Project 10 - DCS: A-10C Warthog Promo!

Glowing_Amraam

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking forward to your own A10 movie when it comes out..:pilotfly:

Well, i downloaded the video and watched it soundless, and i have to say...

There many things that make me go hummmm...

The first and foremost is the annoying camera shaking every where andeverytime.

The camera man ain t supposed to be jerking off when recording.

Should be used with extreme parcimony, A Humvee should not shake the camera when passing, its unlikely, but it would be plausible with a tank.

Overuse of clichés...

External views?.. Who cares, we want to have impressions in cockpit...and DCS A10 promises so much in this aspect.

ut some tricks are getting repetitives.

Stunning video, just awesome, jaw dropping. Very nice work GA. Congrats on a job well done.:yes:

Antec 900 gaming tower, PSU: Corsair 750W, Q6600, Asus P5K, 8Gig Mushkin, Nvidia eVGA 280 GTX Superclocked 1G DDR3, SSDNOW200 Kingston Drive, TrackIr 3000+Vector, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Saitek rudder pedals pro, Sharp 42" inch LCD Aquo. OS: windows 7 64bit.

I've had many similar reactions when I say I fly simulators!:joystick: :pilotfly:

But I have high-realism addons and such, so it sort of intensifies the reaction. Something like: "What, you spend 30 minutes on the ground before you take off? And then you don't shoot anything? What's the fun in that?"

At that point I know I can't explain why I'm into the stuff.

Haha you can just turn around and say, "Well you just run around and randomly blow stuff up. I dont get it. Whats the point?"

Intel i7 990X, 6GB DDR3, Nvidia GTX 470 x2 SLI, Win 7 x64

http://picasaweb.google.com/sweinhart

Haha you can just turn around and say, "Well you just run around and randomly blow stuff up. I dont get it. Whats the point?"

Well, that point is rather irrelevant because my roommates play Pokemon and the Magic card game. In college. And there's an on-campus club. Just sayn'.

I only respond to that little mechanical voice that says "Terrain! Terrain! Pull Up! Pull Up!"

Who can say what is impossible, for the dream of yesterday is the hope of today and the reality of tomorrow.

-Robert Goddard

"A hybrid. A car for enthusiasts of armpit hair and brown rice." -Jeremy Clarkson

"I swear by my pretty floral bonet, I will end you." -Mal from Firefly

But so far you have not suggested a single specific way to set apart this simulation from other games without also making the promo boring ;)

Well I think a short sequence in the cockpit with some in game coms showing a few of the avionics while targeting and releasing weapons would certainly demonstrate some of the depth of the sim. That could probably be relayed n about 10 seconds. Once the weapon is launched, switch back to external view or weapon cam and watch it slam into the tank or whatever. Course since most of that can be done using just the hotas, seeing a couple different mfd screens that demonstrate a couple different weapons modes while your running in could probably do much the same thing.

Intel i7 990X, 6GB DDR3, Nvidia GTX 470 x2 SLI, Win 7 x64

http://picasaweb.google.com/sweinhart

Hey GA, I have been following this thread from the start and I just have to say, don't worry about what the three critics in this forum have to say. By the very large amount of people on this forum and others, that have voiced there opinion about how outstanding this video promo is, I would say you have out done yourself, and there is no need for improvement. You certainly have the vast majority thinking this video is outstanding, and that is all that matters.

This video is absolutely not boring and I would say that it would appeal to all audiences. I think that the three critics on here are going to still end up buying the game anyways IMHO.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Call Sign: Warhammer

Being absolutely new to this forum, but not to flight sims, this is a fantastic video. I'll be watching and anticipating more of this great project that is in the works.

"To most people, the sky is the limit. To those who love aviation, the sky is home."-----anonymous

Well I think a short sequence in the cockpit with some in game coms showing a few of the avionics while targeting and releasing weapons would certainly demonstrate some of the depth of the sim. That could probably be relayed n about 10 seconds.

Hmm, I'm not sure. If you show the displays changing etc. without any obvious input (i.e. doing it from the HOTAS) then people might wonder if it's just a cinematic thing, or a special sequence that occurs in a particular mission. If you show the mouse cursor being used to flick switches and press buttons so it's obvious that the player is causing these things to happen, then you risk making shooting things seem overly technical and tedious.

This kind of promo is aimed at a general audience, not people who already know how much fun this kind of thing is. You can't explain why a high-fidelity flight sim is awesome to people who aren't listening to you in the first place. Hopefully this video will get people listening who otherwise wouldn't consider playing a sim.

I'm just questioning if a casual gamer that's out for some flying action would chose DCS over another flying action game because of this video?

Reverse that, and ask: why would a casual gamer choose another flying action game rather than DCS because of this video? I think that's the point. Flight enthusiasts are already salivating over this product. ED has little to gain by marketing directly to 'us', since we're already going to be buying the product.

But what about the casual gamers looking for some flying action? That's where the possibility exists to expand the market. You can't do that if the first trailer they see seems boring or too technical. The very things that sell the game to 'us' are potentially going to put off the casual gamer. Even if that gamer would eventually go on to be a sim buff.

Yep 12,000 views on youtube in 2 days says something :thumbup:

Says also logically that there are no other movies of DCS-A10 anywhere as the sim is not out yet ;)

hm... but the crystal ball says also that DCS-A10 will be more popular then DCS-Ka50 :D

Edited by Kuky

No longer active in DCS...

I know I'd make a lousy director, but maybe now you understand what I've been trying to say?...

In the interest of avoiding a flame war, I will only say that the above admission will exonerate Glowing Amraam of any criticism made with respect to marketing the final product.

If you think you can do it better, then amaze us.... Please! ;)

Rectum non bustus

Fantastic!

Very good movie. Very good work.

The scenes are truly fantastic: the reflections; the fog and clouds; the transparent water; the valley snowed terrain with satellite or aerial images; the scenes with the glaring sun in cockpit and behind the F-15; the dynamic shadows at the mountains.

One off subject question: someone knows if the Nevada elevation model is based on USGS 30m or SRTM 1 arc second digital elevation data?

I'm amazed with DCS: Blackshark, I'll buy DCS: Warthog and I can't wait for a DCS: Some Multirole Fighter with a proper modelled radar system.

Luís

Edited by Xpto

104th Cobra

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ok gonna try to answer this as best as possible...

I'm basically using a formula that has proven quite effective over the years, by comparing real life clips of the A-10c, with what we see in huge blockbuster movies, and how most movie trailers are built up.

Cheers :)

I watched the movie twice with sound this time in an interval of 10 hours. So i would had 2 diferents states of mind.

I think this last part of the e-mail sum it up.

In the past => getting old.

Shake it baby! is good on very short movies like your A 10C teasers. On "long" movies its tiresome and enerving. To speak the truth, any overuse of one technique, is tiresome. Be it a visual effect (shaking) or the same kind of scene (weapon realease ->hit, weapon realease , weapon release, weapon realease -> hit) okokok i got the picture.. next topic.

I think balance is the key word. Use a technique use another, and then come back.

There other s ways to create a sense of urgency too, like in Mein hetz when you see tanks platoon formed up and crossing the coutry full speed, or the under the wing view of a T25 taking off from the taxy way and suddenly you see the paveway hitting the main takeoff landing way.

Or 2 K50 on another movie taking short vto and manoeuvering hard.

Everyone know that when normal Take off procedure are overidden, its because the PIIIP has hit the fan. No need to dizzy the spectator, you don t want anyone puking on their keyboard.

Dramaticity, will be better achieved by script than visuall effects, visuall effects are just to enhance.

In an overall, i think edge is much superior to this A10c movie, it has more flesh and muscle, A10c promo let me a sense of hastily build collection of 2 second takes, with a camera men in middle of a heavy parkinson seisure. A feeling i do not have watching Edge.

Edited by Succellus

HaF 922, Asus rampage extreme 3 gene, I7 950 with Noctua D14, MSI gtx 460 hawk, G skill 1600 8gb, 1.5 giga samsung HD.

Track IR 5, Hall sensed Cougar, Hall sensed TM RCS TM Warthog(2283), TM MFD, Saitek pro combat rudder, Cougar MFD.

Hey GA, I have been following this thread from the start and I just have to say, don't worry about what the three critics in this forum have to say. By the very large amount of people on this forum and others, that have voiced there opinion about how outstanding this video promo is, I would say you have out done yourself, and there is no need for improvement. You certainly have the vast majority thinking this video is outstanding, and that is all that matters.

This video is absolutely not boring and I would say that it would appeal to all audiences. I think that the three critics on here are going to still end up buying the game anyways IMHO.

LOL as of i needed GA to buy the game...

I support ED even if i don t play the game, we need to preserve what is left of the flight sim companies.

HaF 922, Asus rampage extreme 3 gene, I7 950 with Noctua D14, MSI gtx 460 hawk, G skill 1600 8gb, 1.5 giga samsung HD.

Track IR 5, Hall sensed Cougar, Hall sensed TM RCS TM Warthog(2283), TM MFD, Saitek pro combat rudder, Cougar MFD.

^^ he's not going to win an Oscar here, this type of critique is better left for imdb movie reviews, seems a little out of place in this context.

Besides film and editing styles vary greatly, not everyone is going to like the same things. Client is happy and the masses seemed to have received it well. Video success.

wow seriously people say this is boring?!?!?!!? Its pure excitement all the way, I love the way it built the action & the music had my pulse racing..anyone who thinks they can do better needs to put the money where their mouth is. It isn't easy making a GOOD trailer..try it and see or shut up.

I showed this promo to a 'non simmer' and it got him interested in it for sure, although a lot of people are happy to just plug in 'HAWX2' and they already think thats a hard game lol this trailer does it job..it gets you excited for the product and shows off some great eye candy.

Hmm, I'm not sure. If you show the displays changing etc. without any obvious input (i.e. doing it from the HOTAS) then people might wonder if it's just a cinematic thing, or a special sequence that occurs in a particular mission. If you show the mouse cursor being used to flick switches and press buttons so it's obvious that the player is causing these things to happen, then you risk making shooting things seem overly technical and tedious.

This kind of promo is aimed at a general audience, not people who already know how much fun this kind of thing is. You can't explain why a high-fidelity flight sim is awesome to people who aren't listening to you in the first place. Hopefully this video will get people listening who otherwise wouldn't consider playing a sim.

Reverse that, and ask: why would a casual gamer choose another flying action game rather than DCS because of this video? I think that's the point. Flight enthusiasts are already salivating over this product. ED has little to gain by marketing directly to 'us', since we're already going to be buying the product.

But what about the casual gamers looking for some flying action? That's where the possibility exists to expand the market. You can't do that if the first trailer they see seems boring or too technical. The very things that sell the game to 'us' are potentially going to put off the casual gamer. Even if that gamer would eventually go on to be a sim buff.