME way works in that the mod shows up in the ingame module manager. So i am curious, how can it show up correctly ingame in the module manager but still not work as intended?

It seems I can't complete the campaign. The mission, I expect the last mission, requires the destruction of a bunker with GROM missiles. I've attempted the mission twice, successfully destroyed the bunker and the surrounding units, returned to base, but the result is 0. Not sure if I'm missing a trigger or something.

It seems I can't complete the campaign. The mission, I expect the last mission, requires the destruction of a bunker with GROM missiles. I've attempted the mission twice, successfully destroyed the bunker and the surrounding units, returned to base, but the result is 0. Not sure if I'm missing a trigger or something.

It appears that the latest DCS update broke the final mission, I'm sorry.

I suppose you also are not getting the radio message that says that the warehouse was destroyed.

The attached mission should fix it, just replace the file in the campaign folder.

I will then patch the uploaded campaign.

Thanks a lot for your feedback.:thumbup:

Brezhnev_Crash_Day_3_1730.miz

Thank you for the MiG-21 campaign. An aircraft that somehow did not really get alot of love SP wise.

I have completed the first 3 missions, but now I am somehow a bit stuck on number 4. For some reason the Su-25 flight gets stuck on the taxiway towards runway 33 and my wingman behind them. I can taxi to the runway using a different taxiway, but the other aircraft will never move again. The same thing actually happened already on mission 3, but did not effect the outcome.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thank you for the MiG-21 campaign. An aircraft that somehow did not really get alot of love SP wise.

I have completed the first 3 missions, but now I am somehow a bit stuck on number 4. For some reason the Su-25 flight gets stuck on the taxiway towards runway 33 and my wingman behind them. I can taxi to the runway using a different taxiway, but the other aircraft will never move again. The same thing actually happened already on mission 3, but did not effect the outcome.

Strange, I just replayed the whole campaign last week. I hope you downloaded the update, although it has nothing to do with taxiing.

This is a problem more with DCS than the campaign.

To "unstuck" your wingman you need to radio him "Follow Route" from the "Navigation Menu".

This should make him takeoff when he is on the runway before you.

Then, you must remember to radio him "Rejoin" when you are on the air, otherwise he will remain flying on his own at 400kts, in despair :D

So, to recap:

- when wingman reaches runway before you -> radio "Follow Route"

- after you takeoff radio -> "Rejoin" to your wingman

This should fix the problem.

I will try that, although I do not think he will be able to pass the two stuck Su-25. Shall I refrain from using the ATC?

Ah sorry, I did not understand you, I thought your wingman was blocking the Su-25s but actually it is the other way round! Sorry.

Very strange, never happened to me. I will try again the mission later and get back to you. ;)

I will try that, although I do not think he will be able to pass the two stuck Su-25. Shall I refrain from using the ATC?

I just checked the mission, it worked fine here.

What is confusing me is that those Su-25s are starting as soon as the mission starts, so, they should be already flying by the time you get to taxi.

Probably you are way faster than me with the Mig-21 cold starts. :)

But anyway, I could really not replicate the issue.

The only thing that comes to my mind is...are you taxiing to the correct runway? I think that the weather is inverting runways on this mission. You should take off from RWY 33 on this one.