New System 2018

RED

Hey guys, since some of you give awesome advice I want to ask about some stuff. I am not an expert and build a system a while ago:

I5-3470

Gigabyte H77

DDDR3 8 GB @1600

HD7870 2GB

500 gb ssd

Is it a bad idea to buy not all parts at the same time? With processor and board prices falling, can i get away with buying all components but RAM and GPU and get them later?

I want to get a good but affordable system that might handle VR with further performance improvements (Vulcan) of DCS:

i5-8600k ~230€

a mainboard that supports a little bit of OC. Do you guys know one where i don't have to pay for some f* lights? In my experience there is no big difference between manufactures at that price range (MSI Z370 PC PRO good enough?) ~120€

2 x 8 GB of RAM when the price is good (somehow they all cost about the same with different Mhz and Latency?) ~160€

Power Supply and cpu cooler no idea a the moment :helpsmilie:

GPU: 1070? there is an EVGA single fan for 480€; good or bad?

now i play on 1920 X 1080 and my main problem is my 8 GB RAM and my old GPU.

-> can not join MP servers and my card hates high res. textures and MSAA :(

I want to be able to fly some more awesome RED FLAG Events and enjoy 2.5 (and maybe win some more modules, hehe)

thank you in advance!

You can; however, unfortunately the graphics card should come first if you don't buy the entire computer at once. Unlucky! If you bought everything but the graphics card, your old graphics card would be the bottleneck.

Personally, I don't advocate overclocking if money is any concern. Consider maybe going with something in style with a MSI Z270-A Pro, i5-8400, 1060 (if you plan to stay in 1920x1080, the 1060 can max out almost all graphics options; 1070 if you really want (it’s expensive) VR), 8GB RAM (if you don’t play any multiplayer; 16GB if you do), and a quiet and unassuming case with a 3-500W power supply unit?

I haven’t looked closely at the components above, but hopefully you can google for benchmarks, pricing in your country, and get the general idea.

Read my DCS 2.5 Optimisation Guide (version 2.5.4):

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3828073

none of your old core parts like RAM CPU board would work with a 7th or 8th gen CPU and/or board.

Buy cpu-mobo-ram together, add any other peripherie when you can, like GPU SSD PSU CASE etc.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

8700K or 8600K or 8350K.

Asus Prime Z370-A.

Power supply, 650w min, 7 years warranty. "All Japanese brand 105°C rated capacitors."

CPU cooler, Cooler Master Hyper 212 min.

16GB of RAM min.

Note: MSI motherboards are less capable of overclocking ability.

You have a store link?

Edited by Demon_

Attache ta tuque avec d'la broche.

8700K or 8600K or 8350K.

Asus Prime Z370-A.

Power supply, 650w min, 7 years warranty.

CPU cooler, Cooler Master Hyper 212 min.

16GB of RAM min.

Note: MSI motherboards are less capable of overclocking ability.

You have a store link?

Link for the 1070? Amazon Germany by EVGA and preorder

Thanks for the help guys! I appreciate it.

GPU: 1070? there is an EVGA single fan for 480€; good or bad?

Single fan card? The full size model? They run at higher temperature 85°C, noisier but still a 1070.

Single fan design are for a small case who can't evacuate the heat enough.

Single fan card? The full size model? They run at higher temperature 85°C, noisier but still a 1070.

Single fan design are for a small case who can't evacuate the heat enough.

It is not a "mini" card but only one fan like the founder edition. I think i will buy all but the video card for now.

My current i5 is louder than my video card and i only care about noise in idle. When i fire up DCS with a headset i do not hear any noise.

I just Bought a new computer will it run DCS 2.5 well?

Inspiron 5680

Intel® Core™ i7 8700 (6-Core/12-Thread, 12MB Cache, up to 4.6GHz with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology)

NVIDIA GTX 1060 3GB

128GB M.2 SATA SSD + 2TB SATA 7200 RPM HDD

16GB (2X8GB) 2400Mhz DDR4 Memory, up to 64GB

Windows 10 Home (64bit) English

Well, your HD7870 has only 2GB of Vram. DCS need more than twice...

Good Video, especially that he used the same resolution i have. 2.2 should be about the same as 2.5. Thanks

Inspiron 5680

Intel® Core™ i7 8700 (6-Core/12-Thread, 12MB Cache, up to 4.6GHz with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology)

NVIDIA GTX 1060 3GB

If you have it try it out! Looks good to me. Maybe your SSD storage is small. Make sure you run DCS on the SSD. That helped me a lot with stutters.

Well, your HD7870 has only 2GB of Vram. DCS need more than twice...

You probably only need 3GB VRAM in 1080p. I'm playing in 1200p with 3GB VRAM and with my current options, I've yet to experience framedrops due to VRAM.

Inspiron 5680

NVIDIA GTX 1060 3GB

What resolution? If you're playing in 1920x1080 or 1920x1200, you can check out the Low, Medium, and High presets in my optimisation guide to get an idea of what performance to expect (45-60 FPS with mostly maxed out graphics options, except anti-aliasing. Also: MSAA X8 is currently not working, which is why MSAA X4 and MSAA X8 appear with identical performance in the guide).

Edited by D.Va

You probably only need 3GB VRAM in 1080p. I'm playing in 1200p with 3GB VRAM and with my current options, I've yet to experience framedrops due to VRAM.

Depending of your game settings. You have to monitor your usage to not use more than what you have. On the video, the guy uses 4+GB of Vram.

Depending of your game settings. You have to monitor your usage to not use more than what you have. On the video, the guy uses 4+GB of Vram.

Actually, running out of VRAM doesn't do anything at all, based on my most recent benchmarks. I did report once (as you may have read) a drop from 45 to 30 FPS, which appeared to coincide with me running out of VRAM, but I wasn't able to replicate it and today I can run out as much as I want and it doesn't affect a thing (FPS or FT). Which isn't to say I don't think I wouldn't have problems running in 4K, but if DCS in theory wants 4-5GB VRAM in 1080p and you only have 3GB and play in 1200p, I've yet to find any replicable performance problems with it.

It's a matter of perception.

What some take is a nightmare for others and would never accept it.

Running out of VRAM has no negative effect. HMMMMM

Let's all buy 1GB VRAM, if it doenst matter it doesnt matter, ahhh get 512MB, naaahh wait...if it dont matter it dont matter, get 128MB cards only !

P

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

It's a matter of perception.

What some take is a nightmare for others and would never accept it.

Running out of VRAM has no negative effect. HMMMMM

Let's all buy 1GB VRAM, if it doenst matter it doesnt matter, ahhh get 512MB, naaahh wait...if it dont matter it dont matter, get 128MB cards only !

P

It's a matter of fact, not perception. Yes, running out of VRAM, as a matter of fact, isn't causing any performance problems (absolute or relative decrease in framerate or frametime) in the context we are regarding.

I'm playing DCS 2.5 with 3GB VRAM. I'm flying over Caucasus in the A-10C, monitoring my CPU, GPU, RAM, VRAM, framerate, frametime, and temperatures in MSI Afterburner, and when I hit 3GB VRAM usage, nothing out of the ordinary happens.

I have the 1060 3GB and I've also co-benchmarked Caucasus with another member that has the 1060 6GB and we have broadly identical performance.

I'm not making an argument. This isn't my opinion. I'm presenting facts.

Nop, with only 3GB of Vram, you have to lower your game settings and the game will look ugly.

DCS his your best visual benchmark.

Here are my "ugly" graphics options in 1920x1200:

Textures HIGH

Terrain Textures HIGH

Civ. Traffic HIGH

Water HIGH

Visib. Range EXTREME

Heat Blur HIGH

Shadows HIGH

Resolution 1920x1200

Aspect Ratio 16:10

Monitors 1

Res. of Cockpit Displays 1024 EVERY FRAME

MSAA X8 (X8 is broken, so it's still really X4)

Depth of Field OFF

Lens Effects DIRT+FLARE

HDR OFF

Deferred Shading ON

Clutter/Grass 1500

Trees Visibility 100%

Preload Radius 100

Chimney Smoke Density 0

Gamma 2

Anisotropic Filtering X2

Terrain Object Shadows FLAT

Global Cockpit Illumination OFF

Disable Aero Interface OFF

Vsync OFF

Full Screen ON

Scale GUI OFF

You said running out of VRAM has no negative effect.

I say, try it with 128MB and see if your statement holds true. it will not.

I am not exactly refering to your 1080p problem, I refer to the standalone statement, VRAM shortage has no side effects. This is plain wrong and dangerous to say as you lead many fellow pilots into 3GB cards and we have had way too many members complaining about that exact card and its missing ooomps, VRAM !.

The less you have the more your I/O has to shuffle from disk or RAM, either one is way slower than VRAM. Have enough VRAM missing and the gap becomes so big that you cannot fill it in time. That is when it hits performance. In your case, you might not have had too few to have the effect of I/O collaps. It will occur, just press harder. That is how you kill any system in I/O, ask more than it can bring in time, for a waiting process either to abort or perform lesser as it's data doesnt come in the right time slice. YOu press real hard on the I/O if youlack VRAM and pass this burden on to the main I/O subsystem. Add a few more gimmicks and your "tilt" comes sooner than you think.

I am not your enemy D.Va, but I am unwilling to accept many of your statements, that is in fact true.

That's a subjective question to a point and with valid differing opinions.

First, if your wanting to build a upper end system, doing it that way can help if your fairly sure you will have a enough funds over a set period of time, and for various personal financial reasons are, or have failed to have the ability to order all your components on the same day.

If you can plan and finance your build over a period of two or three months, it's a viable option. Such a plan gives you time to research and study your planned build.

But keep in mind, one major risk is, in most cases, when you do order a component, the vendor will have a limited time frame to "hassle free" return that component if it's defective. And you may not know this until you give it a good burn in.

My personal goal is to do a build from "first part ordered" to "clicking on the DCS World Icon", in less than 30 days. I certainly would recommend keeping it less than 90 day. And a lot of research, and have your build plan "set true" before you order your first component, which means, brand, vendor, cost.

Another concept to consider, is to consider your mother board and CPU as one. Most "gaming mother boards" will be optimized or developed for a certain CPU, so consider that they'll be married, like for life, no divorce. I've read where many peoples have upgraded their systems with an newer "compatible" high end CPU($), but are disappointed that they are not getting the same performance as say person X, who purchased/upgraded the same CPU, but with a chip-set (motherboard) which was designed for that particular CPU. So to future proof, for a upper end system, especially for Virtual Reality, just get the latest CPU and Chip-set (motherboard) available at the time. It is the foundation

For a Machine that will run DCS World in Virtual Reality, it ain't gonna be cheap, especially if your wanting to future proof, and go max on options..Just ask NASA...:huh: , they still waiting for their Congressional DSCVRM (DCS World 2.5 in Virtual Reality Machine) budget approval..:mad:, not likely gonna happen this year..:cry:

I think, or seems to me pretty much for a "gaming motherboard" lights are becoming a "standard feature", kinda like, you'd have to pay to have them removed.

Focus on the CPU/Chip-set and the Vendor and reviews.

Ram and Gold, whenever are the prices gonna drop..:helpsmilie:

For a VR System, study, amound of RAM is not the only factor. Again, study.

And for a VR/DCS system I'd personally for a new build plan on 32G. I have 64, not enough, just never enough Gold, I mean RAM :greedy:. But Ram sticks are something you can "add" in later thereby not loosing the value of your original acquisition.

Again, study and do the math, most boards and components have a maxim power usage (watts). Once you figured out how much power your planned system will use, add another 30% to 50%. Other words, my current system I calculated it would be 800 to 900 watts, I got a 1200 watt power supply. Get a "good" power supply. A word of advise on power supplies, don't go cheap ,because it will cost you more in the long run.

Be proactive on cooling, I have a Corsair H100i V2 water cooler, plus RAM mounted fans. A cool system is a happy system.:angel:

If at all possible, plan on a GTX1080ti or equivalent for DCS world in virtual reality. I have a GTX980ti, and in DCS World 2.5, I'm struggling. In 1.5.8 it does OK. Read here to get an ideal, my DCS 2.5 mini performance report.

Good thing about graphics cards though, is that they are easy to swap out, and fairly easy to recoup some of your funds by re-selling them on ebay,

And one more thing, get you a "good" case, mid tower minimal, I have this Corsair Vengeance C70 mid-tower PC case and I am quite happy with it. Remember, a cool system is a happy system, and the casa it lives in is a big part of that.:love:

Hope this helps, again, research, study, plan, and then purchase.

You can see my current specs below.

+1 ! excellent strategy guide !!!

Red hi I went down the route of 8600k and I have no regrets. 2.5 runs well/excellent with my system and although a 1080Ti may give better performance I am yet to be convinced

The trouble with an upgrade of this vintage is as you point out the DDR4 Ram and the Mobo to put it all in.

For some initial savings you could look at the 8400 and get 8Gb Ram to start. I had to run 8Gb ram when I first built this system due to faulty DIMMS and it ran DCS well although when I eventually got the other stick running you could tell the difference but not so much it would be a major impediment to gaming. After looking/reading etc I found the Prime A to be best board for the money. It has all the components of premium boards and a decent I/O spec. Some boards remove the mid-board USB 3 headers and lack features on the rear I/O. Gone are the days of 10 USB ports on the back :doh:

I too hate this aura stuff. I have a closed case and LED's interfere with watching movies on PC sat on the sofa:mad:

Good luck with your choices and sift through all the info folks have posted because some is downright erroneous :music_whistling:

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

That's a subjective question to a point and with valid differing opinions.

First, if your wanting to build a upper end system, doing it that way can help if your fairly sure you will have a enough funds over a set period of time, and for various personal financial reasons are, or have failed to have the ability to order all your components on the same day.

If you can plan and finance your build over a period of two or three months, it's a viable option. Such a plan gives you time to research and study your planned build.

But keep in mind, one major risk is, in most cases, when you do order a component, the vendor will have a limited time frame to "hassle free" return that component if it's defective. And you may not know this until you give it a good burn in.

My personal goal is to do a build from "first part ordered" to "clicking on the DCS World Icon", in less than 30 days. I certainly would recommend keeping it less than 90 day. And a lot of research, and have your build plan "set true" before you order your first component, which means, brand, vendor, cost.

Another concept to consider, is to consider your mother board and CPU as one. Most "gaming mother boards" will be optimized or developed for a certain CPU, so consider that they'll be married, like for life, no divorce. I've read where many peoples have upgraded their systems with an newer "compatible" high end CPU($), but are disappointed that they are not getting the same performance as say person X, who purchased/upgraded the same CPU, but with a chip-set (motherboard) which was designed for that particular CPU. So to future proof, for a upper end system, especially for Virtual Reality, just get the latest CPU and Chip-set (motherboard) available at the time. It is the foundation

For a Machine that will run DCS World in Virtual Reality, it ain't gonna be cheap, especially if your wanting to future proof, and go max on options..Just ask NASA...:huh: , they still waiting for their Congressional DSCVRM (DCS World 2.5 in Virtual Reality Machine) budget approval..:mad:, not likely gonna happen this year..:cry:

I think, or seems to me pretty much for a "gaming motherboard" lights are becoming a "standard feature", kinda like, you'd have to pay to have them removed.

Focus on the CPU/Chip-set and the Vendor and reviews.

Ram and Gold, whenever are the prices gonna drop..:helpsmilie:

For a VR System, study, amound of RAM is not the only factor. Again, study.

And for a VR/DCS system I'd personally for a new build plan on 32G. I have 64, not enough, just never enough Gold, I mean RAM :greedy:. But Ram sticks are something you can "add" in later thereby not loosing the value of your original acquisition.

Again, study and do the math, most boards and components have a maxim power usage (watts). Once you figured out how much power your planned system will use, add another 30% to 50%. Other words, my current system I calculated it would be 800 to 900 watts, I got a 1200 watt power supply. Get a "good" power supply. A word of advise on power supplies, don't go cheap ,because it will cost you more in the long run.

Be proactive on cooling, I have a Corsair H100i V2 water cooler, plus RAM mounted fans. A cool system is a happy system.:angel:

If at all possible, plan on a GTX1080ti or equivalent for DCS world in virtual reality. I have a GTX980ti, and in DCS World 2.5, I'm struggling. In 1.5.8 it does OK. Read here to get an ideal, my DCS 2.5 mini performance report.

Good thing about graphics cards though, is that they are easy to swap out, and fairly easy to recoup some of your funds by re-selling them on ebay,

And one more thing, get you a "good" case, mid tower minimal, I have this Corsair Vengeance C70 mid-tower PC case and I am quite happy with it. Remember, a cool system is a happy system, and the casa it lives in is a big part of that.:love:

Hope this helps, again, research, study, plan, and then purchase.

You can see my current specs below.

Thanks a lot! My plan now is to buy a new system in once, mabye not all the top notch components you suggested. Even a "cheap" GPU with only 4 GB VRAM (1050 TI) will be a leap in performance for me. Together with the latest CPU and mainboard as well as 16 GB RAM it should be future proof for further upgrades.

Thanks a lot! My plan now is to buy a new system in once, mabye not all the top notch components you suggested. Even a "cheap" GPU with only 4 GB VRAM (1050 TI) will be a leap in performance for me. Together with the latest CPU and mainboard as well as 16 GB RAM it should be future proof for further upgrades.

Don't skimp on the power supply :book:

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Red hi I went down the route of 8600k and I have no regrets. 2.5 runs well/excellent with my system and although a 1080Ti may give better performance I am yet to be convinced

The trouble with an upgrade of this vintage is as you point out the DDR4 Ram and the Mobo to put it all in.

For some initial savings you could look at the 8400 and get 8Gb Ram to start. I had to run 8Gb ram when I first built this system due to faulty DIMMS and it ran DCS well although when I eventually got the other stick running you could tell the difference but not so much it would be a major impediment to gaming. After looking/reading etc I found the Prime A to be best board for the money. It has all the components of premium boards and a decent I/O spec. Some boards remove the mid-board USB 3 headers and lack features on the rear I/O. Gone are the days of 10 USB ports on the back :doh:

I too hate this aura stuff. I have a closed case and LED's interfere with watching movies on PC sat on the sofa:mad:

Good luck with your choices and sift through all the info folks have posted because some is downright erroneous :music_whistling:

Thanks mate. Fortunately I can spend all at once and don't have to do bad compromises. I may still observe prices and wait. I want to be happy with the total price of the system. There are a lot of ways to spend money other than on computer hardware...