Notices

Old 07-29-2020, 04:09 PM   #1
derammo

Post Helios 1.6 - Official Thread

Hi Community!

Following up on BlueFinBima's very successful Helios 1.4 releases,
we are happy to annouce Helios 1.6, a significant step forward for
Helios. BlueFinBima, myself, and the team have moved to a new
github home at https://github.com/HeliosVirtualCockpit/Helios.

Our main home on discord is still Capt Zeen's Discord at https://discord.gg/KHmkTXe.

This new version of Helios aims to make Helios much more usable,
especially for new users of Helios who just want painless installation
of available profiles. As such, a lot of features allow profiles to
carry more information and do more tasks for you, replacing many
manual installation steps of copying files and writing configuration
with point and click interfaces.

The current release of Helios 1.6 is always available at
https://github.com/HeliosVirtualCock...eleases/latest.

It replaces Helios 1.4, and so there will not be any more releases of 1.4.
To this end, we will prioritize any bugs reported that result from upgrading
of unusual profiles or situations. If you do find any bugs, please file
an issue at https://github.com/HeliosVirtualCock...ios/issues/new and
it will be worked on right away.

The full release notes are extensive and are found at
https://github.com/HeliosVirtualCock...hanges-from-14.

Highlights include:

* New Feature: Interface Status
* New Feature: Control Center Console
* New Feature: Preflight Check
* New Feature: Multiple DCS Locations to Update
* New Feature: DCS Interface support for Capt Zeen export modules
* New Feature: DCS Monitor Setup
* New Feature: DCS Additional Viewports
* New Feature: Helios Plugins
* Falcon BMS Support Features and Fixes
* Control Center UI Changes
* Profile Editor UI Changes
* Version Check re-engineered
* New Interface: Control Router
* Changed Control: all Rotary Controls
* Changed Control: all Image Controls
* Changed Control: Text Display
* Changed Control: Potentiometer T+R
* Logging and Status Reporting Changes
* DCS Export.lua Changes
* Installer Changes
* New System Requirements
* Many bug fixes

Demo Video for new features, including links to detailed videos

Download "Helios Installers" from here

Look for new Helios 1.6-ready profiles from Capt Zeen!

Cautions / Known Problems

* Don't install this release if you are on the Steam version of DCS. It will not operate correctly because Steam versions don't have the files we rely on to know what version of DCS is installed. A fix is in the works but unavailable right now. There is a workaround if you are willing to hack up a fake autoupdate.cfg file.
https://github.com/HeliosVirtualCock...ios/issues/295

* If you have an anti virus that does so called "ransomware protection" it may disallow writing to Documents\Helios where we store all our stuff. So you will have to give permission to Control Center and Profile Editor to write to this folder. How you do that depends on the exact anti virus. I am collecting information about the various ones right now. If you have helpful details, let me know. One thing to keep in mind: the install location of Helios 1.6 is different from Helios 1.4 so any permissions you may have given to Helios 1.4 do not apply. You have to give permission again to Profile Editor and Control Center in their new locations.

I will update this list as we find and eliminate problems over the next few days.

Last edited by derammo; 08-02-2020 at 10:30 PM.
derammo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 04:47 PM   #2
Capt Zeen
Beta Tester

Hello everyone!
To celebrate the release of the new Helios 1.6, I ported the twelve most used profiles, and are ready to download on my site www.captzeen.com

Some of them got new features, so chek it out!

Capt Zeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 05:53 PM   #3
sobe

Great news, but of course I have a question. How can I keep 1.4 while starting to use 1.6?
Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel(R) Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .
sobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 06:21 PM   #4
derammo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobe View Post
Great news, but of course I have a question. How can I keep 1.4 while starting to use 1.6?
1.6 is an upgrade against 1.4. So it is not a separate product. In other words, it is also the next version of 1.4, so installing it at the same time is not supported.
Old 07-29-2020, 07:59 PM   #5
PSYKOnz

Will 1.4 profiles work with 1.6?
Old 07-29-2020, 10:45 PM   #6
derammo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSYKOnz View Post
Will 1.4 profiles work with 1.6?
If you mean Capt Zeen profiles, then I recommend upgrading to his 1.6 profiles. They add new features and fix lots of bugs.

If you mean your own 1.4 Profiles, then yes they will work. However, 1.6 will tell you to configure what export scripts to use, so it can inter-operate with other profiles and so it can make sure everything is installed correctly. This video demonstrates how to do that: https://youtu.be/ihi49-qHFvk

If you have a completely custom export.lua, then you need to tell 1.6 not to generate export.lua at all and just use the one you have.

Sorry for the tiered answer, but there are several cases.

Last edited by derammo; 07-29-2020 at 10:48 PM.
Old 07-30-2020, 12:41 AM   #7
PSYKOnz

Quote:
Originally Posted by derammo View Post
If you mean Capt Zeen profiles, then I recommend upgrading to his 1.6 profiles. They add new features and fix lots of bugs.

If you mean your own 1.4 Profiles, then yes they will work. However, 1.6 will tell you to configure what export scripts to use, so it can inter-operate with other profiles and so it can make sure everything is installed correctly. This video demonstrates how to do that: https://youtu.be/ihi49-qHFvk

If you have a completely custom export.lua, then you need to tell 1.6 not to generate export.lua at all and just use the one you have.

Sorry for the tiered answer, but there are several cases.
Ok cool, the profiles I have are modified capt zeen one’s, mostly cropped and resized from his ones to better fit with my cockpit set up.

I have no custom .lua’s or anything just his profiles with the images cropped and resized, everything else in Helios 1.4 is completely stock.

If I understand what your saying that should mean I can just upgrade to 1.6 and keep using is as Is until I can modify his new profiles, is that correct?
Old 07-30-2020, 01:30 AM   #8
derammo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSYKOnz View Post
Ok cool, the profiles I have are modified capt zeen one’s, mostly cropped and resized from his ones to better fit with my cockpit set up.

I have no custom .lua’s or anything just his profiles with the images cropped and resized, everything else in Helios 1.4 is completely stock.

If I understand what your saying that should mean I can just upgrade to 1.6 and keep using is as Is until I can modify his new profiles, is that correct?
Yes, with a tiny amount of work. You would need to at least configure the exports in Helios Profile Editor. The video I linked in my previous post shows this step. https://youtu.be/ihi49-qHFvk

This is required because 1.6 actually takes control of the export scripts again, since it is now compatible with Capt Zeen modules. So you would reuse the exact module file you were using, but let Helios take over the main export scripts.

Alternatively, you can configure Helios 1.6 to not write the Export.lua file at all (in "DCS Export.Lua Output (Advanced)" settings section for the DCS interface.) I don't recommend that, because then you are running the old export scripts and not getting any of the new features. But of course if you really want to do that, that's fine too

----------------------------------
Einigkeit und Recht und Hornet

Last edited by derammo; 07-30-2020 at 01:32 AM.
Old 07-30-2020, 10:45 AM   #9
Fakum

Just a simple thank you for all your work guys,, greatly appreciated!
Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / GIGABYTE 3866MHz GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 MOBO / Intel i7-6700K 4.0GHz Processor (OC to 4.Eight) / G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB DDR4 3200 Ram / Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SATA III SSD / EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid/ Onboard Audio card / Creative Inspire 5.1 Surround Speakers /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ulrawide HD Monitor / Track IR4 / Saitek Pro Flight Combat Pedals / Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS (Modded)
Fakum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 02:42 PM   #10
Rickety

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fakum View Post
Just a simple thank you for all your work guys,, greatly appreciated!
+1.
Rickety is offline   Reply With Quote