DCS World Flight Modelling Principles - Page 5 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 07-28-2020, 03:39 PM   #41
SmirkingGerbil

Quote:
Originally Posted by fargo007 View Post
I've never taken a helicopter off or landed one in real life, but have substantial experience in DCS/VR.

I got over a half hour of time on a military 206C sim.

Not only was I able to "fly" it, I was able to do so very precisely, and even to hot dog with it. Turning about the nose, landing on top of a small building, on an LHA, all of it.

I was assured that flying this sim means I could fly the actual helo.

DCS works for this purpose, and it works well.
Another fella had the same experience you did - I wonder if it would be the same for us fixed wing peasants?

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=249291&page=4
Old 07-28-2020, 03:58 PM   #42
fargo007

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmirkingGerbil View Post
Another fella had the same experience you did - I wonder if it would be the same for us fixed wing peasants?

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=249291&page=4
I would imagine yes it would be. Especially because flying fixed wing once airborne is orders of magnitude easier in a modern fighter aircraft.

Landing may be a bit of a different story though!

It's really a testament to the accuracy of the flight models in DCS, and the fidelity that they have put into the aircraft. Any one of the guys I fly with in squadron could have done the exact same thing.

At least as far as the basics, DCS can give you the monkey skills 100%. And DCS was superior in more ways than one.

Based upon what I saw, if they had a physical cockpit that lined up with what you see in VR, such that the pilot can actually flick the switches and turn the knobs physically, and modeled the hydraulic forces on the controls, it's game over for these multi-million dollar, huge hydraulic tractor-trailer sized sims.

Are you ready to take your chopper flying skills to the next level?
Then check out http://www.blacksharkden.com/ Or visit us on Discord https://discord.gg/kaayJ5z and talk to some of our awesome pilots today.
fargo007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 09:59 AM   #43
CecileLind

Send a message via AIM to CecileLind

It's a pleasure to be able to open my eyes when I rarely see such useful things.
The article is very useful.
CecileLind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 08:38 AM   #44
Emmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David OC View Post
All the simulations are taken as far as possible of course. It's still not the real dynamic thing, so never 100% (Edge of flight envelope) on a home pc. Some seem to think you can achieve.

It's still the best on the market by far and possibly as good or better as D level sims irl.

These guy's talk about how there million dollar mill sims were still not quite right. There seems to be a few vocal military pilots that think DCS on a (home pc) should be as good or better than the sims they used in the military, without the budget.

Full video here
Agreed!

Emmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 09:17 AM   #45
Hummingbird
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figaro9 View Post
FM is more accurate than your chart reading, try again.
That's pretty rich from someone who litterally doesn't understand what the chart says. I'd say learn to read such charts and understand what is ITR and what is STR before you criticize others of not reading it correctly. Getting a figure a tiny bit off (0.64 vs 0.67) is forgivable, but not even understanding what the chart is saying, like you, well sorry but spits you right out of the conversation.

RL ITR as pr. HAF manual:
26,000 lbs = 9.0 G @ 0.67
22,000 lbs = 9.0 G @ 0.62

This is what the DCS F-16 needs to match.

Last edited by Hummingbird; 07-31-2020 at 09:28 AM.
Hummingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 01:31 PM   #46
gavagai

Quote:
These guy's talk about how there million dollar mill sims were still not quite right. There seems to be a few vocal military pilots that think DCS on a (home pc) should be as good or better than the sims they used in the military, without the budget.
A little bird told me that they spend 5 million USD/year on a simulator at Edwards AFB, and none of the pilots want to use it.
Old 07-31-2020, 04:52 PM   #47
Shadow KT

Can this be moved to the Community News section?

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days
Shadow KT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 04:53 AM   #48
tusler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow KT View Post
Can this be moved to the Community News section?
I second the motion!
Old 08-01-2020, 05:35 PM   #49
Sarge55

Third

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog
Sarge55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 10:31 PM   #50
Stearmandriver

This is good stuff! I'm curious; has anyone found a way to modify the ground effect for a given aircraft? Just curious if I can mod (or comment out completely) the reversed ground effect as it currently affects the Hornet. I can't seem to find a parameter defined for ground effect, yet it seems it would have to be aircraft specific since not all DCS aircraft have the ground effect reversed?
Stearmandriver is offline   Reply With Quote