Any chance of cockpit textures upgrade?

khurlimann

Hi

Considering that the A-10 and the P-51 are getting new textures, is there any plans to revisit the F-5 cockpit as well? While the textures are definitely not bad, when coming back from flying the hornet it is just obvious that they are not as good as in the latest cockpits. Would be a shame to let this wonderful module get old texture wise.

thanks!

F5E textures are far from obsolete, evne if its not on the level of detail we saw on the Heatblur tomcat.

IMO whilst the A10s is bit more aged ED should have prioritized updating the Ka50 Cockpit. That IS hands down the oldest that still looked dated even in the older DCS 1.2 pre edge engine.

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

Since it inst really that old compared to some other modules if they spent the time to re texture, I hope they'd Modify it into the F-5EM. and relegate the US based E model to FC3 level.

Rift CV1: i-7 8700 RTX 2070 16GB 3200mhz win10. M.2 128gb GB Z390 Aurous Master. warthog stick on Gunfighter Base

• 2 weeks later...

You have to update the external and internal model. Textures also have to be updated. I'm sad about the quality of the 3D model of the F-5E. It looks like it was done lazily. This module is far from final version. A feather. I'll think 100 times before buying a Belsimtenk again.

|Motherboard|: Asus TUF Gaming X570-PLUS,

|WaterCooler|: Corsair H115i Pro,

|CPU|: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X,

|RAM|: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200MHz DDR4,

|SSD|: Kingston A2000 500GB M.2 NVMe,

|SSD|: Kingston 2.5´ 480GB UV400 SATA III,

|SSHD|: Seagate Híbrido 2TB 7200RPM SATA III,

|GPU|: MSI Gaming 980Ti,

|Monitor|: LG UltraWide 34UM68,

|Joystick 1|: Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog,

|Joystick 2|: T.Flight Rudder Pedals,

|Head Motion|: TrackIr 5.

You have to update the external and internal model. Textures also have to be updated. I'm sad about the quality of the 3D model of the F-5E. It looks like it was done lazily. This module is far from final version. A feather. I'll think 100 times before buying a Belsimtenk again.

This statement I can partially agree with, the functionality of the module is absolutely brilliant however I don't fly it often because it looks really dated, the textures are not up to par with the newer modules (obviously) would love to see a more high resolution, gritty, better presented cockpit though +1

4.8 I7, 1080, TMW&T, SSD, VKB MK.IV.

You mean youl never buy an ED product anymore? :smartass:

Belismtek doesn't exist anymore. They merged directly with ED ( they were in an adjacent office anyhow and close partners anyways). The former members of the BST team are working on all ED projects

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

Since it inst really that old compared to some other modules if they spent the time to re texture, I hope they'd Modify it into the F-5EM. and relegate the US based E model to FC3 level.

I don't need that much glass. I'd take an F-5N or two, though. The AN/APG-69 is a huge step forward.

With all my respect to everyone, but I think it does not worth to ask ED/BST for an upgraded version. The F-5 is a finished module and it is F-5E3. On the other hand, to ask for updated cockpit textures is worths and needed: if you try to fly the f-5 by night you'll soon realize that it is not optimized for the new 2.5 rendering engine, and something must be done, sooner or later.

While I'd love to see an F-5EM, this would almost certainly require a lengthy development time and the re-writing of a lot of code. It isn't just quality of life upgrades, but almost an entirely new aircraft in the shell of the original F-5E.

Per Wikipedia, the F-5EM includes no less than the following upgrades, which are extensive.

- Grifo F radar in a larger nose section

- INS/GPS

- Aerial refueling system

- Electronic warfare systems

- HOTAS

- Glass cockpit displays and HMD

- RWR

- Encrypted comms

- NVG compatibility

- OBOGS

It would come down to producing almost an entirely new module.

• 2 weeks later...

The F-5 has become a regretable purchase for me. The quality really is subpar but what is most dissapointing is that there are no plans to bring it up to better standards. DCS as a whole is forever evolving and improving. The same should apply to the aircraft. It seems like you buy an aircraft and fly for a bit but it is soon outdated and unsupported.

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

Surely you mean visual only subpar? Yeah it's not PBR. If you're only after visuals "War Thunder" exists. I find the F-5E to be a great module. It's actual really good. From a flight model standpoint and from a training standpoint. Like the T-38, if you can fly this jet well in formation, and employ it in AA and AG all the other aircraft you fly will fall in line. Teaches good BFM cross checks, especially fuel management. I really like the F-5.

Cheers,

Rick

CSEL\CMEL\IFR

Certified Airplane Nut

F-5EM upgrade would be cool, and welcomed. But this is F-5E-3 sim module. Is it not? Not F-5EM. F-5E is a VFR aka daylight fighter/attack. It has no night/all weather attack sensor & avionic suite. No radar altimeter, no AG radar (not even locked beam ), no guided AG missile, no self lasing, no TPOD, no FLIR, not even night vision goggles, nor NVG compatible cockpit lighting. AG rocket delivery computer gets 'confused' when carrying different rockets on separate stations. In that case manual DEPR does not really work. No ILS. TACAN approaches in bad weather or night. Otherwise its all visual. Radar is OK for terminal intercept. I have never seen it detect anything airborne in 40nm search mode. At 20 nm search it works. 5nm and 10nm dogfight modes are fine.

At night, over PG water, with no horizon due to clouds, it must be flown on instruments head down. Formation lights, nav lights, and even anti-col strobe don't look right. Anti-col light is also not occluded by geometry.

However its range is quite good. Good loiter time above 20K.

Against Gen 4 opponent , not much of a chance. no ECM and limited countermeasures good maybe for single missile evasion. Only two AA missiles. But AIM-9P5 is all aspect , and I suspect its internal code and PK is same as DCS AIM-9M. I have little trouble killing SU-24M , even when Fencers have R-60M for self defense.

It is a daylight platform and that is that.

That said, ED could maybe add NVG and compatible cockpit/instrument lighting. Helmet mounted NVG don't require any special sensors on the aircraft, just lighting that is green/amber filtered.

IMHO, F-5E module is a MUST or HIGHLY RECOMMENDED, for serious DCS pilot. It should be paired with sophisticated Gen 4 module such as A-10C, M2KC, and AV8B/NA. Learn and practice on F-5E, then transition to A-10C, M2KC, or AV8B/NA. My favorite and #1 module currently is AV8B/NA. I am holding off F/A-18C, as it is not complete, and I own M2KC module but have not learned it. If I am away from DCS for more then a week, I first warm up by flying F-5E missions.

For certain, for those who find FC3 a bit too simplistic, but A-10C, M2KC, and AV-8B/NA as more then a handfull managing avionics, sensors, weapons, while flying, F-5E is the module to have fun with. Flight model is excellent. Handling characteristics are realistic but easy and straightforward. Cross-wind T/O and landing do require old school stick & rudder skill. T/D require careful settling rates to avoid damage. I have zero regrets having bought F-5E. It was on sale for $24, and it was money well spent. Good job ED/BST.

If ED/BST offer an avionic upgrade module to F-5EM suite, I'd get that. Mirroring a real world mid-life upgrade that F-5E in Brazil, Malaysia, Thailand, Taiwn(ROC), ROK (S. Korea), and NATO air forces underwent.

The F-5 has become a regretable purchase for me. The quality really is subpar but what is most dissapointing is that there are no plans to bring it up to better standards. DCS as a whole is forever evolving and improving. The same should apply to the aircraft. It seems like you buy an aircraft and fly for a bit but it is soon outdated and unsupported.

Really mates, sometimes I can't understand people letting statements like this without further prove or something to support such a claim. F-5 still gets updates and patches every now and then, model is more than finished and this little aircraft is such a joy to fly. I mean, when you get a F-5 I have to guess people know what they are buying, a 70's barely supersonic light fighter with limited ground attack capabilities built to fulfil third World needs mostly or training purposes, and so that's exactly what you get when buying this module. Indeed we get one of the latest variants of the model, I can't imagine what the comments would be should we got the F-5A radarless Vietnam era variant, dissapointing? disgusting? crapyard material? :doh:

The module is AWESOME, the aircraft itself is what it is and module gets that to the slightest detail, it's a really fun ride and nice to master either for light combat or just for a stroll. Cockpit could be better? I don't think so, didn't notice last time I sat in a real F-5 cockpit and everything was there exactly the same, but newer lighting features would be welcome, fine and agree while it's not such a big deal in order to enjoy the module. Better textures? Well, any overhauling would be welcome, but the model is good enough and I don't see where it is such an old and outdated one, my GTX1080 doesn't let me see any further, sorry, maybe you all game @8K 60" monitors and ultrahigh textures I can't see :huh: . Not only that, I don't know of any other sim offering this kind of aircraft in such a high quality and fidelity to compare and say this one is so bad as you say.

S!

Edited by Ala13_ManOWar

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

Hi

Considering that the A-10 and the P-51 are getting new textures, is there any plans to revisit the F-5 cockpit as well? While the textures are definitely not bad, when coming back from flying the hornet it is just obvious that they are not as good as in the latest cockpits. Would be a shame to let this wonderful module get old texture wise.

thanks!

Agree!

Aorus Z390 Extreme MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.0 GHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3600 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Corsair TX 850M PS | Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe SSD 1TB |TMWH Hotas with VPC WarBRD Base| Corsair Gamer 570x Crystal Case | HP Reverb

Really mates, sometimes I can't understand people letting statements like this without further prove or something to support such a claim.

How about this post: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3278517&postcount=1. We were supposed to start getting bug fixes for the numerous bugs after the Hornet went into EA. Most of those issues haven't been touched. And there are serious bugs not on the list such as this FM issue: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=214854. All that in addition to the graphical problems introduced with the new engine.

Worst of all, there is virtually no communication from BST. We have no idea when if ever those problems will get addressed. Same goes for other BST and even the less popular ED modules (such as the Yak-52).

The F-5E used to be one of my favorite modules but right now I just couldn't recommend it to anybody with a clear conscience. For such a simple plane there are simply too many bugs and no roadmap to getting them fixed.

The F-5E used to be one of my favorite modules but right now I just couldn't recommend it to anybody with a clear conscience. For such a simple plane there are simply too many bugs and no roadmap to getting them fixed.
I know there are bugs but it's not like it's not usable, it is and I still enjoy it, that only depends on how nitpicky everyone is.

But my point is with the people saying it's a so outdated and old model, both external 3D model and cockpit. I guess they know other sims to compare with so they can tell it's way outdated.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe nobody used the term "not usable". Regrettable, unsupported - sure, but not unusable. I'm glad that you still enjoy the F-5, I really am. But me and a couple of others have had enough of flying with our strobe lights off, working around the RWR and radar bugs, hitting everything but our target with the broken gun, turning off wind because the FM has issues... without as much as a hint of a future patch. Please don't belittle our criticism by suggesting we don't know what we bought or suggesting we play another game (this one goes to 000rick000). There's a lot of problems with this module. BST needs to address them.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe nobody used the term "not usable". Regrettable, unsupported - sure, but not unusable. I'm glad that you still enjoy the F-5, I really am. But me and a couple of others have had enough of flying with our strobe lights off, working around the RWR and radar bugs, hitting everything but our target with the broken gun, turning off wind because the FM has issues... without as much as a hint of a future patch. Please don't belittle our criticism by suggesting we don't know what we bought or suggesting we play another game (this one goes to 000rick000). There's a lot of problems with this module. BST needs to address them.
Yeah, yeah, I know you didn't say it's unusable nor I said you said it is, I said "it's not like it's unusable", just that.

BTW I just tried seeking the fuel tanks bug and it's working right now, who knows. But I know other bugs as well, so I'm not saying she doesn't need some love, but people dismiss her as way outdated with regard to modelling and I don't see it, just that.

S!

+1

The F-5 used to be my favorite module and the lack of updates (don't forget the tumbling artificial horizon) isn't exactly promising.

Same goes for the rather basic Yak-52 module.

i7-7700K 4.2GHz, 16GB, GTX 1070 

Still is and always will be, one of my favorite modules. Visual update and bug fixes or not.

They way I see it, if its scheduled for a visual update (PBR and all) and fixes, then its gonna happen for MAC. If it doesnt get updated for MAC, then its not getting updated.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |