[CHECKING] Propeller is unrealistic and bent prop discussion - Page 7 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 07-30-2020, 08:06 PM   #61
pmiceli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fri13 View Post
You just made a claim that you know what I can see, and what I can't see....
Please provide evidence....

I have provided evidence (Andrews & Purves, 2005;Purves, Paydarfar, & Andrews, 1996;Van Rullen, Reddy, & Koch, 2005;Van Rullen, Zoefel, & Ilhan, 2014) that people can see it as it has been scientifically researched.
Now, please provide evidence that it is impossible by anyone.
The majority of humans do not see prop flicker. A few do but that is no reason to force it on everyone.
Old 07-30-2020, 10:17 PM   #62
some1

Classic case of an armchair expert arguing with people who have real world experience.

I spent a few days in a prop plane on a cross country flight and never noticed the propeller affecting my vision in any way. Recent DCS prop planes in VR look so bad, I feel fatigued after 5 minutes of looking at that flickering mess.

Hardware: Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Hotas Cougar, Slaw Rudder, Wheel Stand Pro, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Reverb
some1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 09:43 AM   #63
dali

the problem lies in the fact, that too much modeling is based on videos, not personal experience. That's why we also have laser lines shooting from the cannons and guns...camera shutter and eye = not the same thing.
dali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 10:47 AM   #64
BIGNEWY
ED Community Manager

Good news is this isnt a problem internally with the new damage model, hopefully you will see it soon.

If you can please include a track replay it makes it easier to test if we can see that same examples as you are seeing.

thanks

* threads merged
Windows 10 Pro x64, NVIDIA MSI RTX 2080Ti VENTUS GP, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 32GB DDR @3000, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, TM Warthog, Jet provost rudder pedals, VIVE Cosmos

BIGNEWY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 11:01 AM   #65
iFoxRomeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGNEWY View Post
Good news is this isnt a problem internally with the new damage model, hopefully you will see it soon.

If you can please include a track replay it makes it easier to test if we can see that same examples as you are seeing.

thanks

* threads merged
You merged two threads, both having problems with the propellor, but still different topics.
One is about pop damage, the other about the general appearance of popeller textures in game.
Perhaps this video makes it clear. Yes it is in recorded in VR with motion reprojection (45fps), but this behaviour appears on flat screen with 100fps+ also.

https://youtu.be/7Zgwu8mOAv0

Fox
iFoxRomeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 02:04 PM   #66
SmirkingGerbil

Quote:

thanks

* threads merged
Can generate a video and track file of the "visual damage" this weekend and will upload. I haven't really noticed the prop as being very noticeable as far as regular flight with no damage. The only time I really get a sense of that is when the sun is directly behind me, at early morning angles and you can get some pretty intense flashing and glare . . . but I have no real world experience in if that is accurate or not.
Old 07-31-2020, 02:24 PM   #67
BIGNEWY
ED Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by iFoxRomeo View Post
You merged two threads, both having problems with the propellor, but still different topics.
One is about pop damage, the other about the general appearance of popeller textures in game.
Perhaps this video makes it clear. Yes it is in recorded in VR with motion reprojection (45fps), but this behaviour appears on flat screen with 100fps+ also.

https://youtu.be/7Zgwu8mOAv0

Fox
Propeller improvements are reported, currently in review at the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmirkingGerbil View Post
Can generate a video and track file of the "visual damage" this weekend and will upload. I haven't really noticed the prop as being very noticeable as far as regular flight with no damage. The only time I really get a sense of that is when the sun is directly behind me, at early morning angles and you can get some pretty intense flashing and glare . . . but I have no real world experience in if that is accurate or not.
Thank you
Windows 10 Pro x64, NVIDIA MSI RTX 2080Ti VENTUS GP, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 32GB DDR @3000, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, TM Warthog, Jet provost rudder pedals, VIVE Cosmos

Old 07-31-2020, 10:06 PM   #68
SmirkingGerbil

Default New track, and vid of visual damage

@BIGNEWY

Here is the track file, miz file, and a vid.

Unfortunately, I had a great run with this track and miz, but wasn't recording, so I am including a vid from an earlier example that shows how the plane responds and flies even with prop blades bent back 90 deg with large holes in them.

Will attach vid after it renders at YouTube

Attached Files
File Type: trk visualdamage.trk (2.96 MB, 15 views)
File Type: miz P47CaucasusStraf.miz (23.5 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by SmirkingGerbil; 07-31-2020 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Added You Tube
SmirkingGerbil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 08:46 AM   #69
BIGNEWY
ED Community Manager

Thanks for the track, and nice bomb drop

It is still possible to fly with a bent prop,

Here are some war time examples, all made it back to the base.

I will try to reproduce missing prop issues

thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	47-wing-1024x566.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	243908   Click image for larger version

Name:	p47-prop-1024x566.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	243910   Click image for larger version

Name:	p47-sideflak-1024x566.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	243911  

Last edited by BIGNEWY; 08-01-2020 at 09:08 AM.
Old 08-01-2020, 12:42 PM   #70
SmirkingGerbil

Quote:
Thanks for the track, and nice bomb drop

It is still possible to fly with a bent prop,

Here are some war time examples, all made it back to the base.

I will try to reproduce missing prop issues

thanks
Wow, thanks! I had no idea it was still possible. I had a "hunch" it might be feasible, but at the same time, I just assumed it would be too catastrophic.

I haven't seen the "one blade" artifact since the last OB update. Performance seems unaffected by bent props, but I am a desk driver pilot, so no idea what that type of damage should "feel" like.

Thanks on the bomb drop, I have been working on the technique described by WWII protocol. Once you get the hang of it . . . why would you need fuzing!

Did manage to grab vid later, protocol bomb drop for those not wanting to dig up the track file, happens right at start

Last edited by SmirkingGerbil; 08-01-2020 at 01:00 PM. Reason: added detail to sentence.
SmirkingGerbil is offline   Reply With Quote