Cougar HOTAS files for the Gazelle?

Two-Six

Hummmm target, never heard of that before. Can I use it along-side Foxy with no issues? It says in the release notes that I need to unplug my cougar, install the software and re-plug..will that do anything to the firmware of the cougar?

I am a bit reluctant to try it.

Sorry for me being a bit thick but how can I use what you have?

What I could really do with is an old-school macro file and a joystick file for the Gazelle.

Edited by Two-Six

What I could really do with is an old-school macro file and a joystick file for the Gazelle.

Hello, I can help with the Macro part ... sometime ago i made an Excel Macro that converts each DCS key command, into a Foxy macro command ... this thread shows how to use it:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=183900

Hope you find it useful ... you will still have to use Foxy to bind the command onto the Cougar buttons, but at least you wont have to write the macros :)

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Humm, thanks for that. I have had a go at doing this conversion thing but so far no joy. I think I am too thick to make this work. Also I don't have Excel, I use open office so the formula doesn't seem to work and I get errors. I am no Excel expert I can do the most basic of basic things with it, that's about all.

I am not very sure how this is supposed to work.

Sorry, you need excel to use the spreadsheet, since it contain a macro to perform the conversion.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

OK, perhaps I am not so dull, I think I have got it to work!

I used Xcel on another PC and did the conversion and WOW, I now have a fully populated macro file.

Superb! That saved me a shed load of typing.

Modern technology eh?? :cry:

So now I think I need to check out how the stick should be set up and try to get it programmed.

Now...where does the ignition key go?

I used Xcel on another PC and did the conversion and WOW, I now have a fully populated macro file.

Superb! That saved me a shed load of typing.

:) I'm glad you could get it working.

So now I think I need to check out how the stick should be set up and try to get it programmed.

Now...where does the ignition key go?

I know the Gazelle is a completely different helicopter, but perhaps the key assignment that I made for my Blackshark could serve as an example:

DCS_Ka-50_Rudel.jpg

:)

Hummmm target, never heard of that before. Can I use it along-side Foxy with no issues? It says in the release notes that I need to unplug my cougar, install the software and re-plug..will that do anything to the firmware of the cougar?

I am a bit reluctant to try it.

Sorry for me being a bit thick but how can I use what you have?

TARGET is the follow-on to Foxy and works without writing to firmware. Instead of writing a profile to firmware, it creates a virtual controller in Windows at the driver/middleware level. You can use it with Foxy because they work at different levels, but I recommend setting the Cougar to DirectX mode. There's really no upside to working TARGET and Foxy at the same time. TARGET works with the Thrustmaster HOTAS controllers, MFDs, and latest rudders. Of course, you can always create a TARGET profile and exclude the Cougar if you prefer Foxy, but that kind of defeats the purpose. :smilewink:

FWIW, after going to TARGET I never had to re-flash my Cougar again.

EDIT: I no remember that in order to keep the size of the posts down, I no longer put the Cougar layout on my TARGET profile thread. Here is the Cougar layout for the Gazelle:

DCS%20SA342%20HC_zpsbkstwlem.jpg~original

Setting up my profile is more complicated than loading a Foxy macro and going for it, but there are some very nice things. For helicopters especially, I'm proud of my trimmer routine, which dynamically lets you choose both versions of the ED trimmers and gives you more control if you trimmer with the recentering mode. It's just an example of the power of TARGET.

Edited by Home Fries

That's really helpful, I still haven't tried Target but it sounds interesting and worth having a look at.

I have been making a profile for my Cougar over the weekend and putting some time in with the Gazelle and I have the fundamental things working now. Its a work in progress. Every time I go to program my Cougar its like I am starting from scratch again.

One thing, when the Xcel conversion thing is done there is lots of weird spacing in the generated macro text that needs editing to make it work right but otherwise it was super-helpful.

I am wondering what those {} brackets are?? They seem to have no function and the macro works with or without them

I will post the edited macro file and my joystick file as soon as I can.

I am wondering what those {} brackets are?? They seem to have no function and the macro works with or without them

The brackets tell the Cougar that you want the enclosed keys pressed simultaneously, rather than one after the other; so {LCTL b} means to generate a simultaneous keypress of the left control plus the b key.

I have now done a macro (.tmm) and joystick (.tmj) file for the Cougar HOTAS.

I thinks its pretty good and most of the Gazelle's functions work from the stick. It does need a few tweaks and more features added but all the hard work is done. :thumbup:

The macro file requires that the spaces are removed in front of the macro name and after the = sign...something like that, it is a little broken in its formatting but it works fine.

I have read that there is some script that can be added to give a lot more key bindings in the game and I will look into this soon.

Features include:

Hat 1 as trimmer, landing lights on/off/extend/retract/auto pilot toggle on/off/auto-collective on/off, hover hold on/off

Flare release, slave toggle, lase/fire on the trigger, view zoom in/out, microstick as free look and hat 2 as targeting camera panning, blackhot/whitehot/normal/IR/centering/zoomin/zoomout.

Two Sixs DCS Gazelle COUGAR FILES.zip

Hi,

I'm glad that you were able to create your own profile; take it as a starting point and keep updating and improving it as you learn the Gazelle, since more experience with the aircraft almost always leads you to think of more actions that your Cougar can do.

Best regards.

• 8 months later...

HOTAS Cougar Files for Gazelle

Hi Two- Six,

just found your request. Also quite late, here my files. Maybe they are of any help for you.

Cheers

Hans

DCS SA342 Gazelle.zip

WIN10-Pro., ASUS ROG Z390-E, INTEL Core i7-970K, RTX 2080Ti, 64GB RAM, ACER Predator XB271HU 2560 x 1440 144Hz, DCS Open Beta: SSD970 EVO Plus 1TB, DCS Stable: SSD 870 EVO 1TB

Thrustmaster HOTAS Cougar (U2nxt) / Foxy, Simpeds , TrackIR 5

Thanks, I will save the profile, for use when I finally get to learn the Gazelle

Ah- by the way, sorry folks for the bilingual mixture. Those files were originally for private use only.

So, excuse me for my laziness :music_whistling:not to translate properly before publication.

WIN10-Pro., ASUS ROG Z390-E, INTEL Core i7-970K, RTX 2080Ti, 64GB RAM, ACER Predator XB271HU 2560 x 1440 144Hz, DCS Open Beta: SSD970 EVO Plus 1TB, DCS Stable: SSD 870 EVO 1TB

Thrustmaster HOTAS Cougar (U2nxt) / Foxy, Simpeds , TrackIR 5

• 1 year later...

Im searching for a resolve to this. Both the Altitude Hold and Speed Hold work fine if you click on it in the cockpit. However, if you press the key bindings for either from the keyboard, they only switch position for a second and the switch returns to center position. This action is creating havoc for me with my Cougar Hotas & Foxy software. I know people will try and tell me to switch to Target software, but if I were just using the keyboard, I would imagine when you hit the key command for it, it would hold? I dont see a command for the center position, otherwise I could program it easily. I was attempting to use the dogfight switch for these actions as it seems to be the best toggle to achieve this. Please help, thanks.

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

Please help, thanks.

Hi, Attach the profile files and I will take a look at them to see if I'm able to help.

Best regards

Here is the part of the profile I need to figure out. Im not sure what files you needed me to attach? In addition, I know it will work if I do /O /H, but that hold of those key commands will continue to run until I switch it off, therefor, no other functions will work. Thanks,

BTN T7 /I

/O Speed_Mode

BTN T8 /I

/O Altitude_Mode

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

Here is the part of the profile I need to figure out. Im not sure what files you needed me to attach? In addition, I know it will work if I do /O /H, but that hold of those key commands will continue to run until I switch it off, therefor, no other functions will work. Thanks,

BTN T7/I

/O Speed_Mode

BTN T8/I

/O Altitude_Mode

If I had the profile I could have tested what I'm about to say to be sure it works, but I would try the following:

rather than use keybinds for these two functions, assign them to joystick buttons instead, like this:

pHSaTZj.jpg

And then, in Foxy use the DX command instead of keyboard macros, like this:

BTN T7/I

/O DX26

BTN T8/I

/O DX25

This allows the Foxy profile to use the joystick keybinds rather than the keyboard's .. some DCS modules treat them differently and it might work like you want.

Hope it works, Cheers!

I will send you my profile to test when I get home from work. I dont know if I can attach that file type though, unless you wish to have me send it to your email?

I actually tried to assign a joystick button to DCS control, but it wouldn't recognize and button depresses for some reason? Even with Foxy CCP On or Off?

What do you make of the fact though that when you toggle the Altitude Hold in the clickable cockpit, it stays on just fine. But if you type in the binding from the keyboard, it only switches to that position for a split second before returning to center. This concerns me as all I am trying to do with the Cougar is emulate the keyboard.

I will send you my profile to test when I get home from work. I dont know if I can attach that file type though, unless you wish to have me send it to your email?

Just use 7-zip to zip both the .tmj and .tmm files .. the Forum accepts zip files as attachments.

I actually tried to assign a joystick button to DCS control, but it wouldn't recognize and button depresses for some reason? Even with Foxy CCP On or Off?

On the Cougar CCP turn Button & Axis emulation OFF (button turns Red) for a while ... then DCS will be able to detect button presses.

What do you make of the fact though that when you toggle the Altitude Hold in the clickable cockpit, it stays on just fine.

I cant elaborate on that, maybe the developer would be able to know what's going on .. I'm just trying to find a workaround.

So I resolved 1 issue, I found in the bug report section for the Gazelle that you shouldnt use the Altitude Hold/Speed Hold for key binding, use the Mode Up/Mode Down instead, and that now works.

Now, I can get the switch to move, but I would like when the DogFight returns to center, so does the switch in the cockpit. Im pretty sure this can be done by using X1, X2 etc with some NOT modifiers, but i dont recall at all how to do that?

I have attached my Foxy Files along with a graphic I made for all of my Modules. Those who are interested can certainly use them as you like.

Fakums Gazelle V1.zip

Now, I can get the switch to move, but I would like when the DogFight returns to center, so does the switch in the cockpit. Im pretty sure this can be done by using X1, X2 etc with some NOT modifiers, but i dont recall at all how to do that?

You can use the /P (press) and /R (release) button modifiers, like this:

BTN T7/P Speed_Mode

/R Centering Switch

BTN T8 /P Altitude_Mode

/R Centering Switch

It doesnt like "Centering Switch" because there is no Macro for it.