Make Jester say speed while in a dogfight.

feipan

Currently Jester only tells the position of the bandit. But in a dogfight when padlocked on the target, I don't see vital information like speed. Here a human RIO can help out by reading out knots.

Jester could be helpful here too, in addition to saying bandit position by also saying speed.

He cant be looking at the bandit and the speedo at the same time. Just sayin.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Thus the desire for the Sparrowhawk...

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

He cant be looking at the bandit and the speedo at the same time. Just sayin.

It should probably be in the WVR menu, as an option. Which would lead to less bandit call outs, and add in some air speed checks. Or forsake all bandit call outs, for a repeated and constant air speed check.

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

??

A number of people either don't like the current HUD and-or feel they can't maneuver the plane successfully without a modern HUD (the likes of the one found on the F-15, 16 and 18). Hence the demand for the Sparrowhawk HUD, and early 2000's HUD update, that brought the F-14B HUD closer to the other legacy fighters standards as far as HUD goes.

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

It's not about not "liking" or being held back with the old HUD. It would be for the reasons they were added to the fleet in Real Life: increased situational awareness, lighter weight, etc:

"...the VDIG-R gives pilots enhanced situational awareness by providing primary flight information and navigation data on the HUD, as well as on the panel displays. Pilots, therefore, do not have to look down for essential flight information, such as dive angle, angle of attack, airspeed, altitude, horizon, velocity vector and steering cues. It also provides weather landing data, target, peak aircraft "g" loading, and heading and barometric altimeter readings, as well as weapons symbology projected in both the air-to-ground and air-to-air modes. With all this information provided at eye level, F-14B pilots have experienced less fatigue, achieved greater situational awareness, and improved combat proficiency during more than 10,000 flying hours with the VDIG-R fleet-wide."

https://www.aviationtoday.com/2003/11/01/new-hud-for-the-tomcat/

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

You should be able to feel the speed (you dont even have to think of it in numbers but in a sense of slow, too slow, fast)

BFM in the Tomcat is feeling and hearing what the plane tells you and responding.

Also for those asking for a new HUD because "its too hard" my response is get good.

It's not about not "liking" or being held back with the old HUD. It would be for the reasons they were added to the fleet in Real Life: increased situational awareness, lighter weight, etc:

https://www.aviationtoday.com/2003/11/01/new-hud-for-the-tomcat/

Proceeds to quote an article on how the new HUD would increase a number of performance parameters in pilots :D

Yeah i know it provides advantages, new tech usually does. I personally don't need it, nor want it. If someone offered me an F-14D, sure i'd buy it, but only because i'm a collector and a completionist :D

I'll still spend most of my time in the F-14A (alas, it is yet to come to life). Capabilities aren't what a find paramount for my enjoyment of a module in DCS. :pilotfly:

Ha ha. The period hi viz liveries are the main reasons I would fly the A, if not time specific scenarios and/ or campaigns.

Otherwise I'd probably spend most of my time in an F-14D if I had the choice, though an F-14B Upgrade would also be quite enjoyable.

Specs & Wishlist:

As a VR player it would be great to have jester tell us if the bandit is hot or cold or other aspect info. Even if I can see the pixel with VR screens it can be a challenge to tell the orientation and general direction of a bandit.

With an option of airspeed readouts in a dogfight, it would be great to be able to ask Jester to tell us if the bandit is coming in hot, turning cold, diving, climbing, etc.

It's YOUR job to fly the airplane while he maintains visual of the bandit. Your responsibility to fly the aircraft includes energy management.

Second: As if you haven't figured out already, Jester recording stack up and that causes delays. You want to hear your airspeed from 30-40 seconds ago? Yeah, didn't think so.

I don't know what the point is of wasting your energy with this crowd. This argument has been going on for months now, and almost every thread is now littered with Sparrowhawk and D model requests. They're so hell bent on micromanaging the plane with performance charts they're incapable of flying the A/C with the information and feedback presented, let alone comprehend energy management.

The audio and shaking does an excellent job of telling you if you are inducing more drag than you should and if you can't tell the AOA Indexer will. You don't need FFB and you don't need G-Forces. Personally it sounds like excuses to me. The airspeed indicator is right there next to the VDI and is NOT that hard to read in VR or otherwise. Of course its not going to tell you you're flying 409.125 knots, but you don't need it.

As for Jester. I'd rather have his bandit position call-outs improved than add another loop of code giving me redundant/useless information in a fight. Last night I was yelling at my RIO to tell me where the bandit is, not what my speed was. Even if I know what my speed is, what is it going to help me mid turn? The shaking will tell me if I have to back off or keep going.

I don't know what the point is of wasting your energy with this crowd. This argument has been going on for months now, and almost every thread is now littered with Sparrowhawk and D model requests. They're so hell bent on micromanaging the plane with performance charts they're incapable of flying the A/C with the information and feedback presented, let alone comprehend energy management.

The audio and shaking does an excellent job of telling you if you are inducing more drag than you should and if you can't tell the AOA Indexer will. You don't need FFB and you don't need G-Forces. Personally it sounds like excuses to me. The airspeed indicator is right there next to the VDI and is NOT that hard to read in VR or otherwise. Of course its not going to tell you you're flying 409.125 knots, but you don't need it.

As for Jester. I'd rather have his bandit position call-outs improved than add another loop of code giving me redundant/useless information in a fight. Last night I was yelling at my RIO to tell me where the bandit is, not what my speed was. Even if I know what my speed is, what is it going to help me mid turn? The shaking will tell me if I have to back off or keep going.

This^^^^

Chaogen's comments illustrate something that I find quite interesting, not just in the HB module, but across the different simulation communities. If something seems difficult, then the response is often a demand that some change be made to make the task easier. It is a false assumption.

Upgrading the HUD won't solve your problems, not at all. In fact, digital airspeed, AOA or altitude takes longer to interpret than an analog gauge. The core issue here is that the FBW modules, and the poor quality of flight sims in general (handling and structural limitations specifically), have spawned a generation of expectations that are very different from reality.

Think about it. When the pilot knows that he or she can't change the aircraft or the displays, then the pilot approaches the problem very differently. You want to keep your wings? You have to learn and adapt to the characteristics of the aircraft you were awarded, whether you liked it or not. You have to master the beast, and all aircraft have design deficiencies that are a PITA.

Fascinating to watch the different mindsets.

As far as airspeed calls. I did occasionally ask for airspeed for one reason and in one scenario- a pure 1v1 when I wanted to know that I had enough energy to get over the top of a vertical killing maneuver. 90% of the time, you already knew, without glancing inside. Other than that, once in a visual engagement, the RIO needed to be heads out, and let the pilot fly.

The Tomcat is very easy to fly. It gave more feed back than the trainers that Naval Aviators came from. More stable, more honest, more power, better displays, better cues. The RIO was a godsend, let him do the radar work, you listen and visualize the tactical situation. That's the way the aircraft was designed to function.

Edited by Victory205

Viewpoints are my own.

Ha ha. The period hi viz liveries are the main reasons I would fly the A, if not time specific scenarios and/ or campaigns.

Otherwise I'd probably spend most of my time in an F-14D if I had the choice, though an F-14B Upgrade would also be quite enjoyable.

For me, it's kinda the other way around.

The F-14D came so late, in so few a number and was used almost exclusively as mud mover, that i just can't relate to it (operationally). If you believe, i am yet to drop a single bomb in it, dumb or guided and not because Jester doesn't handle targeting pods yet. I just don't do ground attack. Or when i do (once in a blue moon) i usually do it in a dedicated platform. I mean, i have the Hornet as well, and i haven't done a single bomb run in that thing as well. Did a couple of strafing runs though.......

Now the F-14A......that thing flew air superiority for the Navy, up until the early to mid 90's. It was its raison d'etre alongside fleet defense. And that i would fly all day if i didn't need to go to work, eat, or in other ways maintain this mortal shell :P

Upgrading the HUD won't solve your problems, not at all. In fact, digital airspeed, AOA or altitude takes longer to interpret than an analog gauge. The core issue here is that the FBW modules, and the poor quality of flight sims in general (handling and structural limitations specifically), have spawned a generation of expectations that are very different from reality.

It is an unfortunate mindset yes, and unfortunately quite common among the flight sim community. I think its origins lie in the very nature of the sims that most of us started with and-or played throughout most of our sim "careers". We had static views only, and the primary one usually involved a look through the HUD. This made most of us "HUD flyers". Add to this the obsession that some of us have with cockpits and procedures (the cockpit flyers) and i think it's not that difficult to imagine why most (or at least many) of the sim crowd is so dependent on these "digital aids".

It took me personally a few months of lying just WW2 props in that other sim back in the early to mid 2000's to break away from all the bad habits i had acquired in the 90's. Having a force feedback device (even a simple a stick shaker) also helped me a lot. But i guess, many people didn't go through the same path. My advice to them would be to go to the basics first. Learn how to fly the visual patterns first. Then the instrument part. And after that.....well, after that you won't need the HUD. But certainly can understand why some would feel handicapped without one. I know i felt that way long time ago!

• 2 weeks later...

This plane it a treat! I stand corrected. No need for a speedo on the hud. The plane quite honestly tells you what it wants and needs. Just don’t piss her off by yankin her stick. She’ll throw you every time!!!

I9 (5Ghz turbo)2080ti 64Gb 3200 ram. 3 drives. A sata 2tb storage and 2 M.2 drives. 1 is 1tb, 1 is 500gb.

Valve Index, Virpil t50 cm2 stick, t50 base and v3 throttle w mini stick. MFG crosswind pedals.

This plane it a treat! I stand corrected. No need for a speedo on the hud. The plane quite honestly tells you what it wants and needs. Just don’t piss her off by yankin her stick. She’ll throw you every time!!!

fly her like a MASSIVE warbird :pilotfly:

7700k @5ghz, 32gb 3200mhz ram, 2080ti, nvme drives, valve index vr

There's a reason why the AOA indicator is big and in the pilots face and the airspeed indicator is less so... just say'in.

There's also a reason airspeed and AOA were added to the HUD. :P

Specs & Wishlist:

This is why I love the warbirds in DCS. They pretty much taught me what energy management is how it relates to BFM and just the basics of flying in general. After that experience it's hard to like the FBW jets again. The F14 is a dream come true in that regard, no hand holding, but she still tells you all you need to know without looking at a single gauge. She basically flies like a warbid, but with a lot more "oomph" :)

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.