At the risk of opening a huge can of worms.......

JanK

Currently playing dcs on a i5 @3.6GHz, 16mb ram, plain old hdd and a gtx1070, it does run rather good to be an old system, getting about 30fps on the ground on busy mission and 70+ when in the air on high/mediom settings. So i guess i shouldn't complain.

But i would like to be able to go 4 x msaa as i truly hate jiggies , but that is a big no no on this system :D

My kid say i should just get a new fan for my CPU and oc it to 4 GHz and some more ram, but will the 1070 really do 4 x msaa?

Now for the can of worms..... IF i decide to build a new system, AMD or Intel?

Read a lot of good reviews on the Ryzen 7 but this old man dont really have a clue :cry:

Been trying to look at peoples signatures and it seems most of you running intel systems, any reasons for that?

Any suggestions/help would be deeply appreciated :thumbup:

I can't offer any help re AMD or Nvidea , but I can say that the 1070 will run 2x MSSA and 1.5 x SSAA , at good eye-candy levels in 1080p . This all but eliminated jaggies and shimmering . I maintained 60fps locked low over anywhere in the Caucasus and Vegas with these settings .(solo)

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Need more info, what is your resolution? What is this i5 3.6Ghz? How old is your PSU? What is your PSU? What is your budget?

You need to overclock the CPU (4.2-4.5Ghz) to play DCS proprely. Monitor your 1070 usage, RAM and CPU with MSI Afterburner/settings/monitoring/active hardware monitoring graphs. Tell us the results and the worms will reply. The cheapest way is to delid your "K" CPU.

Edited by Demon_

Attache ta tuque avec d'la broche.

Need more info, what is your resolution? What is this i5 3.6Ghz? How old is your PSU? What is your PSU? What is your budget?

You need to overclock the CPU (4.2-4.5Ghz) to play DCS proprely. Monitor your 1070 usage, RAM and CPU with MSI Afterburner/settings/monitoring/active hardware monitoring graphs. Tell us the results and the worms will reply. The cheapest way is to delid your "K" CPU.

Hole system was built 4-5 years ago, i'll download that MSI Afterburner and see if i understand anything of it :doh:

attachment.php?attachmentid=205011&stc=1&d=1551002506

1.thumb.jpg.1a7ef5e3415c4d2d5d1a3eb2143033f8.jpg

Ah Demon_ was also asking what is the screen resolution of the monitor you use? :thumbup:

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Ah Demon_ was also asking what is the screen resolution of the monitor you use? :thumbup:

Its visible in the screenshot. He has 27" monitor with 1920x1080 resolution.

With that, I think he should be able to run AA, at least 2x.

Do, or do not, there is no try.

--------------------------------------------------------

Sapphire Nitro+ Rx Vega 64, i7 4790K ... etc. etc.

Oh so it is,.. Doh! :poster_oops:

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

I know, but with a Z board you can do two things to OC.

First, all core turbo. The i5-3570 has a base clock of 3,4GHz and a max turbo of 3,8GHz. Sometimes this is possible with "H" mainboards too.

Second, with most Z boards you can add 400MHz to the base clock.

So, +400 +400 = 4,2GHz

The i5-3570 has a base clock of 3,4GHz and a max turbo of 3,8GHz.

It's 3.8Ghz (1-2 cores), 3.7Ghz (3 cores), 3.6Ghz (4 cores). We often miss this one. :)

I know, but with a Z board you can do two things to OC.

First, all core turbo. The i5-3570 has a base clock of 3,4GHz and a max turbo of 3,8GHz. Sometimes this is possible with "H" mainboards too.

Second, with most Z boards you can add 400MHz to the base clock.

So, +400 +400 = 4,2GHz

Yes, good idea :thumbup: but I don't think the guy will have fun overclocking the FSB.:crash:

Thank you for reply all.

I installed that afterburner thingy, didn't really know what i was looking at :megalol:

I did see my cpu temp rise to about 100 celsius pretty much from the second i started the game, it stayed there but isn't that a little high?

As found some log thingy, posted below if anyone want to take a look.:helpsmilie:

Also did some reading, do i understand this correct saying IF (Big if) i go the path of building a new system this MB is out of date, as in the socket of today's CPUs will not fit in it?

Thx in advance

HardwareMonitoring.zip

It's 3.8Ghz (1-2 cores), 3.7Ghz (3 cores), 3.6Ghz (4 cores). We often miss this one. :)

Yes, good idea :thumbup: but I don't think the guy will have fun overclocking the FSB.:crash:

That's why it is called "all core turbo", all cores run on the max turbo (that usually is only for 1-2 cores).

There is no need to OC the BCLK.

2749199.png

Thank you for reply all.

I installed that afterburner thingy, didn't really know what i was looking at :megalol:

I did see my cpu temp rise to about 100 celsius pretty much from the second i started the game, it stayed there but isn't that a little high?

As found some log thingy, posted below if anyone want to take a look.:helpsmilie:

Also did some reading, do i understand this correct saying IF (Big if) i go the path of building a new system this MB is out of date, as in the socket of today's CPUs will not fit in it?

Thx in advance

Yeah.. 100C is a "little" high. 85C with the CPU under full load is about the highest anyone really wants to be. Check your heatsink/fan for the cpu.. is it filthy? if so easiest option might be to just replace it lol. If it's relatively clean or easy to clean, could just be time to replace the thermal paste. Your CPU is probably throttling at that temp, which you can verify in task manager pretty easily if it's not running at full speed under load.

Just looking at the log you provided your CPU frequency is up and down, and gets as low as 3GHz.

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

Look like false reading. Install CPUID HWMonitor, this one is easier to read https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Yes, CPU will not fit. New CPU, motherboard and RAM. A SSD and probably a new PSU.

Intel CPU rank is like:

Small budget: 8350K

Average budget: 9600K

Large budget: 9700K

You win the lottery: 9900K

About the Rizen, ask Bit.

Note: You should try schroedi's advice.

Edited by Demon_

I'd buy an affordable AM4 motherboard that fits your budget and focus on a Ryzen-6core 2nd gen ike the 2600 or better and thus keep the door open for mid-years Ryzen3 generation if you then think you need more cores and more GHz.

It will save you LOTS of money and unless you had the bucks to go 1080ti or better at max-res of 1440p, there are no fps to win.

Keep in mind that things stay in relation to each other.

CPU-->RAW_FRAMES_MAX-->Resolution_defines_actual_FPS-->GPU_fps

It makes no sense to mix things that dont fit together in the above scheme, you loose fps and waste money.

If I had to buy new, I would ONLY go AMD. Screw those 5GHz, AMD will get there in June, with less heat and less TDP and less money from all we have heard.

Intel boards have a VRM solution that fits a 60t MBT rather than a fan cooled motherboard.

Things got out of control at Intel and I wouldnt pay them to try to fool me.

Best would be to wait for Ryzen-3000 series in June. That is what I do.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

I'm still with his biggest issue right now is his CPU is throttling.

Under load that CPU shouldn't be getting under 3.6ghz period. In the same graph he provided you can see that when his cpu is at 100% usage, the cpu clock is also down at 3.4GHz or below and gets as low as 3GHz. It's fluctuating through the entire graph.

Doesn't look like a faulty reading at all to me, it looks like a CPU throttling due to heat. I get speedstep on an idle desktop, I get Intel Turbo Boost.

Lower clock frequencies than 3.6ghz for all 4 cores under load don't make sense to me unless there's also a high temp readout.

Having intel features turned off myself, and my cpu being overclocked my cpu frequency graphs are a straight line period the end. In the OP's case the frequency changes would be more like 3.8 to 3.6 and vice versa under load depending on core usage, but more straight lines than the sporadic behavior shown in his cpu frequency graph.

Just an idle desktop for me, but also what it would look like while gaming because my cpu cooling is sufficient.

cpufreqaft.PNG.f8470f4fd63a3cf115b1bb18d87e5b9d.PNG

Look how his cpu never stops changing frequency, and how it appears to get higher as cpu usage goes down. This isn't the worst case of cpu throttling I've seen, but at every point that cpu is under 100% load on the graph, he's below the speed his cpu should be running at. you can see the speed drop below 3.6ghz at 70% or more usage, guesstimate as I didn't spend a horrible amount of time looking at them in comparison, but the general message is the same.

jankcpu.PNG.409c16c0710e29c6b052f6d90b2cbd1f.PNG

Fix the heat issue ($15-$40USD for an aftermarket heatsink+fan, if cleaning + some paste doesn't sound like less effort) then log with afterburner or HWmonitor, as well as the performance of DCS World for your needs, then go from there.

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

Thanks again all.

Had a chat with my kid (He gave me this computer) and his exact words when i asked him about the fans was "they are ******":censored:

So ill grab a new CPU fan and post again :)

*edited*

Might aswell ask here.... these any good and will an idiot like me be able to install it ?

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Liquid-Cooling/Single-Radiator-Liquid-Coolers/Hydro-Series%E2%84%A2-H60-High-Performance-Liquid-CPU-Cooler/p/CW-9060007-WW

Edited by JanK
More dumb questions

Thanks again all.

Had a chat with my kid (He gave me this computer) and his exact words when i asked him about the fans was "they are ******":censored:

So ill grab a new CPU fan and post again :)

*edited*

Might aswell ask here.... these any good and will an idiot like me be able to install it ?

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Liquid-Cooling/Single-Radiator-Liquid-Coolers/Hydro-Series%E2%84%A2-H60-High-Performance-Liquid-CPU-Cooler/p/CW-9060007-WW

It should be enough for your CPU. Might require pulling out the motherboard to install a backplate.

You might consider a 240mm version as it will be able to handle newer cpu's with more cores as well. But that also depends on whether your case has exhaust vents up top or intake vents in the front as well as a way to mount a 240mm rad.

I'm pretty sure the single fan version you picked will work better than air, but should be more than you need for a non K series 3rd gen intel chip, and even cases not designed for water loops should at least have a rear exhaust port you can use for the radiator and fan.

That being said if you're limited by case design, you could save money on using something like this https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099 if your case has room for it. There are even less expensive options as well.

What you're mostly looking for is that it's compatible with the 1155 socket (most usually come with a way to fit to most available socket types.

I'd hold off on the liquid unit unless you plan to get a K series processor or maybe use it whenever you decide to upgrade your rig. Stick with an inexpensive heatsink/fan combo rather than liquid if it's just to keep that non K series processor. Should be more than enough as long as it fits, and you apply thermal paste properly, if whatever you choose doesnt come with a pad.

Watch some youtube videos and read some how to guides on how to change out a CPU heatsink.. If you feel it's outside of your abilities after that pay someone or take it to your son. :) It's not that hard but it can be frustrating and a bit of a daunting task, and might be easier with someone to hold the motherboard if you need to install a backplate. Make sure the power is off, the psu is off, and unplugged from the wall. IF you need to install a bracket it pretty much requires disconnecting all connections to the motherboard and any components in the way, and resecuring all connections and making sure they're snug. So if you take this on yourself make sure to take ample note of what's connected to what, and do some thorough research.

It's less scary than it sounds but don't feel bad if you need someone with more experience to show you the ropes. Can't imagine it would cost much if you took the PC and your new cooler to a mom and pop's PC shop and asked them to install it for you and maybe let you watch. I forget sometimes that I learned a lot of this at a young age.

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler