Some Questions On Adding 2D Images to a Cockpit

SFGCactus

Hey guys,

I have some very limited skinning experience (currently using GIMP, I've got the basics down) and have some questions regarding cockpit skinning. I've been trying to quickly slap on a photo to the airframe's cockpit, but to no avail.

1. What format do you usually work with? I'm currently taking the DDS, opening it in GIMP (which then converts it to XCF) then converting it back to DDS.

2. Which compression works best? Is there one set compression that DCS can only use?

3. What's the quickest way to identify certain parts of the cockpit on the DDS without having to constantly go back and forth to check where your edit ended up?

Thanks,

Cactus

Update:

After some more experimentation, it's not as drag and drop as it seems. I can get my image to display just fine, but the normalmap of the surface beneath bleeds through unto the image giving it a weathered or sometimes "rough" look.

I've done a fair amount of searching for material on the subject, but I've been surprised at how little discussion or documentation exists.

If any experts could shine some light on this it would be greatly appreciated.