The Interesting Missions Generator

This is amazing stuff!

It's great what some community members come up with, to make up for the shortcomings of our beloved sim!

Thanks Semolina!

Windows 10 - Intel i7 7700K 4.2 Ghz (no OC) - Asus Strix GTX 1080 8Gb - 16GB DDR4 (3000 MHz) - SSD 500GB + WD Black FZEX 1TB 6Gb/s

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the first channel works ok in the UHF radio? or should I remove it from the radio frequencies list?

Thanks for your help so far.

Remove it, it causes a mission loading failure if you try to use it with a UHF frequency.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.

Plato

Wow, this project sounds amazing! Thanks a lot for all the work you've put in! :thumbup:

I've yet to fly one of the missions. Just one idea that came to me right away, since you're a developer for web and mobile: Could your code run on a webserver so that you could have a mission generator online?

The next step might be to offer some flexibility, asking users to select their preferred level of difficulty, time of day and a few other aspects. And then every time the "Generate Mission" button gets clicked, a new random mission is generated. This way there would be practically limitless missions. :thumbup:

In any case, what you have so far sounds awesome, but since my favorite modules aren't included yet, I hope I'll be able to help with some of the templates as time permits. :)

I've attached an example mission showing what I need. It's really super simple.

[...]

- Let me know if the aircraft uses metric or imperial units, let me know if taking off ten minutes after the mission started is appropriate, if not how long you think it should be.

From your template, I created sample tracks for the following aircraft:

A-10C: Imperial. Cold-start to take-off should be more like 12 minutes because of INS alignment

L-39C: Metric. 10 minutes should be okay.

L-39ZA: Same as above

M-2000C: Imperial. I think alignment takes around 8 minutes, so 15 minutes should be adequate for start-up to take-off.

MiG-21bis: Metric. 10 minutes should be okay.

Except for the A-10C, I'm not really up-to-date with any of these modules, would be great if others could double-check these values for plausibility.

For cruise, I selected an altitude that seems appropriate and that can be reached without climbing for ages, and then set the throttle to roughly 90% without afterburner to get the cruise speed, so these should be okay.

For the western airframes, I switched country to US and coalition to blue; if you want airports to respond to ATC calls (also to rearming and refueling requests), you should take that into account for departure and destination airports. Otherwise just switch the aircraft back to red. ;)

a-10c.miz

l-39c.miz

l-39za.miz

m-2000c.miz

mig-21bis.miz

I've yet to fly one of the missions. Just one idea that came to me right away, since you're a developer for web and mobile: Could your code run on a webserver so that you could have a mission generator online?

Hi Yurgon, thank you so much for all the mission templates. I'm going to make a lot of progress over the next few days.

I am a mobile developer (iOS) but I am LEARNING web stuff. So it may be a little while before I get to do a website that makes them but I certainly agree that it would be better than the current system.

I man, so MANY things would be better than the current system.

Thank you again for all the templates.

Ok, I've updated the directory for the Hawk.

Here is an example:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2693052/Published%20Missions/Hawk/Annotated/Flight-0026%20D06%201900H%2015C%20CLD5-10%20AT3600%20WND10%20FRM140%20.miz

The rest are available from the link in the first post, under 'Published Missions/Hawk/Annotated'. There are 50 missions there.

If someone can check that some of those work ok I'll go ahead and make a full set of missions for the Hawk.

Firstly I would like to thank you for your "Interesting mission" series. I am not a sim fighter ace and interesting "civilian" flying in DCS is something, that I like the most. I have attached template file for C-101EB, that is very good for this type of flying. Thank you for your great work.

C-101 uses imperial units. I think, that 10 min. time to take-off will be sufficient.

C-101EB.miz

I am a mobile developer (iOS) but I am LEARNING web stuff. So it may be a little while before I get to do a website that makes them but I certainly agree that it would be better than the current system.

Hehe, okay. ;)

No prob with the templates, your instructions were very good, didn't take much time.

Do you think the current system would work for the helos as well, or would you prefer to modify the template first? Because I'd love to see this available for the helos as well and could provide the missions as well. :thumbup:

Ok, I've made some test missions for the Bf-109K-4.

Here is an example:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2693052/Published%20Missions/Bf-109K-4/Annotated/Flight-0027%20D06%200600H%2010C%20CLD5-10%20AT3600%20WND12%20FRM160%20.miz

The rest are available from the link in the first post, under 'Published Missions/Bf-109K-4/Annotated'. There are 50 missions there.

Can someone please check that they load ok and the radio frequencies make sense?

Once I know the missions work for you I'll do a full run of 500.

Do you think the current system would work for the helos as well, or would you prefer to modify the template first? Because I'd love to see this available for the helos as well and could provide the missions as well. :thumbup:

I think I will have to change things around for the helos. Not sure how yet though.

I have the Huey so I can sort things out with that one before asking for help with the Mi-8.

My plan is to do the two 'transport' helicopters first before doing the Gazelle and Ka-50.

For the western airframes, I switched country to US and coalition to blue; if you want airports to respond to ATC calls (also to rearming and refueling requests), you should take that into account for departure and destination airports. Otherwise just switch the aircraft back to red. ;)

In theory the generator should be taking care of the country+coalition. I'll make all Russian-made aircraft in the game Russian in the generator but I'm making the German aircraft belong to USA.

The fuel trucks at each airport belong to whichever country the player belongs to.

There was an issue last week where I stuffed up the Sabre and made it Russian but that should be fixed now!

Passing thought, if you are generating these off a template mission and remembering there is already something like DAWS save mission utility by Chromium here https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=149899 it seems to me that you have right there the basic requirements for a DCG (IL2 dynamic campaign generator by Lowengrin) style DCS dynamic campaign generator. Obviously would still need further work but the concept seems workable re:

(1) template mission is starting point for campaign.

(2) your mission generator looks at it and generates a mission which is flown

(3) At the end of the mission DAWS save mission used to create a new template mission showing updated compositions and locations which is then feed into your mission generator to create the next mission.

(4) rinse and repeat until victory conditions met

[...] it seems to me that you have right there the basic requirements for a DCG (IL2 dynamic campaign generator by Lowengrin) style DCS dynamic campaign generator.

Never say never. :D

But that idea sounds a lot like what MBot tries to create: Dynamic Campaign Engine. Obviously, a dynamic campaign requires a tad more than "just" a template. ;)

(Then again, one of today's most used server and mobile operating systems came to life because a student "just" wanted to learn more about the capabilities of his brand new 80386 processor :thumbup:)

Don't know - you must already be looking for destination airports that meet a certain set of criteria I assume to avoid situations where you take off and land again because the destination is so close. So definitely while you are right in that there would be a lot of work involved I believe you really do have the seed for it there. DCG is all about ground units moving from a start point to a victory location. His design had intermediate locations in between the two and in one mission the ground units would follow a predefined path (built by plotting a ground unit path in a template mission) from start to next intermediate location (you would probably use trigger zones for locations and rely on the campaign designer to make it sensible distances apart as per DCG) and in the next mission then to next intermediate location etc until they got the victory location. If they met enemy ground units then they fought it out. If they died then replacements would be generated eventually at the start point. Strike aircraft missions would be generated to support the ground unit movements (basically attacking the most forward enemy unit on the same path as a friendly unit - ie clearing the way) and then intercepts would be generated in response to the strike aircraft missions. Depending on plane type human pilots would be tasked to one of the strike or intercepts. If your home airfield got overrun then you would get a transfer flight to another airfield further to the rear. If you get too far from the front then you get a transfer to a captured base. You could have multiple start points and multiple paths to the victory location all defined by a template groups path. The starting ground groups and air groups etc are placed in friendly territory and go from there. That is the basics anyway. He added ships and supply and other things over a number of years of development (he's still going actually). Even the basics described above would be an amazing step up for DCS.

Edited by Stonehouse

There are lots of sim-pilots out there who I'm sure would love flying in DCS if they ever gave it a chance. But they won't try it, because they don't want combat. These potential customers like high fidelity simulations of complex aircraft, they like high performance flying machines, they like immersive cockpits... but they simply don't want to have to deal with getting shot at. I can't say I blame them.

This missions generator sounds like a very good way to sell them on DCS!

• Like 1