New GME software

sedenion

Hello,

I am just starting to use OvGME and have a few questions:

1. I assume the "Configuration root folder" is the DCS world folder, something like C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World?

2. The "Configuration mods folder" is the folder where I will store the mods. I can create it anywhere, even on a different drive to save some precious SSD space. However, isn't it going to slow the game if it calls mods from a different HDD compared to the SSD where DCS is already installed?

3. Do I have to start first OvGME before DCS? And does it have to keep running in the back?

Hello,

I am just starting to use OvGME and have a few questions:

1. I assume the "Configuration root folder" is the DCS world folder, something like C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World?

2. The "Configuration mods folder" is the folder where I will store the mods. I can create it anywhere, even on a different drive to save some precious SSD space. However, isn't it going to slow the game if it calls mods from a different HDD compared to the SSD where DCS is already installed?

3. Do I have to start first OvGME before DCS? And does it have to keep running in the back?

1. correct

2. correct. It can be located anywhere, No, it's not going to slow the game down, as it is a one off enable or disable process.

3. No, you don't need to do anything after you've enabled the mods once.

Remember to disable all mods before doing any kind of DCS update.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

1. correct

2. correct. It can be located anywhere, No, it's not going to slow the game down, as it is a one off enable or disable process.

3. No, you don't need to do anything after you've enabled the mods once.

Remember to disable all mods before doing any kind of DCS update.

Thanks!

It could become confused about what to backup. When you enable a mod, it backs up the original files to your specified location, and then copies the modded files in their place. When you disable a mod, it restores the backed up files to their original location.

So, if you do an update without disabling a mod, OvGME will think that the mod files are still in place whereas they are not, and it will restore possibly old backup files on top of the new updated original files if you subsequently disable a mod.

I hope you follow that!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Ideally you should use the saved games path instead of the program files path to dcs in my experience

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

If I'm running the most up to date version of DCS openbeta what should my saved games dcs folder be called? I'm using DCS.openbeta and nothing works.
You just point it to the ../Saved Games/ folder. The app finds the correct version on it's own.

Sent from my Moto Z Play using Tapatalk

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

- ҉ - Blackshark Cockpit Trainer - ҉ -    Thread   | Download

It could become confused about what to backup. When you enable a mod, it backs up the original files to your specified location, and then copies the modded files in their place. When you disable a mod, it restores the backed up files to their original location.

So, if you do an update without disabling a mod, OvGME will think that the mod files are still in place whereas they are not, and it will restore possibly old backup files on top of the new updated original files if you subsequently disable a mod.

I hope you follow that!

thats exactly what happened to me the other day... undid the mod... updated DCS.... re enabled the mod,... but forgot to swap out the old backup... and the next time i disabled the mod, it wrote the old files to my new install... took me a sec to figure out what happened... but its all good now..

Ryzen R7 1800x|EVGA FTW3 1080Ti|32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum@2666mhz|Samsung 750 EVO|LG 4k 50" Main Display|ASUS PB278Q Reference Display|

You just point it to the ../Saved Games/ folder. The app finds the correct version on it's own.

I Just tried that with OvGME, the result is /Saved Games/CoreMods/.. etc. The Skins aren't available in game.

If you are going to use the Saved Games folder, then the correct path is '....\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta' if you are running the OB - obviously.

Are you talking about the 'configuration root folder'? If so, then that should be 'C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta'.

I use 'C:\Users\Iain\Saved Games\OVGME\DCS' as 'configuration mods folder', and 'C:\Users\Iain\Saved Games\OVGME\DCS Open Beta Backups' for the backup folder.

Oops, sorry. I was thinking about Kneeboard Builder app.. It's wonky. Please disregard my previous comment.

Sent from my Moto Z Play using Tapatalk

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

- ҉ - Blackshark Cockpit Trainer - ҉ -    Thread   | Download

If you are going to use the Saved Games folder, then the correct path is '....\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta' if you are running the OB - obviously.

Are you talking about the 'configuration root folder'? If so, then that should be 'C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta'.

I use 'C:\Users\Iain\Saved Games\OVGME\DCS' as 'configuration mods folder', and 'C:\Users\Iain\Saved Games\OVGME\DCS Open Beta Backups' for the backup folder.

Won't using 'C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta' as the configuration root folder install the mods into the main dcs directory and not the saved games folder?

Won't using 'C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta' as the configuration root folder install the mods into the main dcs directory and not the saved games folder?

That’s the point! It installs to the main folder, and backs up what it’s overwriting. When you disable a mod in OvGME, then it restores the original files.

Read the user guide included with the software.

That’s the point! It installs to the main folder, and backs up what it’s overwriting. When you disable a mod in OvGME, then it restores the original files.

Read the user guide included with the software.

I was under the impression we could install liveries and mods into the saved games folder thus not changing anything in the main DCS folder.

I was under the impression we could install liveries and mods into the saved games folder thus not changing anything in the main DCS folder.

Yes, you can use Saved Game folder for some mod types, but others need to use the main game folder. I find that too messy, so I use the main folder for everything.

Have been using this for a very long time now and its incredigly handy and a pleasure to use, so thanks for your efforts!

Two things i feel would make it a tiny bit more convinient; when altering a profile and saving it (correct me if i am missing something here), you always have to type a new profile name. I don't see a simple 'save profile' button. I thus always type in the old profiles name and override.

Second; i would love to have a ''one-stop-shop'' deactivate/activate profile button right on the main menu that removes/adds all mods to make updating DCS even simpler. I know, its not much work, but right now you first have to select all mods from the mod-list and click disable, run the DCS updater, and then click through ovgmes top taps to renable a given profile.

Again, its just my take on what would make it incredibly easy and convinient to use. Its already incredibly useful the way it is now. Cheers mate!

Yes, you can use Saved Game folder for some mod types, but others need to use the main game folder. I find that too messy, so I use the main folder for everything.

There are some mods which MUST be installed into the Saved Games folder structure, bc they don't have any signature files. If you install them into the DCS root folders, they will not work.

Besides, those mods which work in the Saved Games folders only need to be installed once. You don't use OvGME to do that, bc there's no point to it.

Very simple; not confusing; not difficult.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

There are some mods which MUST be installed into the Saved Games folder structure, bc they don't have any signature files. If you install them into the DCS root folders, they will not work.

Besides, those mods which work in the Saved Games folders only need to be installed once. You don't use OvGME to do that, bc there's no point to it.

Regardless, putting any mod or livery into the proper saved games folder structure doesn't work for me.

... those mods which work in the Saved Games folders only need to be installed once. You don't use OvGME to do that, bc there's no point to it.

I dont agree, as a Mod on saved games can still be the source of problems ... so, it is useful to be able to disable those Mods when you are diagnosing a dcs trouble. Besides, Ovgme makes it easy to handle two destinations using one profile for each.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

I have not come across any mods which MUST be installed into Saved Games. What is an example? I’m not doubting, just curious.

Despite what you say, it is very confusing for people - hence the number of queries from many people in various threads. It is never clear what type of mod needs to go where. The advice in the manual is to use the main install folder, and I have had no issues when doing that.

The latest iterations of the 476th NTTR objects mod goes into the saved games folder. Earlier versions worked fine when placed in the main game folders, but i can't get this to work like i used to. The mods instructions clearly state to place it in the saved games folders, so no biggy there.

And once again I must deeply, and completely thank you, Sedenion, for this software. You have made modding easier, and much better!

I have found a bug on the 1.7.4 version(windows 10 x64)

The Dropdown list where we put the game's name, cuts out the first entries as the list grows on in size. It only holds up to 30 entries, beyond that it will cut out alphabetically, each entry.

Here's the screenshot. At the top of my head, it is missing 2 or 3 more entries. American Truck Simulator is the only one I remember the name of.

s1Rh30O.png

Hope this helps...

Again, thanks for the OVGME!

• 2 weeks later...