A-10C Discussion

McBlemmen

Found this fottage of 455th Air Expeditionary Wing from Airboyd. At 1.43 you can see the pilot remove what I believe is a protection for the HMCS. If I read correctly this is from Bagram Airfield, Afghanistan, but correct me if I am wrong.

Cheers

Hans

Edited by Hansolo
Forgot link

I was just playing this excellent mod for Arma 2 and 3 (ish) tonight of the Apache Longbow. Seriously realistic systems integration for an Arma mod. It of course had an HMD and it was ridiculously badass.

With it you can direct the intelligent radar sensors focus, you can slew rocket pods, aim the gun, aim Hellfires, look off bore and fire Stingers, look off bore and see an artificial horizon with TVV, speed, VVI, and alt/rdralt, you can also use it as a laser pointer to direct munitions, get range to target, or mark waypoints.

So... uhhh yea, HMD/HMCS or whatever its called... pretty freaking useful for ground attack. 15 minutes in and I never switched the sucker off. It felt naked not having it by a half hour in.

Warning: Nothing I say is automatically correct, even if I think it is.

I think HMCS is more appropriate for fighters, not ground pounders. I do also believe that Mark I eyeball is the best invention out there. Thanks to paul and ralfi for the negatives.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

I was just playing this excellent mod for Arma 2 and 3 (ish) tonight of the Apache Longbow. Seriously realistic systems integration for an Arma mod. It of course had an HMD and it was ridiculously badass.

With it you can direct the intelligent radar sensors focus, you can slew rocket pods, aim the gun, aim Hellfires, look off bore and fire Stingers, look off bore and see an artificial horizon with TVV, speed, VVI, and alt/rdralt, you can also use it as a laser pointer to direct munitions, get range to target, or mark waypoints.

So... uhhh yea, HMD/HMCS or whatever its called... pretty freaking useful for ground attack. 15 minutes in and I never switched the sucker off. It felt naked not having it by a half hour in.

This version of the a-10c is a different than the one that has HMCS and the ablitly to del/add markpoints, etc many more variants and details can be found on the forums here somewhere.

Intel i9-9900K 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080tiftw3, Windows 10, 1tb 970 M2, TM Warthog, 4k 144hz HDR g-sync.

This version of the a-10c is a different than the one that has HMCS and the ablitly to del/add markpoints, etc many more variants and details can be found on the forums here somewhere.

I'm really just commenting on the general utility that a head unit can offer a ground pounder in terms of SA and ease of target and weapons management.

I really don't get what WildBill is trying to say really. I don't think you got a leg to stand on buddy. ;)

A HMS is something I would find very useful in the A-10. A lot of times I acquire a target with the targeting pod, but I don't fly straight to it. A HMS would be a great help in keeping my eyes on the target at all times, and flying much more accurate maneuvers.

I think HMCS is more appropriate for fighters, not ground pounders. I do also believe that Mark I eyeball is the best invention out there. Thanks to paul and ralfi for the negatives.

You're welcome. You obviously have no idea how HMCS is incorporated into the A-10 otherwise maybe you wouldn't be so narrow minded.

I think the eye is designed for spotting targets while the hmcs is designed to turn that information into data the weapon systems can use in the same fashion we use the tgp now. It doesn't replace- it compliments.

I'm not sure how a person could say one is better than the other. That's like saying an omelette is better than a sunny day.

An omelette at the start of a sunny day, however would be dynamite!

"ENO"

Type in anger and you will make the greatest post you will ever regret.

"Sweetest's" Military Aviation Art

I would think HMCS would actually be more beneficial in attack aircraft, that do most of their job WVR of their targets. Cueing your sensors air-air is much simpler than cueing them onto a position on the ground, which is probably why the technology started with attack aircraft.

I had a look at the Jaguar one back when they flew and it was pretty damn special. Imagine your 9 line coming with a datalink position that is then translated into a position in your helmet. Conversely being able to look at enemy positions and then transmit them to the men on the ground or you wingmen via datalink.

Edited by Kaiza
[url=http://www.aef-hq.com.au/aef4/forumdisplay.php?262-Digital-Combat-Simulator][SIGPIC]http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/2500/a10161sqnsignitureedite.png[/SIGPIC][/url]

Mark I eyeballs beats any invention out there.

Not when you've got eyesight like me! :D

Thank god for optometrists, contact lenses and aviator sunglasses.

Oh and for Targeting pods, laser designation, zoomed optics and thermal imaging also I guess.

Edited by |DUSTY|

F-15E | AH-64 | F/A-18C | F-14B | A-10C | UH-1H | Mi-8MTV2 | Ka-50 | SA342 | Super Carrier | Nevada | Persian Gulf | Syria |

Intel Core i7 11700K - 32GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4 - MSI GeForce RTX 3060 Gaming X 12GB - Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe SSD 1TB

I'm surprised that no modder has attempted to incorporate this into the A-10? I can't imagine it would be too hard.

Well it would be very possible to do it within the framework of the sim relatively easily. We've already seen this kind of thing demonstrated in the Ka-50, meanwhile the functioning of the HUD on the A-10C can basically do most of what an HMD would do anyway, but just restricted to the LOS of the HUD glass so that says that the aircraft itself already possesses a head start.

The hard part would be restructuring the HOTAS to have a new sensor. There's also the fact that getting a sensor to talk to another sensor would probably be tricky.

Overall "easy" would probably be relative to say making an AFM for an FC3 aircraft... for a developer. For someone without source code access? Probably a nightmare if not downright impossible.

• 6 months later...
Nice, feels like you're really there. Now if only the technology exist to import that to a 3D model maybe sim cockpit development wouldn't take so long...

yea that would be awesome! But dont wanna think about the hard work you need to get a software like this :joystick:

Regards

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Never parachute into an area you've just bombed

You never have too much fuel, unless you burn.

And here is the F-15A Eagle:

http://www.nmusafvirtualtour.com/media/070/F-15A%20Cockpit.html

and the F-117A Nighthawk:

http://www.nmusafvirtualtour.com/media/073/F-117A%20Cockpit.html

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I love how like half of the guages in the F-117 have been removed or plated over.

DCS: F-4E really needs to be a thing!!!!!!

Aircraft: A-10C, Ka-50, UH-1H, MiG-21, F-15C, Su-27, MiG-29, A-10A, Su-25, Su-25T, TF-51