The Interesting Missions Generator

Hi everyone, today I've added missions for the MiG-15!

I've also added Mozdok and Mineralnye-Vody to the list of flyable airports for both aircraft and tweaked failure times and average flight distances.

There is also now a dedicated kneeboard page just for the radio information. Which means that longer flight plans don't get shrunk when displayed on the kneeboard.

All flights have been re-genearated, so all the Sabre ones are new too.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hej Emolina...

This is one of the nest public file addisions ever....

But to make it truley great, there should be just one mission, and it would then generate the mission for you.

Intel Core i7-6700K Cpu 4.00 GHz OC 4.8 GHz Water Cooled|32 GB DDR4 ram OC| Nvidia RTX 2080Ti| TrustMaster Warthog|Saitek Battle Pro Pedals | Logitec G13| Oculus Rift S :joystick:

I´m in for a ride, a VR ride:pilotfly:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBX_-Hml7_7s1dggit_vGpA?view_as=public

Hi everyone! today I added the Dora to the system!

Flying cross-country in this plane is just wonderful. A real delight.

I have a lot of notes on it below but first I also wanted to add that I've fixed the issue with the Sabre communications being in Russian. Sorry about that. I changed the refuelling trucks to Russian when I put in the MiG-15 and then forgot about it. From now on the trucks will be whatever nationality the player is.

Ok, Dora notes follow.

'Interesting Missions' FW-190D9 implementation details

The Dora poses some very specific problems for the 'Interesting Missions' generator.

The generator is mostly about cross-country flying in challenging conditions. However, the equipment available to the Dora pilot in DCS can make this very challenging.

For starters the FuG-16ZY radio only has four channels available, and they are used for both communications and direction finding.

Most of the flights the generator makes have three or four waypoints so that doesn't seem so bad.

However! of the four channels available in the Dora, the first is not used, so that leaves three.

The second is always set to your flight frequency (you want to talk to them right?), so that leaves two.

You need to speak to the departure airfield, so we'll use the third channel for that.

You need to speak to your destination airfield, so we have to use the fourth channel for THAT.

That leaves no channels at all left for way point radio navigation.

Not that it matters because the homing device on the Dora only works when the channel you are tuned to is transmitting, so they have to be airbase frequencies.

Carrying out the plan

In the Dora you'll need to use some honest-to-goodness dead reckoning navigation.

Thankfully your flight plan is accurate, you can get your TAS (well, ground speed, which is what the flight plan uses) from your radio menu and the Dora has a stop watch.

So if you stick to the speed on the flight plan, the timings will be accurate. If you use the stopwatch to time your flight legs you should get fairly close to your destination.

I haven't taken wind into account so far. Most of these flights are short (mission start to landing should take 40 minutes on average) so you can guesstimate a wind correction if you want to get more accurate.

In the 'Interesting Missions' generator wind gets stronger and more easterly with altitude.

The flight time is calculated to be the transit time if you follow the waypoints exactly, PLUS ten minutes. So a typical flight profile would look like this:

• Spend ten minutes getting the aircraft ready, tested, and at the threshold.

• Five minutes in-flight getting some altitude and getting the speed up to cruising speed.

• Follow the flight plan speeds to get to the destination, typically around 20 minutes.

• Five minutes getting the aircraft slowed down, configured for landing, and on the runway.

On the final leg you should get the tower talking to you so you can home in on their signal.

Dora failures

The Dora model is really detailed, thanks ED! I am going to try and make as many of you break planes as I possibly can, while remaining fair.

What do I mean by fair? In the higher difficulties, if you treat your airplane like a collection of airplane bits flying in loose formation you'll be fine. If you assume everything works, you won't be.

My favourite failure so far is to fail a flap during flight, not both! just one.

He finally stops talking

Sorry! there was a lot to say. The Dora is a LOT of fun, enjoy the flights!

Please let me know what you think, I like feedback of all kinds. If you don't want to be negative in public feel free to PM me.

Hi everyone! today I added the Dora to the system!

Flying cross-country in this plane is just wonderful. A real delight.

I have a lot of notes on it below but first I also wanted to add that I've fixed the issue with the Sabre communications being in Russian. Sorry about that. I changed the refuelling trucks to Russian when I put in the MiG-15 and then forgot about it. From now on the trucks will be whatever nationality the player is.

Ok, Dora notes follow.

'Interesting Missions' FW-190D9 implementation details

The Dora poses some very specific problems for the 'Interesting Missions' generator.

The generator is mostly about cross-country flying in challenging conditions. However, the equipment available to the Dora pilot in DCS can make this very challenging.

For starters the FuG-16ZY radio only has four channels available, and they are used for both communications and direction finding.

Most of the flights the generator makes have three or four waypoints so that doesn't seem so bad.

However! of the four channels available in the Dora, the first is not used, so that leaves three.

The second is always set to your flight frequency (you want to talk to them right?), so that leaves two.

You need to speak to the departure airfield, so we'll use the third channel for that.

You need to speak to your destination airfield, so we have to use the fourth channel for THAT.

That leaves no channels at all left for way point radio navigation.

Not that it matters because the homing device on the Dora only works when the channel you are tuned to is transmitting, so they have to be airbase frequencies.

Carrying out the plan

In the Dora you'll need to use some honest-to-goodness dead reckoning navigation.

Thankfully your flight plan is accurate, you can get your TAS (well, ground speed, which is what the flight plan uses) from your radio menu and the Dora has a stop watch.

So if you stick to the speed on the flight plan, the timings will be accurate. If you use the stopwatch to time your flight legs you should get fairly close to your destination.

I haven't taken wind into account so far. Most of these flights are short (mission start to landing should take 40 minutes on average) so you can guesstimate a wind correction if you want to get more accurate.

In the 'Interesting Missions' generator wind gets stronger and more easterly with altitude.

The flight time is calculated to be the transit time if you follow the waypoints exactly, PLUS ten minutes. So a typical flight profile would look like this:

• Spend ten minutes getting the aircraft ready, tested, and at the threshold.

• Five minutes in-flight getting some altitude and getting the speed up to cruising speed.

• Follow the flight plan speeds to get to the destination, typically around 20 minutes.

• Five minutes getting the aircraft slowed down, configured for landing, and on the runway.

On the final leg you should get the tower talking to you so you can home in on their signal.

Dora failures

The Dora model is really detailed, thanks ED! I am going to try and make as many of you break planes as I possibly can, while remaining fair.

What do I mean by fair? In the higher difficulties, if you treat your airplane like a collection of airplane bits flying in loose formation you'll be fine. If you assume everything works, you won't be.

My favourite failure so far is to fail a flap during flight, not both! just one.

He finally stops talking

Sorry! there was a lot to say. The Dora is a LOT of fun, enjoy the flights!

Please let me know what you think, I like feedback of all kinds. If you don't want to be negative in public feel free to PM me.

Trainers, L39 or C101 would be great additions!

Matador, I think so too but I don't have either one of those modules and would need some external help. It wouldn't be much, just a mission file with a very simple flight path set up. The flight path needs to have the waypoints named in a particular way.

From the mission I can also get the available failures for the module but I won't be able to test them so I would need a little bit of beta testing help there.

Let me know if you are interested and we can get started.

Matador, I think so too but I don't have either one of those modules and would need some external help. It wouldn't be much, just a mission file with a very simple flight path set up. The flight path needs to have the waypoints named in a particular way.

From the mission I can also get the available failures for the module but I won't be able to test them so I would need a little bit of beta testing help there.

Let me know if you are interested and we can get started.

I have not too much time, but we can do it with no pressure. I can always get some time!

Ok, I'll open this up to anyone ,now that I've started thinking about it I would love to get the rest of the fixed wing aircraft in DCS (the modules, not FC3) into the generator.

I've attached an example mission showing what I need. It's really super simple.

It's a mission set in the Balkans, it has only one flight.

That flight has two aircraft, this is the MiG-15 version, so the aircraft are MiG-15s.

The first aircraft in the flight is called 'mig_15_empty_player_template', the skill level has to be set to 'Player', that's what I can't do without owning the module.

The second aircraft in the flight is called 'mig_15_empty_ai_template', the skill level has to be set to 'High'.

You set up the template names in the 'Pilot' field in the mission editor.

The flight simply takes off, flies to cruise altitude at cruising speed, then lands at cruising speed.

The take-off point isn't important, just as long as it's there, the second waypoint, should be called 'mig_15_cruise_template', the landing waypoint should be called 'mig_15_landing_template'.

And that's it. The generator finds the template, extracts the templates for the planes and the waypoints and then applies them to the flights it's generating.

So I would really appreciate it if I could have your help getting your favourite (or not!) aircraft into the mission generator.

I'll list the steps you would have to do below, let's pretend you're going to add the F-5E.

- Download the mig sample missions

- Rename it to f-5e.miz

- Open it up in the mission editor.

- Change the aircraft in the flight to be F-5Es.

- Change the name of the first pilot to 'f-5e_empty_player_template'

- Change the name of the second pilot to 'f-5e_empty_ai_template'

- Change the name of the second waypoint to 'f-5e_cruise_template'

- Change the name of the third (landing) waypoint to 'f-5e_landing_template'

- Change the speed and altitude of the second waypoint to be the right cruising speed and altitude for the F-5E.

- Change the speed of the third waypoint (landing) to be the right cruising speed for the F-5E.

- Save the mission.

- Attach it to a post in this thread.

- Let me know if the aircraft uses metric or imperial units, let me know if taking off ten minutes after the mission started is appropriate, if not how long you think it should be.

Lots of steps but they are easy!

Then I'll download the mission and set up the generator to make missions for the aircraft you've selected.

Thank you all for any help you can provide.

mig_15.miz

Edited by emolina

Ok, I've added a preliminary directory for the Hawk.

Here is an example:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2693052/Published%20Missions/Hawk/Annotated/Flight-0031%20D07%200500H%2025C%20CLD7-10%20AT2600%20WND10%20FRM140%20.miz

The rest are available from the link in the first post, under 'Published Missions/Hawk/Annotated'. There are 50 missions there.

I haven't done a 'full' run of making 500 missions because there are still some things I need to clarify.

I would love any answers that Hawk owners can provide.

First, can anyone confirm that the Hawk doesn't have failures available from the mission editor?

Second. There seems to be a discrepancy between the manual and what's in the sim with regards to the radio.

The manual says there are 20 UHF channels that can be pre-set, the mission file only has 18 slots for pre-set channels and the first one seems to be VHF.

So I would really appreciate it if someone could check the data that I've listed in the radio page of the kneeboard and tell me how it's wrong. It WILL be wrong somehow, I don't know how though, I can't see it in the simulator.

If I can get those two questions answered I'll go ahead and to a full run of missions for the Hawk. Thanks for your help!

hey emolina ... great thing youre doing there ... can it made to create MP missions as well ?

I personally see "flying alone" kinda "boring"

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There are two types of fighter pilots - those who have, and those who will execute a magnificent break turn towards a bug on the canopy . . . .

http://www.youtube.com/user/schnarrsonvomdach

http://www.twitch.tv/schnarre

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Schnarre-Schnarrson/876084505743788?fref=ts

Ok, I've added a preliminary directory for the Hawk.

I would love any answers that Hawk owners can provide.

First, can anyone confirm that the Hawk doesn't have failures available from the mission editor?

Second. There seems to be a discrepancy between the manual and what's in the sim with regards to the radio.

The manual says there are 20 UHF channels that can be pre-set, the mission file only has 18 slots for pre-set channels and the first one seems to be VHF.

No failures in mission editor - WIP

Yes there is only 18 channels in the pre-set list, and although the first one is listed under UHF your right it appears to be VHF

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.

Plato

First off, what an amazing idea emolina. I'm a GA pilot too and this is absolutely what I've been looking for in any flight simulator for years, and I joined these forums just to say that.

I'm currently away with work right now but really can't wait to get home and try this out.

Secondly I second Schnarre. While I wouldn't go as far to call solo flying boring, the only thing I can think off to make this better is flying an "Interesting Flight" with my DCS buddy. A two or three ship of us, all having potential failures, bad weather etc that we deal with together would be an amazing experience.

Thanks again for all your amazing work.

Edd

;2895508']hey emolina ... great thing youre doing there ... can it made to create MP missions as well ?

Secondly I second Schnarre. While I wouldn't go as far to call solo flying boring, the only thing I can think off to make this better is flying an "Interesting Flight" with my DCS buddy. A two or three ship of us, all having potential failures, bad weather etc that we deal with together would be an amazing experience.

First of all, thanks for your kind words everyone! I really appreciate it.

Second. I'm always thinking of multiplayer when coding but at the moment there are two big limitations, or at least I think there are, let me know if I'm wrong:

- There are no failures in multiplayer for clients, only the host.

- I don't think the mission kneeboard images are shared in multiplayer are they?

• Like 1

Hi emolina,

Here's the .miz for the 109. I followed your walk-through, hopefully without making any mistakes... If you have any questions or need me to change anything, let me know!

- Let me know if the aircraft uses metric or imperial units, let me know if taking off ten minutes after the mission started is appropriate, if not how long you think it should be.

-> Metric units.

-> 10 minutes sounds good to me.

Thanks again for all your work on this!

Edit: updated file.

Bf-109K-4.miz

Edited by uke