Collective/Throttle movement reversal

hollywoody

Hi guys, Having some hours with rotorcraft I find that if I reverse my throttle it resembles more of a natural collective feel to the real thing. that is when I pull back on throttle it increases collective. I'm new to Helicopter sims and was wondering what the majority of you are doing for this? pros and cons. Thanks guys!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://WWW.VFA-113.COM

Win 8.1 i5-3570 3.4ghz-Trackir5-TM Warthog - Pro-Saitek Combat Rudders-Viso 43" 4k"

Hi, and welcome to the forum :)

You should never lower your throttle in flight. That's a bad thing to do. The throttle's should always be set to auto, unless in an emergency (like an engine failure) to maximum. Think ahead in the shark. That's the key.

So, just use the collective in flight (unless in an emergency as said before :P)

Hope this helps.

Edited by MTFDarkEagle
typo :P

I think he meant the throttle of the HOTAS. Not the aircraft throttle.

As far as that goes, in the controls section of the menu go to the axis area in the drop down box at top of window (should be in red text) and then select the collective and click the tune axis button. There is a check box there to reverse the axis. Now when you move the HOTAS throttle up, collective drops, back increases collective.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Other than what I posted, as far as your pors vs cons, there really is none. this is all about personal preffernce. I use push for adding collective. This makes it more comfortable in most flight situations. Since I'm between 30-70% most times it puts the HOTAS in a more comfortable possition for use at my desk.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Good point Prophet, it is a bit awkward at first, especially if you're used to fixed wing flight. For my taste though, I like to pull up. Yes, it's how a collective works in a real helicopter, but the important thing for me is that it just feels right. Pull up to increase lift, push down to descend. It helps me to visualize the forces at work on the airframe.

Sometimes I'm lucky with my cheap Cyborg Evo. It's pull-up for power by default! :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

I have to agree with Zembla, you are doing completely different movement with your throttle (horizontal) than you would do with collective in real heli. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't have any problem with switching to real collective control in both situations - pull or push on throttle stick. So I also agree with Frazer - your choice, your preference, what better suites you... ;)

I also use the reverse collective control more realistic when flying choppers, but takes a little adjustment when you switch back to fix wing, it just a matter of choice.

Spoiler:

MSI Z790 Carbon WIFI, i9 14900KF, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 4090, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate MCG Pro w/200mm Extension, Winwing Orion Rudder Pedals W/damper, UTC MK II Pro, Virpil TCS Plus Collective, Dell AW3418DW Gsync monitor, 970 Pro M2 1TB (for DCS), Playseat Air Force Seat, KW-980 Jetseat, Vaicom Pro, 3X TM Cougar with Lilliput 8" screens. Tek Creations panels and controllers.