Windows Mixed Reality Discussion

NineLine

Hello,

how does DCS work with WMR, is it native or does it work via the steam interface? Does the steam version of DCS have to be used?

Simpit Software by SDA "SIMPIT DEVELOPER ASSOCIATION"

• DCS ExportScript
  • D.A.C. DCS to Arcaze Communicator
  • Ikarus a new Virtual Cockpit Software

Deutscher Forums Thread

English Forums Thread

Hard/Software: AMD Ryzen 7 1800X, 32 GiB RAM, extra SSD for Windows 10 and DCS World, AMD Vega Frontier Edition with 16 GiB VRAM

Hello,

how does DCS work with WMR, is it native or does it work via the steam interface? Does the steam version of DCS have to be used?

Well you would need Steam installed to get Steam VR installed, however once Steam VR is installed then no you do not need to even run Steam. Just Steam VR.

If it works like it does with a Rift when running a Steam VR game, it should launch Steam VR automatically when launching the game.

No, would not need to run Steam versions of DCS.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

You still have to start WMR portal first. But that should be enough. (It doesn't work when using dP-VGA adapter)

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

Do you also change the Sim between VR and no-VR mode by enabling/disabling the WMR in Windows 10 device manager?

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

oh ok to restart the game again, I understand.

No it does not.

2 things interesting for WMR users:

1. to disable "confine cursor to game window" you must got to settings, VR and click "cancel" to disable it (must do on every game restart, still bit buggy).

2. WMR working great in DCS with OVRdrop! (So if you have a 5-10 min flight until you reach the AO you can watch a YouTube video inside of your cockpit until then! ;) Use autopilot! Like here (Ka-50):

You can move the window anywhere, resize, even rotate ;)

OVRdrop_DCS.jpg

Edited by DanielNL

I keep getting loading screens sometimes when I'm flying around (suddenly SteamVR loading screen for several seconds). Anyone else has this issue? I do have DCS on SSD, but Windows 10 still on old and slow HDD... But this shouldn't even affect DCS then, right?

the dcs /steamvr/oculus screen usually comes up when theres a long enough delay from the renderer.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

NineLine do you have Windows 10 also on an HDD ? could be related.. (Microsoft's WMR process are heavy I/O sometimes for many seconds during WMR gaming) Do other VR users not experience this issue (Rift, Vive, ...) ?

• ED Team

No my OS is on an SSD, although I see it more in the version of DCS (I have one version on HDD and rest on SSD) I have on an HDD, its best practice to have both the OS and DCS on an SSD if you have the space I think.

Edited by NineLine

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

I get that occasionally too, not sure what causes that, I wonder if native support of WMR would improve that, but not sure. When Hornet madness calms down I will kick around about it on the DCS side.

This might be relevant: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=207925 I've also got a WMR headset (the Odyssey), looks like the stutters are caused by damage models loading. It only started when the 2.5.1 patch released.

I keep getting loading screens sometimes when I'm flying around (suddenly SteamVR loading screen for several seconds). Anyone else has this issue? I do have DCS on SSD, but Windows 10 still on old and slow HDD... But this shouldn't even affect DCS then, right?

I was having the same issue. Determined that my ram was reaching 100 usage as per the Windows performance monitor. I added another 16Gb and the issue went away. I also found that running the monitor in full screen lessened jitters and increased FPS. There seems to be some variance with running full screen but it seems to vary with the different HMDs ie Rift, Vive, WMR.

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

running windows performance monitor while playing DCS will increase my fps/reduce amount of loading screens? :D

• 3 weeks later...

I've been wrestling with issues with my WMR device with DCS the past couple weeks. It would intermittently return to the SteamVR loading screen while in flight. It would happen often if a model had to be damaged, but it would also happen randomly. If I removed my headset, I would notice that the flat DCS window was completely locked up during this time. I tried all kinds of things to solve this -- messed around with the graphics settings, tried the Process Lasso trick, and even did a clean reinstall of Windows. Nothing helped.

On a whim, I opted into the beta branch of "Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR" on Steam and then manually enabled automatic motion reprojection in one of the config files. It solved the problem completely.

The guide I followed is here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/mixed-reality/enthusiast-guide/using-steamvr-with-windows-mixed-reality#enabling-motion-reprojection-for-steamvr-apps

And just to make it easy for folks that might try this themselves, here's the current configuration:

Windows 10, fully updated

SteamVR (beta)

Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR (beta)

Nvidia driver 397.93

Windows on SSD 1

SteamVR and WMR installed on SSD 1

DCS on SSD 2

Windows page file on SSD 3

i7 6700K (stock speeds)

GTX 1080 (reference card)

16GB DDR4 3000Mhz RAM

Sorry for the information dump, but I figured it can't hurt. :thumbup:

Wow and only supported by Nvidia cards it seems.