F-15C Eagle Questions

FlankerMan

Hello, everybody! I own FC3, and I know the MiG-29S and Su-27S pretty well, but I was wondering a few things about the F-15C, as I'm not very good with it, but would like to become so.

1-At what speed do I take off? There aren't any training missions/tutorials for it, and the cockpit gives knots, not the km/h I'm used to. Also, I usually swerve and crash on the runway. Any way to avoid this?

2-How can I tell how much fuel I have left? I'm not used to all the dials, because the Russian jets have a simpler vertical bar fuel indicator.

3-Lastly, after the AIM-120 countdown has ended, should I keep the target locked as long as I can (obviously I'm free to turn away to avoid a missile), or will it not make a difference?

There are plenty of youtube videos on normal T/O procedures and weapons employment. Most are done in a very straightforward way. As for your second question, have you read the manual?

FENRIR

No KC-10 in DCS? Thank goodness for small miracles!

Intel i5 4690K OC to 4.0, Corsair CX850M PSU, 16GB Patriot Viper @ 1866MHz, EVGA GTX 1060 SC, Samsung EVO 250GB SSD, Saitek X-55, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, Delanclip

1-At what speed do I take off? There aren't any training missions/tutorials for it, and the cockpit gives knots, not the km/h I'm used to. Also, I usually swerve and crash on the runway. Any way to avoid this?

Depends, usually you wanna rotate around 150 knots to avoid popping your wheels.

2-How can I tell how much fuel I have left? I'm not used to all the dials, because the Russian jets have a simpler vertical bar fuel indicator.

In the bottom right of the front dash there is a large gauge that displays your total internal fuel.

3-Lastly, after the AIM-120 countdown has ended, should I keep the target locked as long as I can (obviously I'm free to turn away to avoid a missile), or will it not make a difference?

Yes, after the post-launch counter has reached "M" the missile is pitbull (i.e. guiding with its own radar). In-game there will not be a difference if you keep the target locked. Sometimes that timer isn't very accurate though, especially if the target maneuvered after you foxed, and you may need to add some seconds on top.

1) Takeoff:

Ensure you are lined up centered on the runway.

Apply maximum braking.

Press rctrl+enter to bring up the control indicator

Check flaps are down.

Pull the stick full aft once and return it to center.

Advance throttles to 80%.

Release brakes and advance throttle to max.

Apply a small amount of rudder to track the runway centerline if there is a crosswind

component. (Adding a heavy curve to the rudder axis will help to avoid the tendency to over

correct with rudder)

At 120 knots apply 1/2 aft stick and rotate the nose to 10 degrees.

Once your airborne raise gear and flaps

2) The FUEL QTY indicator is at the lower right of the front panel. The eagle carries 13,500lbs of internal fuel.

3) When firing an AIM-120, once the time to active countdown reaches zero the missile is active and guiding itself. There’s no benefit to keeping the target locked.

1) Takeoff:

Ensure you are lined up centered on the runway.

Apply maximum braking.

Press rctrl+enter to bring up the control indicator

Check flaps are down.

Pull the stick full aft once and return it to center.

Advance throttles to 80%.

Release brakes and advance throttle to max.

Apply a small amount of rudder to track the runway centerline if there is a crosswind component. (Adding a heavy curve to the rudder axis will help to avoid the tendency to over correct with rudder)

At 120 knots apply 1/2 aft stick and rotate the nose to 10 degrees.

Once your airborne raise gear and flaps

good guidance

note - be sure the gear are up before 250kts or you'll "over-speed" the gear : )

not mandatory by any means, but some ppl do the following...

- release brakes, throttle to MILPOWER (non-afterburner), as the jet accelerates through 50kts, advance throttle to MAX (full afterburner)

- proceed as described above

- at 250kts come out of burner - throttle back to MIL

- "pitch for 300" -- raise the nose in MIL POWER and vary pitch to maintain 300kts (most efficient angle of climb in MIL PWR --- 350kts for MAX(AB))

i7-4790K | Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkI | 16Gb DDR3 | EVGA GTX 980 | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswind | Panasonic TC-58AX800U

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

good guidance

note - be sure the gear are up before 250kts or you'll "over-speed" the gear : )

not mandatory by any means, but some ppl do the following...

- release brakes, throttle to MILPOWER (non-afterburner), as the jet accelerates through 50kts, advance throttle to MAX (full afterburner)

- proceed as described above

- at 250kts come out of burner - throttle back to MIL

- "pitch for 300" -- raise the nose in MIL POWER and vary pitch to maintain 300kts (most efficient angle of climb in MIL PWR --- 350kts for MAX(AB))

Good advice. Waiting until 50kts to plug in afterburner might be helpful with the veering problems the OP mentioned.

http://www.mudspike.com/dcs-f-15c-combat-guide-for-beginners/

Google and forums searches make life so much easier

Nice guide! Really helpful! Just a couple questions:

1-When engaging multiple bandits in BVR combat, do I press the fire button repeatedly, or hold it down, like in the MiG-29S?

2-How do I lock them? Do I press the lock key, or does it automatically do it after a few seconds?

Nice guide! Really helpful! Just a couple questions:

1-When engaging multiple bandits in BVR combat, do I press the fire button repeatedly, or hold it down, like in the MiG-29S?

2-How do I lock them? Do I press the lock key, or does it automatically do it after a few seconds?

1- Why not test it out?

2- Aquire the contacts in BVR mode (default mapping is number 2 on the keyboard). Switch the radar to Track While Scan (Right alt + I is the default mapping). Move the TDC cursor over the the desired contact and press designate (enter is the default key). Assign additional contacts the same way. When you fire (Ralt+spacebar is default mapping) each consecutive Missile will guide towards the contacts in the order they were designated.

Default behavior is: hold "release weapon" and 1 selected missile will fly.

You can turn on "salvo mode" (search for it in key bindings) and then when multiple targets are selected: hold "release weapon" and all missiles of selected type will fly one after another to engage selected targets cycling one after another and back to the first...

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

does that "salvo mode" work??

not that there's any need for it... all missiles work 100% of the time (no failures) and one missile hit = kill (don't need >1 hit to bring down an a/c)

also.. why expend all your missiles when defeating one will defeat them all

i7-4790K | Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkI | 16Gb DDR3 | EVGA GTX 980 | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswind | Panasonic TC-58AX800U

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

does that "salvo mode" work??

Last time I checked it did. And it's purpose is rather for multiple targets designated in TWS than multiple hits for one target.

all missiles work 100% of the time (no failures) and one missile hit = kill (don't need >1 hit to bring down an a/c)

No and no. Have you ever evade a missile? Have you ever been hit and still in control of your a/c? Well, all other a/c happen to do that too. We playing different game or sth?

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

IN the real deal, 'salvo' mode works like this:

1) Bug multiple targets in TWS (But could also be single IIRC)

2) 'click' the WRB/Pickle

3) Within one second, push and hold WRB/Pickle again

Watch as a missile comes off the rail per target (or maybe only two missiles total, the text wasn't very clear IIRC)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Last time I checked it did. And it's purpose is rather for multiple targets designated in TWS than multiple hits for one target.

That's default game behavior too. Salvo mode just makes it happen faster. 1 missile per target but without much delay between shots.

Lord of Salt

That's default game behavior too. Salvo mode just makes it happen faster. 1 missile per target but without much delay between shots.

I was actually talking about in-game. The only situation I can think of using it that would be contacts that are close packed, so they all have ASE launching dot in almost the same spot. But the hard part here is designating those targets by TDC ;) Am I the only one to struggle with this?

I can take off fine in single player, but for some reason in the 1.5.8 Stable Steam Belgium Aerobatics mission, I always crash in take off. Also, the ground crew won't take off my drop tanks, so if I want to get lighter, I have to get in the air and drop them. I managed once, but there was a lot of swerving, and I still crashed in the end. Any idea at all as to what I should do? Another thing, what speed (in knots, like the HUD uses) should I take off? I try to do so at around 150 knots.

150 is ok. Standard practice is half-stick aft at 120kts, let the nose rotate to 10deg (W at the 10 deg mark) and keep it there until take-off.

Not sure what to say about the crashing ... is there wind? What's different?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

I discovered the reason for all my takeoff troubles! I had tried to start both engines at about the same time, so only one started! That would also explain me swerving issues, since only one side was going. YESSS!!! One last thing: Would doing Right Shift and Home, start both engines, only cause one to start up, or will they both?

Just do it individually: Start the right engine first, then the left engine.

And props for not doing your instrument cross-check to catch such issues :megalol:

ALWAYS check engines when starting up, always check fuel, and check gear and flaps every time you move their switches. :D

I discovered the reason for all my takeoff troubles! I had tried to start both engines at about the same time, so only one started! That would also explain me swerving issues, since only one side was going. YESSS!!! One last thing: Would doing Right Shift and Home, start both engines, only cause one to start up, or will they both?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I discovered the reason for all my takeoff troubles! I had tried to start both engines at about the same time, so only one started! That would also explain me swerving issues, since only one side was going. YESSS!!!

Just... Wow! Now, I have to try that for myself :)