Old 07-14-2018, 09:00 PM   #2911
Robert31178

+1 more for a UH/MH/HH-60.
Robert31178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 09:53 PM   #2912
TLTeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiGon View Post
I totally agree with you. The Tornado and the Viggen are indeed based on the same concept.

I'm very interested in the differences between the british and the german Tornados, especially in the very first Tornado (GR.1/IDS). I did not know about the additional fuel tanks in the fins of the british GR.1, so that's something new for me, thanks! I've also heard that it was not possible in the british GR.1. to project the radar picture onto the map display, like it was possible on the german IDS. Do you know anything about that or any other differences between the two?

Here's something I've also wondered about: Is the RECCE actually a modified Tornado variant or is it just the standard IDS Tornado with a RECCE pod attached?

I'm pretty sure the italian ECRs don't carry guns too, as the space is needed for the emitter location system.

Italian ECR Tornado without guns:

IDS Tornado with guns for comparison:

Ah alright. I thought both only carried one gun, while the other was removed for extra equipment. Guess I was wrong.
TLTeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 01:24 AM   #2913
BigBadVuk+
Posting Rights Revoked

Well to be honest, right now, anything supporting cockpit dual sit in MP would be actually amazing.
BigBadVuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 08:24 AM   #2914
Purre

No idea what will or should be the next plane, but I hope that at some point we get Saab 29 Tunnan.
Purre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 12:39 PM   #2915
Bananabrai

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiGon View Post
I totally agree with you. The Tornado and the Viggen are indeed based on the same concept.

I'm very interested in the differences between the british and the german Tornados, especially in the very first Tornado (GR.1/IDS). I did not know about the additional fuel tanks in the fins of the british GR.1, so that's something new for me, thanks! I've also heard that it was not possible in the british GR.1. to project the radar picture onto the map display, like it was possible on the german IDS. Do you know anything about that or any other differences between the two?

Here's something I've also wondered about: Is the RECCE actually a modified Tornado variant or is it just the standard IDS Tornado with a RECCE pod attached?

I'm pretty sure the italian ECRs don't carry guns too, as the space is needed for the emitter location system.
The RECCE had an additional control panel for the RECCE pods, and the center line pylon had additional wiring. So kind of in between a separate variant and standard IDS.
But for a potential Tornado IDS Module, it would be easier to make an IDS and the RECCE an option, than to make a GR.1 and a GR.1A an option.
It is like having one additional "weapon" (the two different RECCE pods) and a control panel. Otherwise it is an IDS.

The Germany Navy IDS had an additional control panel for the Kormoran. So technically they are no standard IDS's as well.

With the new ASSTA 3.0/3.1 and upwards standards, they will get rid of the differences, mostly.
Apart from the ECR having no guns and having an ELS, they all get FLIR, same software, data-link, and can all deploy all weapons.
They won't all deploy everything though, because every squadron is specialized on different tasks.

I red that the Sea Eagle didn't need a control panel, but I'm not sure.
I'll try and find out more about the radar views on British jets, but I have the same information as you do.

I'm not sure about the Italian IDS and ECR. Some were retrofitted from IDS to ECR. But they shouldn't have guns.
The ELS (Emitter Locater System) sensors are mounted inside the wing root, where the big black area is. The IDS has smaller black "fields/patches" on the wing root front
The ELSs' "black-boxes" behind the scenes and the ODIN (a kind of data-link between ECR Tornados) took the space of both guns.

The Tornado was designed with the newest space saving design inside the fuselage in mind.
All tanks were out of self sealing rubber bags rather than just sealed metal compartments.
I had a look at it last week and they used unbelievably small spaces for fuel, even below and in between the engines. Some as big as small handbags, it feels like.
I guess they have about 26 bags or so just inside the fuselage. So I guess the Italians had to use the same space.

A bit of info is also available on the official website and this other one:

http://www.tornadosig.com
https://www.panavia.de/

The next days I will order this book: Tornado Gr1: An Operational History by Michael John W. Napier

I hope to find things that I don't know about the brit Tornado

Wish list: DCS: PA-200 Tornado, Improved Combined Arms, Improved Logistics

Last edited by Bananabrai; 07-17-2018 at 07:25 AM.
Bananabrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 12:44 PM   #2916
Bananabrai

Quote:
Originally Posted by westr View Post
Good post
thanks mate

Wish list: DCS: PA-200 Tornado, Improved Combined Arms, Improved Logistics
Bananabrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 10:31 AM   #2917
schroedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananabrai View Post
I'm not sure about the Italian IDS and ECR. Some were retrofitted from IDS to ECR. But they shouldn't have guns.
The ELS (Emitter Locater System) sensors are mounted inside the wing root, where the big black area is. The IDS has smaller black "fields/patches" on the wing root front
The ELSs' "black-boxes" behind the scenes and the ODIN (a kind of data-link between ECR Tornados) took the space of both guns.

The next days I will order this book: Tornado Gr1: An Operational History by Michael John W. Napier

I am pretty sure that the ETS in the ECR Tornados is under the front belly behind the front wheel.

Italian ECRs are modifed IDSs, whereas german ones are new built. It is obvious when you look at the engines, the IDS and italian ECR have RB199-34R Mk.103 but the german ECRs have RB199-34R Mk.105 and the ADV/F3 have the Mk.104 version.
All IDSs have two 27mm guns, all F3/ADVs have one 27mm and the ECRs don't have any guns.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	175919.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	453.4 KB
ID:	190171   Click image for larger version

Name:	3-a-luftwaffe-tornado-ids-over-northern-gert-kromhout.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	190172  

Last edited by schroedi; 07-18-2018 at 10:36 AM.
schroedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 12:13 PM   #2918
QuiGon
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananabrai View Post
The RECCE had an additional control panel for the RECCE pods, and the center line pylon had additional wiring. So kind of in between a separate variant and standard IDS.
But for a potential Tornado IDS Module, it would be easier to make an IDS and the RECCE an option, than to make a GR.1 and a GR.1A an option.
It is like having one additional "weapon" (the two different RECCE pods) and a control panel. Otherwise it is an IDS.

The Germany Navy IDS had an additional control panel for the Kormoran. So technically they are no standard IDS's as well.

With the new ASSTA 3.0/3.1 and upwards standards, they will get rid of the differences, mostly.
Apart from the ECR having no guns and having an ELS, they all get FLIR, same software, data-link, and can all deploy all weapons.
They won't all deploy everything though, because every squadron is specialized on different tasks.

I red that the Sea Eagle didn't need a control panel, but I'm not sure.
I'll try and find out more about the radar views on British jets, but I have the same information as you do.

The Tornado was designed with the newest space saving design inside the fuselage in mind.
All tanks were out of self sealing rubber bags rather than just sealed metal compartments.
I had a look at it last week and they used unbelievably small spaces for fuel, even below and in between the engines. Some as big as small handbags, it feels like.
I guess they have about 26 bags or so just inside the fuselage. So I guess the Italians had to use the same space.

A bit of info is also available on the official website and this other one:

Great post, thanks mate!

And Napier is a great chap. I've read his book "Tornado over the Tigris" and enjoyed it a lot.

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

QuiGon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 02:00 PM   #2919
kotor633

With this module, a dream would come true for me. All other modules would be meaningless to me.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Panavia-Tornado-in-formation.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	179.4 KB
ID:	190365  
kotor633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 12:05 PM   #2920
hovring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas_From_Hell View Post
My ideal somewhat realistic picks would be AMX, A-6E or MiG-29A. Draken or Gripen would also be a blast, but the latter has a lot of classified stuff.

Yeah a J-35 Draken would be a dream!!
hovring is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dcs, mig-25