Air to Ground radar? - Page 4 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 09-17-2019, 07:39 AM   #31
danvac

@QuiGon Can you point to post which will prove that engineer working on that left company...

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiGon View Post
Because it's difficult and a lot of work to implement. And because EDs original engineer for that task left the company.

Last edited by danvac; 09-17-2019 at 08:03 AM.
danvac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 07:59 AM   #32
QuiGon
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by danvac View Post
@QuiGon Can you point to post which will prove that engineer working on that left company or you are just trolling?
I'm not trolling, thanks...

I'm trying to find the original post where ED announced that their A/G radar engineer left the company, but it's giving me a hard time to find it again.
Here's a post of me and someone else talking about it a while ago: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php...88&postcount=7

Edit: Still can't find the original announcement, but here's a post from Wags, where he mentions it too: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php...0&postcount=80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wags View Post
Supporting tech like the A/G radar (we lost our original engineer on this) and an improved FLIR rendering system are in work and are fundamental to A/G radar implementation and the ATFLIR.

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Last edited by QuiGon; 09-17-2019 at 08:01 AM.
QuiGon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 08:04 AM   #33
danvac

Thanks, anyway if he was working just on core technology in engine itself it should not matter that much. (if that was completed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wags View Post
There is a difference between the core AG radar rendering technology and the implementation of that tech to a specific pod. The latter just started.

Thanks

Last edited by danvac; 09-17-2019 at 08:17 AM.
danvac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 08:13 AM   #34
QuiGon
Veteran

Quote:
Thanks, anyway if he was working just on core technology in engine itself it should not matter that much.
Well, the respective core technology is a prerequisite for the actual implementation of the Hornet A/G radar.

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

QuiGon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 04:31 PM   #35
Harlikwin
Veteran

Quote:
Thanks, anyway if he was working just on core technology in engine itself it should not matter that much. (if that was completed)
LOL... ASSuming he wrote understandable well documented code and some other guy can figure what sorts of simplifications from the basic physics he was trying to make based on whatever notes he did or didn't keep. My guess is they probably had to (mostly) start over.
Old 09-17-2019, 04:52 PM   #36
Hog_No32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlikwin View Post
LOL... ASSuming he wrote understandable well documented code and some other guy can figure what sorts of simplifications from the basic physics he was trying to make based on whatever notes he did or didn't keep. My guess is they probably had to (mostly) start over.
Which we should be happy about because it significantly increases the chances for clean code provided the requirements you correctly stated would not be met!
Hog_No32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 07:46 PM   #37
Harlikwin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog_No32 View Post
Which we should be happy about because it significantly increases the chances for clean code provided the requirements you correctly stated would not be met!
I'm just pointing out one of the many very common issues in the programming world that DCS has to deal with. Yes I know folks are supposed to comment their code etc. But how well that happens and how readable and logically its presented still tend to vary greatly in my experience depending both on the programmers and on the company culture and management to some extent.
Old 09-17-2019, 08:38 PM   #38
NevSmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpto View Post
It's in the works. And it is a factor making me not having it. Yet (give me a Viper, please )

See here a summary of what's done and to do.
https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php...4&postcount=13
Cheers.

But it wouldn't be implemented in the Viper either at the first stages of development, or did I miss something ?!

Sorry, no offence, question comes just for clarification... .

All the best.
NevSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 09:07 PM   #39
Harlikwin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevSmith View Post
But it wouldn't be implemented in the Viper either at the first stages of development, or did I miss something ?!

Sorry, no offence, question comes just for clarification... .

All the best.
Nope. Not in the viper at first. I'd hope the hornet got it first and then the Viper, that would save ED alot of PR headaches .

Interestingly Deka has shown a working ground mapping radar implementation for the JF17. But then again so does HB with the viggen.