For those running GTX1080TI's and RTX2080's, a question about performance.

Hi team,

I had a quick question for our fellow GTX 1080TI and RTX2080 owners.

I'm currently running an i7 8700, 16gigs of ram and an RTX2080 at 2560x1080 resolution.

I thought for sure this would eat DCS for breakfast but I'm finding I'm dropping as low as 45FPS with everything maxed out on the ground in the Hornet "Ready on the ramp" or "Cold and Dark" instant action mission for NTTR. (4x MSAA). In the air, and flying low even over the strip, I'm easily holding 60FPS, this seems to just be on the ground specifically when there are a lot of other aircraft around like the instant action mission referenced above.

I'm not unhappy with this performance by any means, but I'm curious if my experience mirrors others or if maybe something in my hardware is faulty.

Is this just the nature of the beast? Do those of you with 1080ti's or RTX2080's have to make some sacrifices to hold 60FPS on the ground in busy scenes with high-end GPU's at 1080p or slightly above?

If those reading this would be kind enough, I'd love to hear especially about what Shadow settings everyone with similar hardware setups use.

Thank you very much,

Gimbs

Hi Gimbal,

Checkout this thread that was just started yesterday about optimization.

I posted my settings there and have my PC forced to 60 fps to smooth things out, game play and track ir. I show a pic of the F/A-18 Interdiction Mission that I can hold the 60 fps and my system is not at 100%.

ED is working on a lot more things like vulkan api to make very larger missions playable.

Don't know why people are so obsess with this, stop looking at the FPS and enjoy the game.

Marc..

While this is true, I do like to see if my system is max preforming for where DCS is "at the moment". I use msi afterburner now and then so I can see any bottlenecks.

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Hi Gimbal,

I posted my settings there and have my PC forced to 60 fps to smooth things out, game play and track ir. I show a pic of the F/A-18 Interdiction Mission that I can hold the 60 fps and my system is not at 100%.

ED is working on a lot more things like vulkan api to make very larger missions playable.

While this is true, I do like to see if my system is max preforming for where DCS is "at the moment". I use msi afterburner now and then so I can see any bottlenecks.

Your eyes are the best judge, I stopped checking FPS in the Falcon 4 days , waste of time and money. Do you think you could tell the difference between 40 60 FPS, No

Marc..

Edited by Marcq

Your eyes are the best judge, I stopped checking FPS in the Falcon 4 days , waste of time and money

Marc..

I spent good money putting a high end very configurable system together. If I push it to a good level, I'm able to lift the eye candy to a higher level and still have awesome FPS in single play and MP.

Many here have spent good money on their PC parts for DCS and other sims/games, you may as well get the full DCS eye candy glory you can, it is the best looking sim available I believe, so I want as much eye candy as I can get.:D

The problem is DCS is also the most demanding sim at the moment, perhaps vulkan api will help in this regard we hope.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Hi team,

I'm currently running an i7 8700, 16gigs of ram and an RTX2080 at 2560x1080 resolution.

I thought for sure this would eat DCS for breakfast but I'm finding I'm dropping as low as 45FPS with everything maxed out on the ground in the Hornet "Ready on the ramp" or "Cold and Dark" instant action mission for NTTR. (4x MSAA). In the air, and flying low even over the strip, I'm easily holding 60FPS, this seems to just be on the ground specifically when there are a lot of other aircraft around like the instant action mission referenced above.

I'm not unhappy with this performance by any means, but I'm curious if my experience mirrors others or if maybe something in my hardware is faulty.

Is this just the nature of the beast? Do those of you with 1080ti's or RTX2080's have to make some sacrifices to hold 60FPS on the ground in busy scenes with high-end GPU's at 1080p or slightly above?

If those reading this would be kind enough, I'd love to hear especially about what Shadow settings everyone with similar hardware setups use.

Thank you very much,

Gimbs

Post a screenshot of your in-game settings?

Also make sure dcs.exe has a profile in NV control panel and that "Power management" for dcs.exe in nv control panel is set to "Prefer maximum performance"

nvpanldcs.JPG.eb6a01e667d653a59d1d6d424f5c713d.JPG

Maybe try SSAA 1.5 instead of msaa.. or ssaa 1.5 + msaa 2x, or just msaa 2x Make sure Civ traffic is off as well.

The resolution increase from supersampling might put more load on the GPU as you could well be CPU bottlenecked at 2560x1080. 8700K's @ 5.0ghz have been running into cpu limitations some dx11 titles using a 1080Ti or faster up to 2560x1440. Supersampling might not actually give an increased framerate, but it's worth checking how she runs with more load on the GPU. MSAA hits the framerates hard in 2.5.

It is a fact that the closer to the ground you are the more time you will spend at your minimum framerates but, I would think you could achieve higher than 45 on the ground. But if it's a cpu limitation you're kind of stuck with it at your resolution with a non K processor, unless you find better performance using SSAA. Kind of a coin toss.

With DX11 titles that largely depend on single threaded performance, if any one core on your cpu is reaching 99% usage during gameplay your GPU will likely be held back. The lower the resolution and the more powerful the gpu the more likely you are to run into CPU limitations, at which point increases in CPU clock frequency will become the only way to get performance gains. Increases in resolution can put the card to work, which could result in higher performance/image quality ratio, but that isn't guaranteed.

I personally run without shadows, but not for performance reasons.

Your eyes are the best judge, I stopped checking FPS in the Falcon 4 days , waste of time and money. Do you think you could tell the difference between 40 60 FPS, No

Marc..

Your post isn't really helping this guy with his question, and your experiences might not always equal other peoples experiences, especially looking at the differences in hardware between you and him. Personally, ime I got equal or better performance to what he's reporting with a 980Ti on a 3440x1440 monitor, and the guy deserves to get the most out of his rig.

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

The big bottleneck for DCS is the CPU first, and RAM second. I have a GTX 1070 that's not really being taxed at all, but my CPU is just not fast enough even overclocked.

Same here.

My biggest gain in performance 2D or VR was installing SSD for DCS. Running out of room though. Will need bigger.

Night Ops in the Harrier

IYAOYAS

Hi Gimbal,

David, thank you for the link. I've checked the post out and will continue to follow it going forward to see what I can learn and what additional information I can come up with.

I'd like to respond to more than one person but I have not figured out how to multi-quote so please bare with me.

I'd like to expand on and include some new details that can hopefully shed more light on what I'm seeing. Currently, my FPS is locked to the refresh-rate of my monitor (60hz), I understand this can at times cause FPS drops and performance issues, so I've tested all scenarios with both Vsync on and off to rule out any of those issues.

As of now, I'm not even 100% sure I'm seeing performance that I'm not suppose to be seeing, but I'd like to make sure.

Flying over the strip on NTTR, the Hornet Interdiction mission, etc, all hold a nearly rock solid 60FPS using the settings I've posted below.

The only time I'm seeing FPS drops are usually on the ramp, especially during the Hornet "Cold and Dark" and "Ready on the Ramp" instant action scenarios. Looking over my left wing during the start of "Ready on the Ramp" will absolutely tank my FPS. The ONLY thing that brings performance up to 60FPS during those above listed instant actions while on the ground is turning Shadows down.

It's actually pretty confusing. Low and slow with the Harrier,Hornet or Viggen on any of the maps? 70-90 FPS uncapped with the settings below. Hornet on the ramp during certain conditions? 45 FPS. Again, while this does not make me necessarily unhappy, I just wanted to see if it can be reproduced or if there is indeed an issue in my hardware configuration someplace.

I've also made sure all applicable power>performance settings, be it in Windows or my GPU control panel are set to favor performance.

I've attached three photos below that should help show the issue. Two of the photos are the Hornet over Nevada with everything maxed at 80+ FPS (No Vsync or cap) The other photo is with the same settings, on the same map, looking over my left wing the FPS drops an absurd amount down to 31.

I feel like I should not be dropping so low in such a non-demanding setting, yet DCS performs like butter in more graphically demanding situations. So far, shadows are the only thing that's alleviating the issues on the ramp for me. (Nothing drops as low as 31 FPS except for the Hornet mission, with the rest dropping to maybe 45 at times on the ramp).

Thank you so much for your time and helping me out, it's so very much appreciated.

The FPS can be seen in the left corner, it looks like DCS compresses the pictures so here is a HQ link if needed. https://imgur.com/a/NXUIfhT

Untitled.thumb.png.a05b3420160eb68b286f8f1911059942.png

FPS1.thumb.jpg.f7734e922f404aefe60c8f6cc62fa034.jpg

FPS2.thumb.jpg.c8b8aed26367e376eb191a0ecd5c7ad7.jpg

FPS3.thumb.jpg.e16882b13130e9447da41a95f5431fae.jpg

Edited by Gimbal
Added HQ link.

I feel like I should not be dropping so low in such a non-demanding setting, yet DCS performs like butter in more graphically demanding situations. So far, shadows are the only thing that's alleviating the issues on the ramp for me. (Nothing drops as low as 31 FPS except for the Hornet mission, with the rest dropping to maybe 45 at times on the ramp).

That's just a DCS thingy....

Much work is being done behind the scenes to make the engine run smoother, like the Vulkan API etc.

Some aircraft do change the FPS in some situations, even on the ground.

EDIT: Give SSAA x1.5 a go and turn MSAA (OFF or try x2), also add NVIDIA control (2x supersample) to help if using no MSAA.

This may change for me later if things change.... it's how I roll for now..... :)

This is what I'm seeing

attachment.php?attachmentid=199525&stc=1&d=1544333023

Same settings as here, traffic to low tho.

Vegas at 750kts (Frames locked to 60) GPU still only at 88%

attachment.php?attachmentid=199526&stc=1&d=1544333023

DCS_2018_12_09_15_07_12_925.thumb.jpg.42d5ea2088ca415b8506f0246e8dfc25.jpg

DCS_2018_12_09_15_09_48_263.thumb.jpg.e004a808807ec1558cacceaa8f267395.jpg

Edited by David OC

That's just a DCS thingy....

Much work is being done behind the scenes to make the engine run smoother, like the Vulkan API etc.

Some aircraft do change the FPS in some situations, even on the ground.

EDIT: Give SSAA x1.5 a go and turn MSAA (OFF or try x2), also add NVIDIA control (2x supersample) to help if using no MSAA.

This may change for me later if things change.... it's how I roll for now..... :)

This is what I'm seeing

attachment.php?attachmentid=199525&stc=1&d=1544333023

Same settings as here, traffic to low tho.

Vegas at 750kts (Frames locked to 60) GPU still only at 88%

attachment.php?attachmentid=199526&stc=1&d=1544333023

Thank you so very much for taking the time to test that for me, I'm glad it's just the nature of the beast and not a hardware issue on my end.

You stated you're running supersample via Nvida control panel, did you mean the DSR feature? Are you enabling 2.0x DSR and then selecting the higher resolution in DCS? If so, what % smoothness are you using?

Thanks a ton.

Edit: I noticed on your settings you're running AF at 8x. AF is incredibly cheap and the texture filtering 16x provides adds a decent amount of quality. Although you might already he forcing this through the GPU control panel, if not, you can safely bring this up to 16x with most likely not hit on performance at all. :)

In regards to civ traffic, what negatives effect are you noticing with it turned on? In my testing it didn't produce much of a performance impact although this was testing on some small missions. You've done far more testing and optimisation than I have so far it seems, so I'm curious on your findings with civ traffic.

Edited by Gimbal

Hi team,

Thank you very much,

Gimbs

Try edit those missions and remove other Hornets except yours. I noticed that Hornet 3D model is an FPS eater, something's wrong with it.

Thank you so very much for taking the time to test that for me, I'm glad it's just the nature of the beast and not a hardware issue on my end.

You stated you're running supersample via Nvida control panel, did you mean the DSR feature? Are you enabling 2.0x DSR and then selecting the higher resolution in DCS? If so, what % smoothness are you using?

Thanks a ton.

Edit: I noticed on your settings you're running AF at 8x. AF is incredibly cheap and the texture filtering 16x provides adds a decent amount of quality. Although you might already he forcing this through the GPU control panel, if not, you can safely bring this up to 16x with most likely not hit on performance at all. :)

In regards to civ traffic, what negatives effect are you noticing with it turned on? In my testing it didn't produce of a performance impact although this was testing on some small missions. Does it have s big impact during more complex missions?

Civ traffic has been known to be a bit of a resource hog, at least back in 1.5 it would wreck havoc on otherwise smooth gameplay. For me personally, it's just a habit to leave it off at this point for both performance, and because seeing heavy civ traffic in the middle of a warzone doesn't make a lot of sense to me. The effects of which might be more noticeable on other maps, NTTR is generally the best performing map.

Thing to keep in mind here is that David's running 2560x1440, and if I'm not mistaken he's also running SSAA 1.5 which brings him up to a 4k resolution. (2560*1.5)*(1440*1.5)= 3840x2160

There's almost a million pixels difference between 2560x1440 and 2560x1080. With SSAA 1.5 on his screen there's 4.6 million more pixels than 2560x1440. for a total of 8,294,400..

If you were to use his exact settings outside of SSAA and weren't limited at the CPU, the expectation would be higher FPS.

IMO don't mix DSR and the in-game SSAA, and as far as I know the Anti-Aliasing Transparency supersampling settings have no effect in DCS. You could use DSR in place of SSAA for a resolution bump, SSAA setting in-game is just less complicated for pretty much the same result.

SSAA 1.5 + in game + 2.0 supersampling if it worked from NV contorl panel would be a resolution of 6960x3240 which equals about 22.5million pixels and surely could bring even a 2080Ti to it's knees.

4k = 8,294,400 pixels for reference there. 2560x1080= 2,764,800. When you start counting pixels, at least for me it is a little easier to understand the effects of resolution on performance.

My best guess is still CPU bottleneck with your monitor's native res. SSAA 1.5 would = 3840x1620 resolution with your monitor which imo SHOULD get the GPU doing the brunt of the work, and still keep you comparable in performance with David OC. I think you'd probably see similar fps on the ground even, only with better picture quality.

Cards like the 1080Ti or equivilant/more powerful are intended for high resolution gameplay. My 2080Ti is right on the edge of being too powerful for my 3440x1440 monitor in DCS and SOME DX11 titles. But pretty much right at the sweet spot.

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

Gimbal, the issue in the missions you talk about is the usage of static hornet Lot20.

When a static Lot20 is rendered in your field of view your GPU usage and FPS are roughly cut in half.

When a hornet Lot20 is used as AI wingman there is no issue. Only when used as static unit.

By the way it's actually considered as not a hornet issue so I'm not sure it's reported :

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=210086&highlight=static+hornet+issue

Anisotropic has like 0 impact on fps with modern GPU's iirc. I would put that to 16x.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X