VR best practices?

DeltaMike

I've been doing flight Sims since the F16 first came out on the black-and-white Mac but I'm new to DCS having returned to the hobby because of VR, which is pretty amazing IMO.

Interested in developing multiplayer missions that are VR optimized and looking for thoughts on best practices for mission design.

Much as I love buzzing around in vintage aircraft I'm already getting the feeling that decent radar really adds to the experience, so I guess I'm looking at scenarios that can accommodate gen 4 aircraft.

Curious what the VR enthusiasts are looking for. What matters, what doesn't matter, what makes the experience better and what aggravates you.

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

• 2 weeks later...

Because VR software loads the CPU so heavily, it is important in VR optimized missions to keep mission AI units to the minimum necessary to achieve the desired pilot experience. One criticism I have of many published missions is the number of units that are largely, if not completely, transparent to the human pilot.

One example is AI SEAD groups. First, they are unreliable. Second, the human pilot, in the vast majority of missions, is aware of the SEAD only through radio transmissions. The SEAD objective can be produced through triggers and scripts with randomness and radio transmissions at MUCH less CPU load. Pilot experience will be identical. Many missions also have numerous ground unit engagements that have no impact on the human pilot.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies.

I really like the Aggressors campaign, which I think hits the high points. The Nevada map is VR friendly, yeah it's gorgeous at sunrise. And each mission is really focused, with a lot more attention to radio messages than AI units running around.

I was a little worried about spotting targets, but I think VR is good enough if you're careful to include the right navigation information and the right visual references.

Through The Inferno strikes me as a good setup, you can do a lot on that map but only certain missions are active at any given time.

That said, I spent a little time on Georgia At War, which is pretty much a 24/7 charlie foxtrot (I love it!) but my little system handles it fine for the brief amount of time I'm typically still alive. I imagine if all those blue force units were AI it would be a different matter though... suspecting multiplayer is the way to go for complex missions... wonder how much of the AI movement is off-line... a lot I'll bet...

Right now focused on fun single-player training missions for F18. First one was aerial refueling, navigation, and Maverick targeting. Working on a GBU scenario now. Once the HARM comes out I'll set something up but it'll probably be run SEAD then rearm/refuel and do the bombing run, rather than trying to hand any of that off to AI which I agree, seems kinda pointless.

Edited by DeltaMike

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

When you fly a mission on a server, are all the AI behavior calculations being done server side or client side? If it's server side, would it be possible to run a dedicated server locally on your machine so that all that stuff is happening on its own CPU core instead of the one that's running your DCS 3D rendering?