Pixel density vs MSAA vs supersampling: mid-level GPU

DeltaMike

Really don't know what you mean. The 2080 Ti has produced a big improvement over the 1080 Ti in DCS. Increases in fps and the ability to ramp up the settings. What more do you need to know?

Ah yes I'm seeking some quantitive information especially for DCS. A lot of the reviews I've seen show from smallish FPS gains to maybe 10 or 15% gains in some resolutions and the gains can be a mixed bag. The 2080 from what I see is quasi equivalent to a 1080Ti with less RAM and no real benefit.

Reason I ask is of corse the freaking price between $2000 and $2400 AUD here for an RTX2080Ti

Link to my current DCS settings

For NTTR and Caucasus maps pretty much does a constant 45FPS ASW on, PG and Normandy maps well not so good with frame rates dropping from time to time. So I need to tweak to reduce the likely hood of dropping below 45FPS.

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Ah yes I'm seeking some quantitive information especially for DCS. A lot of the reviews I've seen show from smallish FPS gains to maybe 10 or 15% gains in some resolutions and the gains can be a mixed bag. The 2080 from what I see is quasi equivalent to a 1080Ti with less RAM and no real benefit.

Reason I ask is of corse the freaking price between $2000 and $2400 AUD here for an RTX2080Ti

Link to my current DCS settings

For NTTR and Caucasus maps pretty much does a constant 45FPS ASW on, PG and Normandy maps well not so good with frame rates dropping from time to time. So I need to tweak to reduce the likely hood of dropping below 45FPS.

And what PD are you runnng?

Trouble is that I replaced my Rift with a Vive Pro and the extra 80% pixels take a lot more GPU power to push around, so we’re never going to be able to make a direct comparison.

When I talk about Vive Pro and 2080 Ti, I always take price out of the equation. Looking purely at performance.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I went from 1080 Ti to 2080 Ti.

Did not really gain much in the fps department with my Rift, but did gain being able to increase graphics settings some and still maintain same performance as I was.

Plus I gained the Virtual Link C- Port I was able to use to plug my headset and sensors into which is kind of cool.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

With those settings I can run PD @ 1.1 which ramps up the GPU usage I can also run PD at 1.2 ~1.3 on NTTR map only Caucasus PD 1.2 max and PG and Normandy PD 1.0 or 1.1 without too much of a FPS hit.

I'm trying to put a second rig together for DCS given the cost it may have to use my 980Ti pretty much equivalent to a 1070.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Is it possible for MSAA settings to be fractional? The 2 setting seems a bit too much, if it were possible to have half or a third I'd be happy. Only need it to fix the thin straight objects like high line poles, or airfield towers, the mast assembly on the carrier, they all look horrid with bright pixels flashing. Otherwise it's too big of a hit even at 2. Once I get off the ground it's all OK.

If you look at the shader mod I referenced earlier, you can edit the hmd text file..

Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Bazar\shaders, as below,

"#define ENABLE_MASK 1

#define MASKSIZE 0.600f // change this to adjust the size of the mask, 0.525f seems to be ok for the Vive

#define MSAA_MASKSIZE 0.25f // Mask size used for MSAA - area outside this circle will not have MSAA applied on it"

You can edit the MSAA MASKSIZE, making the region where the MSAA is implemented larger or smaller. Not exactly the same, but it does give some measure of control over same.

Edited by Zoomer

Did not really gain much in the fps department with my Rift

that’s because VR in DCS is CPU bound and you didn’t increase the speed of your CPU

but did gain being able to increase graphics settings some and still maintain same performance as I was.

yes, because these graphics settings work on GPU not CPU

I also went to a 2080ti and FPS performance in multiplayer is actually worse for me.

Then something went seriously wrong. There is nothing in the 2080Ti that would make it perform worse than 1080Ti. *other* than NVidia drivers that might be catching up. But Nvidia doesn't even optimize the driver like they do for other popular games.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

??

after everything users have posted here in the forums?

Ok, I know what you mean. I guess what I should have said is that, for me, CPU is not an issue in DCS in the sense that I never see > 98% usage on CPU 12. Usually, it's 80-90%. That is all in 2D.

I haven't been able to find a way of measuring logical CPU processor usage in VR. I use fpsVR, but it only shows 'CPU usage' which is of limited use.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Whilst not super scientific you can get a pretty good idea of what cores and CPU utilisation DCS uses.

Simple method look at task manager processes and there is an entry for DCS (when running) that indicates overall CPU process utilisation typically about 15% for me it varies depending on map mission and what I am actually doing.

Next display the CPU graph do some flying or what ever and gauge what each core is doing once you get a general feel for what DCS is using use task manager to kill the DCS process and you'll see what cores where used which in my case includes Rift and some other "helper" processes.

Then start DCS up again watching task manager.

15% just roughly is 1 core peddling away at near 100% for my 6/12 core i7 as indicated in task managers CPU window.

Also DCS has it own built in FPS (and other data) that you can toggle on and off with "L CTRL and Pause/Break" key combination.

As I said not exactly scientific but you get the feel for what is going on and in my observation as soon as either the CPU core that is doing most of the work or the GPU hits 100% usage that is when DCS stars to drop frame rate.

Now all we need is a 20Ghz 2 core CPU,.. :D

Whilst not super scientific you can get a pretty good idea of what cores and CPU utilisation DCS uses.

Simple method look at task manager processes and there is an entry for DCS (when running) that indicates overall CPU process utilisation typically about 15% for me it varies depending on map mission and what I am actually doing.

Next display the CPU graph do some flying or what ever and gauge what each core is doing once you get a general feel for what DCS is using use task manager to kill the DCS process and you'll see what cores where used which in my case includes Rift and some other "helper" processes.

Then start DCS up again watching task manager.

15% just roughly is 1 core peddling away at near 100% for my 6/12 core i7 as indicated in task managers CPU window.

Also DCS has it own built in FPS (and other data) that you can toggle on and off with "L CTRL and Pause/Break" key combination.

As I said not exactly scientific but you get the feel for what is going on and in my observation as soon as either the CPU core that is doing most of the work or the GPU hits 100% usage that is when DCS stars to drop frame rate.

Now all we need is a 20Ghz 2 core CPU,.. :D

In 2D, all you need is MSI Afterburner overlay to show all sorts of info re GPU/CPU including logical processors usage. DCS always uses CPU 12 on my system, so I have that set in the things to display.

In VR, fpsVR - as I said above - is the only similar product I can find, and although you can't define which logical CPU to display, it does show max. usage as you go along, so, the heavy DCS use of CPU 12 shows up there in VR.

In 2D, all you need is MSI Afterburner overlay to show all sorts of info re GPU/CPU including logical processors usage. DCS always uses CPU 12 on my system, so I have that set in the things to display.

In VR, fpsVR - as I said above - is the only similar product I can find, and although you can't define which logical CPU to display, it does show max. usage as you go along, so, the heavy DCS use of CPU 12 shows up there in VR.

Agree I just don't need the CPU overhead of After Burner/River Tuner it's not that I don't use them. We all know what happens when we saturate CPU or GPU, FPS drop there are other causes but that seems to be the root cause for my system.

My CPU core 11 is the one that does most of the work I presume it's logical core 5. :thumbup::D

Agree I just don't need the CPU overhead of After Burner/River Tuner it's not that I don't use them. We all know what happens when we saturate CPU or GPU, FPS drop there are other causes but that seems to be the root cause for my system.

My CPU core 11 is the one that does most of the work I presume it's logical core 5. :thumbup::D

Overhead is negligible for AB/RTSS. Anyway, I need RTSS to limit frames to 58 for Gsync when not in VR.

Same here, the CPU is called 11, but is the 12th. No idea why there is a CPU 0!

It stems from logical zero is the first instance of something, like address zero is the first logical address of the first memory "block of data" or byte.

Think about 8 bit binary which can represent a maximum value of 255 or 0xFFh however those 8 bits can represent any 1 of 256 combinations. :)

It stems from logical zero is the first instance of something, like address zero is the first logical address of the first memory "block of data" or byte.

Think about 8 bit binary which can represent a maximum value of 255 or 0xFFh however those 8 bits can represent any 1 of 256 combinations. :)

I guess so. Makes sense.

Hopefully the new VR improvement promised by ED will be the nirvana we are all looking for

Hopefully, yes. I still find it strange they made that announcement recently, with no indication of when it will be delivered. For all we know, it could be years.... or hours! Who knows?

number digits start with 0 and go up to 9.

0 is the first one

You don't start counting your fingers with number 0!

You don't start counting your fingers with number 0!

It's mathematically and logically correct. Every engineering student learns that you count from zero. Europeans elevator tends to have 0, and 1st floor is the, well, first floor.

There are actual math TY videos about this:

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

It's mathematically and logically correct. Every engineering student learns that you count from zero. Europeans elevator tends to have 0, and 1st floor is the, well, first floor.

It's mathematically correct, but logically? Not so sure.

Elevators? Well, don't start. US have ground floor as 1, UK has ground floor and Europe has 0.

These are labels though, and can be called anything.

When you start counting, what is the first number you say? I bet it's not 0!

Bits are 0,1

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

If you look at the shader mod I referenced earlier, you can edit the hmd text file..

Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Bazar\shaders, as below,

"#define ENABLE_MASK 1

#define MASKSIZE 0.600f // change this to adjust the size of the mask, 0.525f seems to be ok for the Vive

#define MSAA_MASKSIZE 0.25f // Mask size used for MSAA - area outside this circle will not have MSAA applied on it"

You can edit the MSAA MASKSIZE, making the region where the MSAA is implemented larger or smaller. Not exactly the same, but it does give some measure of control over same.

That shader mod is the bomb, ain't it?

I dialed down the MSAA_mask to 0.1 figuring central vision is only what about 30 degrees in diameter? Three times the size of the full moon, basically. Now I can run MSAA4x and PD 1.2 without stuttering.

No real effect on text, but dramatic effect on aircraft. It's weird, you turn your head a little and a fine aircraft dissolves into jaggies. But I think it's a good pass at making the Oculus more... I dunno, natural?

To be clear, I now have a choice of shadows or MSAA. Not both. Still. Where there's a will to be a cheapskate, there's a way.

ETA: Maybe we should have an el cheapo build contest? I'm entering my $500 Dell workstation. At least one of the CPU sockets still works, and it should have a secret ingredient shortly....

Edited by DeltaMike

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder